Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zep Poll (hot)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Is Led Zep a prog folk band (take on account all albums) or what?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
12 [92.31%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 11:43
They are all at once:
Folk-Rock, Blues-Rock, Rock & Roll, Hard-Blues Rock, Hard Rock, Blues...
But Prog!!!??? That's the silliest thing i've heard Ermm

bryantm3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 09:04
i've said it before, and i'll say it again: if UW doesn't get in, LZ shouldn't get in. i do think that a lot of their stuff is pretty proggy, but so is UW's stuff. if they can be so discriminating to shut out UW, they should also shut out LZ. the only reason that this is getting so much support is that LZ is a really popular band. if no one had ever heard of them, and someone put up some samples, they'd probably be rejected cos no one would care. double standard!
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 13:00
Originally posted by bryantm3 bryantm3 wrote:

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: if UW doesn't get in, LZ shouldn't get in. i do think that a lot of their stuff is pretty proggy, but so is UW's stuff. if they can be so discriminating to shut out UW, they should also shut out LZ. the only reason that this is getting so much support is that LZ is a really popular band. if no one had ever heard of them, and someone put up some samples, they'd probably be rejected cos no one would care. double standard!

WE have also said this many times. Every band is considered on its own merits. There is no 'if x then y' argument about it.

By the way, I'm not getting the initials. Who is UW? The University of Wisconsin?
bryantm3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 14:01
underworld.

my point is that led zeppelin has as much in common with prog as underworld does, it's just led zeppelin is getting added because they're more popular. however, underworld is on the opposite side of the prog spectrum, as led zeppelin is rock with prog, underworld tends to be more electronic with prog. but they're both about the same prog-ness i guess.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 02:59
Zeppelin has usually been considered as a Hard Rock band, even a precursor to Heavy Metal (they're cited as one of the first 3 Heavy Metal bands, along with Sabbath and Purple)
But there are also other sources which include them in the list of progressive rock musicians: http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-progressive-rock-musicians look at this quotation:

The definition of what constitutes a progressive rock band is often a subjective one. For instance, Asia could just as easily be regarded as an AOR band, The Nice as a jazz-rock band, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin as hard rock/heavy metal, Primus as funk-metal and Renaissance as folk-rock. Nevertheless, all of the bands listed here are supported by progressive rock fans to some extent.

To my understanding, Led Zep has a handful of really prog songs (spent the previous weekend listening to their 4 CD box set...) but Tuxon mentioned strong connections to other acclaimed prog-bands; especially Rush is notable.
It wouldn't kill me if LZ was included in either prog-related, or, in case established, Heavy prog... Not proto, because they are not in the same vein as the other proto-prog psychedelic acts...

btw, look at the list in the link I gave... Blind Faith is also there!!!
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
bryantm3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 18:18
is blind faith not on this website?

someone must be out of their fcking mind!
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 21:01
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

In my mind they pretty much defy classification. They were certainly progressive in some ways, and some of their tunes are excellent Art Rock, though over-all they're not Prog enough for this site.

However, if Cream gets in as Proto-Prog or Prog Related I want Led Zeppelin in as Prog Related.

...something all truly "progressive" bands should do by definition.

LZ is progressive but not "prog".

Edited by SolariS - October 30 2006 at 21:03
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 21:13
I heard Geddy Lee describe some of his progressive influences.  He named Yes and specifically mentioned the album Time and a Word.  He also went on to talk about the heavy influence of Led Zeppelin and even said that they (Led Zeppelin) were progressive in a way because they pushed the limits, etc.

One of my favorite bands of all time.  I could certainly support a prog-related or some other category that includes them here.  They were a huge influence on some of the greatest bands on this site.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 04:05
Originally posted by bryantm3 bryantm3 wrote:

is blind faith not on this website?

someone must be out of their fcking mind!

Blind Faith, along with many similar jam bands, is not yet in this site. I'd be happy to see them anyway, but it wouldn't kill me if not, because strong objections might be raised against them... (like, they were a blues band in the first place!)
If a section such as "progressive blues" migfht be opened, they would be the foremost candidate, though! Especially after the 2 CD special edition; the second CD consists of mind-f..ing improvisations!

and I will keep on using the proposition to add them in the archives as my running gag!
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 04:07
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

I heard Geddy Lee describe some of his progressive influences. 
Actually one doesn't need to hear Geddy Lee or any other Rush member to talk about LZ influences; in their first two albums it's so obvious!
And it even continues throughout the rest of their discography, as tuxon rightfully stated in the previous page....

Edited by Bilek - October 31 2006 at 04:10
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 04:09
I wonder if we'll be seeing categoies such as

prog-disco
prog-rap
prog-big band sound

appearing soon....

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 11:43
what is it with "prog" and progressive.... is "prog" really a noun on it's own?
Jesus Gabriel
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 12:18
Ah, heck. Let's just add them so I can get a couple hundred reviews of Led Zeppelin 4 that will give me insights into songs I have heard 9,000 times.Wacko
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 12:40
^ Exactly. LOL
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Ah, heck. Let's just add them so I can get a couple hundred reviews of Led Zeppelin 4 that will give me insights into songs I have heard 9,000 times.Wacko

Well they have been approved so probably it won't be long before you get that! LOL (or perhaps Dead)
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 15:58
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Well they have been approved so probably it won't be long before you get that! LOL (or perhaps Dead)

Please tell me this is a cruel and inhumane joke.  Please?

I love LZ, but would be against them being on PA.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12