Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you see it? KC for string orchestra
    Posted: March 07 2004 at 10:29
At one point in the early 1970's Fripp wanted to record an album of King Crimson songs played the way they shouldn't be played and I think he wanted to do a big band arrangement of Schizoid Man but apparently the record company shot him down! Bob is an odd fellow.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 10:22
Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

That would be cool.

What I would like to hear is a string orchestra trying to accomplish 21st century Schizoid man. There aren't that many virtuso violinists who would be able to transpose the entire song (If there was, it would be even rarer that he/she would even be aware of prog, much less be inspired by it)

It's a technically brilliant rock composition but I wouldn't underestimate the abilities of classical musicians I'm married to one and she breezes through  the stuff I listen to!

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 09:18

That would be cool.

What I would like to hear is a string orchestra trying to accomplish 21st century Schizoid man. There aren't that many virtuso violinists who would be able to transpose the entire song (If there was, it would be even rarer that he/she would even be aware of prog, much less be inspired by it)

drg55 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 05:16

It must be those damn KC melodies which I can't get out of my mind, unless I replace them with another one....

I was watching the Queen congratulating the English rugby union team (which unfortunately beat us Aussies), and thinking that if a small string orchestra was playing Starless in the background, with dignity and restraint, that would be just  "it".

Starless is the sort of theme that could be used to send people out to far flung places to do "noble deeds", not a noble aim as aesthetics must have a higher aim than control.  But on the otherhand, unless you were going to abolish the Monarchy, where else would you play it?

Its use in the KC song has a melancholy and possibly ironic aspect, that's before Fripp, after a section taking it apart to build the tension, blows it all away in a burst of high energy at the end.

Anyhow we can't get away from the fact its damn good music.

Cheerio,

David.
 Post Reply Post Reply