Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Mostly Autumn song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What's the best Mostly Autumn song?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
1 [3.33%]
5 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 16:24
I do like Mostly Autumn. I went through a phase back in August of playing their albums constantly (though I have to confess that I don't possess their first offering).

Not so keen on 'Storms Over Still Water', but their three before that are wonderful albums.
Very difficult to pick a favourite song, they have a few outstanding ones.
However, I have finally settled on Distant Train.

Although it is an instrumental, I think it is very beautiful, though I doubt it will get any more votes!

I hope their next record returns to their early period. Although my favourite album of theirs is the sometimes maligned 'Passengers'. I think it is incredibly strong throughout, with exceptionally strong vocal performances from both Heather Findlay and Bryan Josh.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 19:29
I went with "as long as Heather Findlay sings it, I like it." Quite frankly I think Bryan's voice is way overused. A female/male vocal contrast is always nice, but Heather's voice is thousands of times better than Bryan's/ I realyl don't think much of his voice. I bought The Last Bright Light based on the raves and I liked "The Gap Is Too Wide," which i heard here. There is not enough of Heather on it, and really, I only love her songs [and the instrumentals].
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 20:13

I don't get it, why is it not Completely Autumn?

sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 21:23
out of those choices, probably heroes never die. i would say my real favorite is the gap is too wide.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 05:01
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

Never heard of them, sorry to say!

Don't be!!!!!Wink You have not missed a thing.Tongue

This groups is more busy trying to get their names associated with the big ones (seethose series of Inside Of) than actually lmaking good music. Their albums are boring at best and soporific at worst.Tongue

While they are not excruciatingly bad, they are nothing worth writing home about. And seeing them in concert changed nothing for me. They try to instill a "hey nonney nonney" at times which feels so uncalled for. Of course the least demanding progheads will melt for that, but I suspect that they are drooling and wetting themselves over the two (relatively cute) women in the group.

God, why are Belgians so lacking in taste! >> coming from the brutish people who mix mint and chocolate or meat and mint, yuuuuckkkkk!!!!!....... Tongue

Ignore my fellow prog folk expert and team leader and listen for yourself. Let your own ears be the judge! >> shouldn't be too hard ro realize just how bland this band is if you follow my dear collab Tony's comments , just can't figure it out why he does not apply those wise words to himself Big smile

(And Heather Findlay is emphatically NOT "relatively cute". Zip burstingly gorgeous, actually. Not that that influences my view of the band, though, as one has to be objective). >> to each his own, I find her just cute and will gladly let her fans fantasize about her, without disputing herWink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 06:10
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

I don't get it, why is it not Completely Autumn?

Because they also have a song called Winter Mountain.Wink
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 06:16

Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

Never heard of them, sorry to say!

Don't be!!!!!Wink You have not missed a thing.Tongue

This groups is more busy trying to get their names associated with the big ones (seethose series of Inside Of) than actually lmaking good music. Their albums are boring at best and soporific at worst.Tongue

While they are not excruciatingly bad, they are nothing worth writing home about. And seeing them in concert changed nothing for me. They try to instill a "hey nonney nonney" at times which feels so uncalled for. Of course the least demanding progheads will melt for that, but I suspect that they are drooling and wetting themselves over the two (relatively cute) women in the group.

God, why are Belgians so lacking in taste! >> coming from the brutish people who mix mint and chocolate or meat and mint, yuuuuckkkkk!!!!!....... Tongue

Ignore my fellow prog folk expert and team leader and listen for yourself. Let your own ears be the judge! >> shouldn't be too hard ro realize just how bland this band is if you follow my dear collab Tony's comments , just can't figure it out why he does not apply those wise words to himself Big smile

(And Heather Findlay is emphatically NOT "relatively cute". Zip burstingly gorgeous, actually. Not that that influences my view of the band, though, as one has to be objective). >> to each his own, I find her just cute and will gladly let her fans fantasize about her, without disputing herWink

Hah, someone quoting Jaques Brel calling Mostly Autumn bland? I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!
And have you actually ever met Heather? Then you'd know she's not just cute, but she's also the kindest person you'll ever meet. and besides, what have looks got to do with talent?
And furthermore, Mostly Autumn are not trying to be associated with the big bands, those DVD's were just stupid ideas from their record company at that moment. I know that Bryan wasn't fond of the Pink Floyd cover-show, and I believe that that was one important reason for them to decide to leave Classic Rock Productions and start up their own label. If you don't know what you're talking about, then say nothing at all.
agent D081 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 11:20
Never The Rainbow. Very explosive song.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 11:41
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Hah, someone quoting Jaques Brel calling Mostly Autumn bland? I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!
And have you actually ever met Heather? Then you'd know she's not just cute, but she's also the kindest person you'll ever meet. and besides, what have looks got to do with talent?

And furthermore, Mostly Autumn are not trying to be associated with the big bands, those DVD's were just stupid ideas from their record company at that moment. I know that Bryan wasn't fond of the Pink Floyd cover-show, and I believe that that was one important reason for them to decide to leave Classic Rock Productions and start up their own label. If you don't know what you're talking about, then say nothing at all.

Jacques Brel was anything but bland. His texts were always thoughtful and provocative and although Flemish at brth, he is loathed in those parts, mostly by fascist pigs and other conservateurs considering him to be a traitor. As as a Dutchman you probably watch sometimes Flemish TV, so you'd know this as well as I do. Brel is one of the most copied artist ever and there is no coincidence about that. Obviously you must check in the dictionary what bland means. Mostly Autumn is much much much, much, much closer to bland than Brel . Sorry for your fanboy feelings, mate. Smile

Well when she came around Verviers' Spirit Of 66 (around 5 or 6 times) I was there twice for other bands that were on the bill. So when the groups come down after their show to sell their stuff, they talk to the public and I assisted to a few conversation. Yes, she is a nice person (I do not recall saying the opposite that you pretend me to), so are most likely the Spice Girls when they are trying to sell their records: it is part of the trade is it not? But since when is being nice the equivalent of talentful?

Attention, I did not say they were talentless either, just not comming to the waist level of so many other groups.

As for their classic rock connections, please avoid scoring in your own goal if you want to win a debate against me. Tongue  The plain fact is that they did them knowing full well what it would bring them. They'll have to live with that for quite a while, I guess. It is called assuming your own acts.

Mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!.........Sleepy 11 to 0 is the score!! Give up? Big smile

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:22
Man, get a life! That's a really pathetic way to end a post, give up? Well, I'm not going to fight with a fool who only can think about winning. (But then again, what should I expect from a Roger Waters-fan, he's just doing the same thing as his idol.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:42
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Man, get a life! That's a really pathetic way to end a post, give up? Well, I'm not going to fight with a fool who only can think about winning. (But then again, what should I expect from a Roger Waters-fan, he's just doing the same thing as his idol.)

You lose again, I have no idolTongue!!!!

And I do not appreciate Waters going bonkers and tyrannical as he did. I just think he is a much more prolific  good song writer, especially when it comes to lyrics, but in terms of music also. Although I think Gilmour is a better musician.

Shows you what kind of dumb shortcuts your fanboy reasonings lead you to!Wink

Uuuuuuhhmmmmmm!!!!!!!!..............
13 to 0LOL

Edited by Sean Trane - September 21 2006 at 12:42
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:48
Yeah sure, keep showing the score, shows how sad you are. Oh well, I'm just going to ignore you.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:50
Hug
And peace returnsWink

Read you tomorrowSmile

Edited by Sean Trane - September 21 2006 at 12:53
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
dabaynton View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 13:36
CAN WE HAVE MULTIPLE VOTES, PLEASE? TOO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM!
Shines On Brightly, Quite Insane.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12