FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnexpecT -- In A Flesh Aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: UnexpecT -- In A Flesh Aquarium
    Posted: September 15 2006 at 23:38
So I just got through listening to this album. After which I sat staring at a wall for about 10 minutes wondering what the heck I just listened to.Dead Avant-garde technical symphonic extreme black cabaret metal? How the heck do you describe this? It's like what would happen if Gorguts met Athiest and Therion in a threesome and somehow produced one insanely twisted child.  I mean, can you call it prog? Can you call it... anything? I don't know whether to suggest it as a new entry or to warn people to avoid it at all costs.Shocked I mean, dear God, it's enough to make me use smileys.

So... does anybody know what the hell I just listened to?Confused
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 02:40
It's progressive music, but I don't think it's prog. I haven't listened to it yet - but I did listen to the lengthy samples they have on their myspace page. I think for this type of band the question "is it prog" is a really difficult one ... IMO there is a vast "gray" area between truly prog bands and bands which are merely experimental.
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 11:45
Aye, symphonic black metal with some clean female vocals and a violin is necessarily experimental. But it's difficult to grasp their rhythms on the first spin -- I had to give it a second go to figure it out. The rhythmic variations remind hugely of Atheist. Since Atheist is in the Archives (and if you ask me, they definitely belond there), I wonder if it might fit in there as well.

I would recommend giving the entire album a few spins, try and figure it out. I'm leaning toward prog simply for diversity and complexity -- pull out Feasting Fools for a blasting Athiest reference, or the more tame yet still disturbing Desert Urbania for a more standard prog metal feel. And the absurdity of some of it... reminds me of that omnipresent Pink Floyd tour-de-force of absurdity, The Wall.

I think to call them "merely" experimental would be a vast understatement. If not prog, they're obscenely experimental, and quite frankly, I don't know WHAT to call them.
 Post Reply Post Reply