Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJon Lord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 10:56
Let me know Bilek.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 19:45

Bilek wrote:

Quote I'm not very hopeful, because I don't think Symph team would be willing to add dubious items to their already overblown list! Not to mention Ivan's negative attitude towards all bluesy/classic rock based artists/bands!!! (I wonder whether he approved Doors' addition...)

I will thank you not to make assumptions that are false Bilek, I have nothing against Blues based rock, as a fact I was one of the first, (if not the first) to ask for the inclusion of The Doors in Prog Archives because I believe they were a Psychedelic band (If I remember well your team opposed to that), by the contrary, I received some negative feedback in the case of The Doors as when I supported the inclusion of Iron Maiden.

If I don’t add Blues based bands to Symphonic Prog is because BLUES BASED ROCK IS NOT SYMPHONIC PROG, something that is obvious.

I didn’t accuse your team of having a negative attitude against Santana because you didn’t accepted their inclusion in Psychedelic despite ecerybody knows they were part of the San Francisco Psyche movement, simply understood (but disagreed) that you don’t believe Santana was a Psyche band.

As a fact I don’t believe Jon Lord is essentially a Blues oriented artist either, I believe his albums are closer to Neo Classical, so your comment is totally out of place.

Just to finish, Deep Purple, Jon Lord, The Who, Mountain, etc are among my favorite bands so please don’t say I have a negarive attitude against any kind of Rock because it’s false, you should  inform yourself better before making this kind ofstatements.

As a team we take care of what is added to Symphonic, but not adding a band because they don’t belong in Symphonic, doesn’t mean we have a negative attitude against anybody, they may belong in other sub-genre or simply be excelent bands that simply are not Prog.

Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

I mean; which subgenre would you assign to them (seeing that no such subgenre as "prog-related rock" exists in the real world!!!) if you deny their progressiveness??? Blues? Jazz? Fusion (in which case another progressive subgenre would be justified for Lord anyway!)? Reggae? Classic Rock? Hard Rock????

We can wonder for years, but the fact is that PROG RELATED exists.

But lets imagine what could had happened.

Before PR was added to Prog Archives, the bands that were not 100% Prog were placed in Art Rock as most Prog places do still, so that would had been the solution.

We had to clean Symphonic and move 156 bands because many people thought like you, “If they don’t fit anywhere, lets send them to Symphonic” so at the end we had 519 bands from which almost 33% were Neo Prog, Folk, Art Rock, Prog Related and even Prog Metal and Avant Garde, without mentioning 4 or 5 New Age bands that were moved to Prog Related.

I don’t believe Blues bands are Symphonic, so I won’t add them to the genre, as I wouldn’t add Los Jaivas or Henry Cow but doesn’t mean I have a negative attitude against them, just that they belong in Prog Folk and RIO in each case.

Iván

PD: Being 20:21 received Bob's (ClemofNazareth) vote, he goes for Art Rock.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 28 2007 at 21:21

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 05:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I will thank you not to make assumptions that are false Bilek, I have nothing against Blues based rock, as a fact I was one of the first, (if not the first) to ask for the inclusion of The Doors in Prog Archives because I believe they were a Psychedelic band (If I remember well your team opposed to that), by the contrary, I received some negative feedback in the case of The Doors as when I supported the inclusion of Iron Maiden.

Sorry for being misunderstood; when I talked about (-) attitude towards blues based bands, I meant "concerning their inclusion in progarchigves", and obviously I was wrong about Doors etc.! (what I had in mind was The Who in the first place!)

If I don’t add Blues based bands to Symphonic Prog is because BLUES BASED ROCK IS NOT SYMPHONIC PROG, something that is obvious.

A band, which had its root it blues might as well be symphonic: please consider the first albums of this "Holy Trinity": Yes, Genesis, King Crimson! Yes' debut is not even prog in its own right; it's psychedelia flavoured R&B! Neither "From Genesis to Revelation" album is conidered full blown prog by many; as for the genuine prog album ItCotCK, it has at least 3 ballads, which are all bluesy! It is the innovative use of mellotrone and some other instruments which made the album groundbreaking!

I didn’t accuse your team of having a negative attitude against Santana because you didn’t accepted their inclusion in Psychedelic despite ecerybody knows they were part of the San Francisco Psyche movement, simply understood (but disagreed) that you don’t believe Santana was a Psyche band.

I really don't want to start that lousy argument again, but I need to mention a couple of things:
- I totally agree that Santana was (i.e. used to be!) a psychedelic band, which turned out to be a fusion act afterwards, and released the majority of their output in this vein! Santana's self-titled first three albums are really West-Coast psychedelia, with a heavy dose of Latin folk elements, yet, their "progressiveness" is dubious.
However, right after Santana (a.k.a Santana 3) starting with Caravansarai, Santana's direction turned greatly towards fusion; to the extent that the legendary jazz guitarist McLaughlin guested in a number of their tracks -not to mention the very album made in collaboration with McLaughlin himself and a good number of members from Mahavishnu Orchestra!- and sorry to say, there are almost no traces of psychedelia in this album and the ones that followed (apart from live albums, which included tracks from first 3, of course!), so you'll have to live with the fact that Santana belongs to Jazz-Rock category! 
- I really don't remember Santana's addition ever becoming an issue in our team, I believe it was already added by Sean (rightfully) to Jazz-Rock, and he darn well explained the reasons in the related threads! If ever Santana's addition into Jazz-Rock subgenre had been denied, we would have considered their inclusion in our team's scope, and probably voted yes! (just for the sake of first 3 albums...)
- I don't really know what Eetu and chamberry thinks on the issue, but I, for my part, would never have a negative attitude towards Santana, in fact, I would have been among the first ones to defend their inclusion into PA, had any serious objections ever been raised!!! 

As a fact I don’t believe Jon Lord is essentially a Blues oriented artist either, I believe his albums are closer to Neo Classical, so your comment is totally out of place.

OK, now you got a point here... I seem to be getting the answer to my ultimate question! The problem then would be whether "Neo-Classical" could be considerd as a subgenre or type of "prog-rock" or not! (and whether Neo Classical is recognised as a subgenre, such as prog-rock, art-rock, fusion, canterbury, karutrock, electronica etc. by authorities in the field, such as AMG...)
In any case, I'm giving Caesar to what is Caesar's, and admit your right here...
(P.S. I never said Lord was a Blues oriented artist anyway! what I meant was that his works, just like the ones he did earlier with Deep Purple, relied -at least partly- on blues, like the majority of the works in the Rock scene in general... Yet, the obvious "Classical" connection bring his compositions elsewhere, and that place is probably "Neo-Classical" as mentioned above)

Just to finish, Deep Purple, Jon Lord, The Who, Mountain, etc are among my favorite bands so please don’t say I have a negarive attitude against any kind of Rock because it’s false, you should  inform yourself better before making this kind ofstatements.

You don't have a negative attitude towards listening to their music, my friend, I supposed you had a (-) attitude towards adding them into PA, notably in the alraedy overblown Symphonic subgenre, and sorry if my assumption is false!

As a team we take care of what is added to Symphonic, but not adding a band because they don’t belong in Symphonic, doesn’t mean we have a negative attitude against anybody, they may belong in other sub-genre or simply be excelent bands that simply are not Prog.

Admitted above... The problem now is, to which one of these classifications Jon Lord actually belongs to Big%20smile!... (Art-Rock seems to be ready to accomodate every single out-of-place style/subgenre, so be it, as mentioned below!)

I mean; which subgenre would you assign to them (seeing that no such subgenre as "prog-related rock" exists in the real world!!!) if you deny their progressiveness??? Blues? Jazz? Fusion (in which case another progressive subgenre would be justified for Lord anyway!)? Reggae? Classic Rock? Hard Rock????

We can wonder for years, but the fact is that PROG RELATED exists.

But lets imagine what could had happened.

Before PR was added to Prog Archives, the bands that were not 100% Prog were placed in Art Rock as most Prog places do still, so that would had been the solution.

We had to clean Symphonic and move 156 bands because many people thought like you, “If they don’t fit anywhere, lets send them to Symphonic” so at the end we had 519 bands from which almost 33% were Neo Prog, Folk, Art Rock, Prog Related and even Prog Metal and Avant Garde, without mentioning 4 or 5 New Age bands that were moved to Prog Related.

I don’t believe Blues bands are Symphonic, so I won’t add them to the genre, as I wouldn’t add Los Jaivas or Henry Cow but doesn’t mean I have a negative attitude against them, just that they belong in Prog Folk and RIO in each case.

Iván

I admit your problems you encountered in cleaning up the genre, that's one thing I already mentioned in this thread the day I called your name Wink... That's why I am not very keen on getting Lord added in the symphonic Tongue...
Blues bands are not symphonic, indeed! Neither are they Prog, they are "Blues"!!! But if you're talking about bands which have their roots, at least partly, in Blues, you have to consider other characteristics which define their music, just consider the "three big ones" I mentioned above! 

As for "Prog-Related" subgenre, it only seems to be an innovation of progarchives, added rightfully to accomodate bands which have obvious progressive rock characteristics (at least in a handful of albums or tracks...). No such subgenre exists in the real world! E.g., look at Iron Maiden and Asia, for heaven's sake! No serious music guide lists them as "prog related"; in fact, Maiden is the key band in the development of New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and Asia is widely recognized as AOR, if not labeled as Prog/Art-Rock just for the sake of the previous works of its individual members (in which case I don't agree anyway). I didn't make an extensive research, but I believe almost all bands in PA's prog-related bands list might fit in another subgenre of rock (other than prog, notably Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, AOR, Folk etc.), possibly a handful being already labeled by AMG as "Prog/Art-Rock" or "Fusion" because of some obvious connections...
Don't misunderstand me, I totally agree with the existence of this subgenre in PA... What I'm saying is, this is just a way of promoting bands which are not prog themselves, but somehow released at least one prog album in their life, or have some characteristics in their music that an average proghead might (and most probably, will) like...

PD: Being 20:21 received Bob's (ClemofNazareth) vote, he goes for Art Rock.

If I got it right, that is, Lord is seriously being considerd for Art-Rock, that will settle all the gobbledygook going on above Tongue. Sorry for the inconvenience! Wink

And that's great news, btw!

P.S.: all my initail concern was that Symphonic Team's territory was too crowded for hosting Lord, so Art-Rock team should've dealt with it! And your P.D. (P.S?) seems to confirm it, so no problem at all!!!
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 11:21
I'm checking out now. So far I can say that I wouldn't put him in related. Will have my full opinion later.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 01:12
Ok Bilek, I understand your point, just a few comments:

A band, which had its root it blues might as well be symphonic: please consider the first albums of this "Holy Trinity": Yes, Genesis, King Crimson! Yes' debut is not even prog in its own right; it's psychedelia flavoured R&B! Neither "From Genesis to Revelation" album is conidered full blown prog by many; as for the genuine prog album ItCotCK, it has at least 3 ballads, which are all bluesy! It is the innovative use of mellotrone and some other instruments which made the album groundbreaking!

There's a difference between having Blues elements (99% of Rock has it) and being a Blues Oriented band,

Genesis debut was mostly POP in the style oof early Bee Gees, that's what Jonathan King liked to promote, if this album had been more popular, probably The Silent Sun would had been included in Melody.

ITCOTCK has ballads but I faill to see an obvious Blues sound, has a bit as any Prog or Rock band but it's not Blues Oriented

Yes is a different thing, Yes had strong Blues elements almost during all their carrer, listen Your's is no Disgrace, but still is mainly a Symphonic structured band rather than a Blues Oriented one.

If a determined band has Blues elemnts but their structure is mainly Symphonic, i don't have a problem with it, but if a band is mainly Blues, it's hardly Prog.

Admitted above... The problem now is, to which one of these classifications Jon Lord actually belongs to Big%20smile!... (Art-Rock seems to be ready to accomodate every single out-of-place style/subgenre, so be it, as mentioned below!)

As a fact and after listening repeatedly al the Jon Lord material I have, changed my opinion, he presents Neo Classical elements as the strongest, some Symphonic Prog, others Jazzy and a bit of Blues Rock, so their place is Art Rock rather than Prog Related.

You were right about that. 

I admit your problems you encountered in cleaning up the genre, that's one thing I already mentioned in this thread the day I called your name Wink... That's why I am not very keen on getting Lord added in the symphonic Tongue..

We surely agree on this.
Blues bands are not symphonic, indeed! Neither are they Prog, they are "Blues"!!! But if you're talking about bands which have their roots, at least partly, in Blues, you have to consider other characteristics which define their music, just consider the "three big ones" I mentioned above! 

The three you mention (Genesis is more POP), have some obvious BUT NOT PREEMINENT Blues elements in their debut albums, but the main structure during their PROG career is essentialy Symphonic in the case of Yes and Genesis and almost everything in the case of KC.

So, I hope Art Rock team admits Jon Lord.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 30 2007 at 01:22

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 03:37
^^ All I can say is to agree with your hope!
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 03:44
micky seems enthusiastic about Lord, guys, so I don't see it being a big problem. From all the good things I've been hearing, I want to pick up Gemini Suite or Sarabande myself..

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 03:48
Okay, not only is Johnny boy "pretty f**kin' metal," but he also worked in a band with Ritchie Blackmore who worked in a band with Ian Anderson.

Metal...related to Ian...we shouldn't add him to the archives; we should build him a SHRINE!!!
Don't make me bring up Dio now...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 06:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

micky seems enthusiastic about Lord, guys, so I don't see it being a big problem. From all the good things I've been hearing, I want to pick up Gemini Suite or Sarabande myself..

I can send you (along with the rest of the Art-Rock team...) samples of both albums if you need, but if you want to buy an original CD, I'd suggest you to start with Sarabande first...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 07:38
I guess I am the lone team member that thinks this could possibly fit in Symphonic, but Art will work too. However, we all now agree that it belongs in a proper prog genre.

I am curious. Why hasn't Jon Lord been here all along?
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 09:20
^^ ClapClapClapClap
possible answer: overlooked!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 14:26
Just a couple of comments to what Bilek wrote a few posts ago:

- The AR Team is NOT particularly "ready to accomodate every single out-of-place style/subgenre" - the truth is, we have had no choice so far. We have been trying in vain to implement a name change that would make it clearer to site users what the category (NOT subgenre) is about, but not being the owners there is very little we can do in the face of opposition from other Collabs. As a matter of fact, we'd very much like to see our category become something other than the site's dumping ground, or at least to give it some semblance of order;

- Prog-Related as a category exists on other sites than PA: namely, on ProgGnosis, who have one of the biggest databases on the web, and are much more catholic than us in admitting artists to it (they have Stevie Winwood in PR - great artist, though his solo output is neither prog nor prog-related).

As to Jon Lord's prog credentials, check this entry from the aforementioned ProgGnosis:

http://www.proggnosis.com/MUSIC_DBArtist.asp?txtArtistID=1412

Same applies to another artist that was added to Art Rock because of lack of feedback from the Symphonic Team:

http://www.proggnosis.com/MUSIC_DBArtist.asp?txtArtistID=825

I also think that having a look at that would help:

http://www.classyclassical.com/2006/07/19/jon-lord/

These are just examples of Jon Lord's credentials as a fully prog artist and of his extremely strong ties with classical music - one of the main components of Symphonic Prog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 16:07
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

As to Jon Lord's prog credentials, check this entry from the aforementioned ProgGnosis:

http://www.proggnosis.com/MUSIC_DBArtist.asp?txtArtistID=1412

Same applies to another artist that was added to Art Rock because of lack of feedback from the Symphonic Team:

http://www.proggnosis.com/MUSIC_DBArtist.asp?txtArtistID=825

I also think that having a look at that would help:

http://www.classyclassical.com/2006/07/19/jon-lord/

These are just examples of Jon Lord's credentials as a fully prog artist and of his extremely strong ties with classical music - one of the main components of Symphonic Prog.

Well Raf,  GEPR doesn't mention him neither Progressive Ears.com, so his Progcredentials are doubious at least. We must not identify orchestra with Symphonic, I have voted for Art Rock but I see him in Prog Related as well because Neo Classical with some Prog elements is not necesarilly Symphonic.

I believe that in the case of Jon Lord, there are many other components, from mainstream to Rock and Jazz plus the obvious Neo Classical.

And BTW: It's not lack of feedback I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED ABOUT KEITH EMERSON'S INCLUSION, AND IT'S EASY TO FIND MY PM.

If I had been notified, I would have asked a member of the team r checked personally his music to decide.

When we receive a notification about a new artist or want to  change one, but don't believe he/she/they belong in Symph, we notify by PERSONAL MESSAGE the team leader of the genre we believe they belong, we don't wait for him/her to check the posts because we understand they have other duties,

If that team says no, we keep them and don't  even say anything in the forum, we have bands rejected by Neo Prog, Fusion and even Art Rock that we have here because nobody else wants them, that's part of the game we can't do anything else. 

We can't manage to analyze each and every band added to the master list, we did it once  (At Tony's request) and if you remember (You were part of Symph Team then), we added 24 bands in one week and only 3 were Symphonic.

Being that seems you're unhappy with Keith in Art Rock, I will PM Fragile to check him and make a report.

If we checked all the addition threads, we couldn't had managed the cleaning, the 150 biographies, the 200 photos found God knows how, and to start our actual project because we would be searching for each and every band proposed..

Since we had to start all over again and make biographies of bands we had never listened before. When we asked for collaboration of the members, nobody had listened them before, because most were  very obscure band that some guy added when the doors where opened for everybody, that had released a cassette in 1979 or a self edited album with 200 copies sold in the pubs they played in,  and even bands without a single album released we double and triple check

Now we are setremely careful with what bands we admit because we don't want this to hapen again, a good example was Er. J. Orchestra, it was sold to us as 100% Symphonic, we checked it. asked for feedback in the forum (Nobody knew what to do with them because they had a bit of everything but not coplex enough for Art Rock despite we had two full albums to download(

At the end Er J Orchestra was sent to Prog Related. If we had opened the doors they would be in Symphonic and honestly, I have my doubts about if they are even Prog Related now. 

We have added almost every biography but still we have 5 or 6 without any information availlable, er have searched hours, days and weeks, Micky is witness, he must be still searching for some information about a band named Wally.

We are willing to help, but we have a lot of work to do, if we receive complete info, samples a short bio as reference (we write our own bios normally) and a web site to chevck (In our alphabet better Wink) , we can do the rest of the research, but we can't deal with every band in every list because we have a lot to avance and things to do outside Prog Archives.

PLEASE PM US

Iván

BTW: Checked http://www.classyclassical.com/2006/07/19/jon-lord/ you proposed (Had already checked it when Micky sent me the PM), and didn't helped a bit, foir them Jon Lord is CLASSICAl and nothing else.

Jon Lord - Pictured Within

Posted in Contemporary Instrumental, Reviews, Classical Music, John Lord on July 19th, 2006

The CD in question is Pictured Within and was recorded and released back in 1998, and on first hearing might be considered to be a rock album for no other reason than Jon Lord was, is, the keyboard player with Deep Purple. But on second and third hearing, and in my case 40th hearing, the very personal music of Jon Lord can only sit within the classical category for the very simple reason that it uses all the musical ammunition available to the classical composer thereby creating a depth of emotional feeling that today is only found, for instance, in the work of such contemporary composers as John Tavener ( most obviously in The Protecting Veil), and John Adams, whose haunting piece, Harmonium, is probably, for such musicians as Jon Lord, a hugely influential source of creative possibilities.

This means Prog Related at the most, but I d0on't fully agree with the author, I believe he has some Rock and Jazz elements.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 31 2007 at 02:16

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 18:25
Just to add, just checked the opínions of Jon's fan site and also describe Sarabande as a Classical/Rock/Jazz Fusion.......again, no mention of Prog:

Sarabande
A review by Göran Nilsson

We highly recommend the remastered version of Sarabande, available from Purple Records.

(...)

The album is based on the theme of a baroque dance suite and it contains eight ‘dances’ in different tempos. I am not the right person to judge how much this form has influenced the music, but I think that I can hear influences from other sources that are at least as strong as those from Bach & co. I would describe the music as a wonderfully integrated mix of romanticism, jazz and rock, all flavoured with what we today might call world music. One possible influence that the dance concept might have had is that the album is more focused on rhythm than Jon’s work usually is. Some of the tracks are built around rhythmic figures and there is a lot of percussion involved in the music. Just like Windows this is a collaboration with German conductor Eberhard Schoener and the featured orchestra is the Philharmonia Hungarica.

The record starts off with a very powerful intro reminiscent of the romantic period that dominated the charts a hundred years ago. For some reason it reminds me of the sunset in Richard Strauss’ ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’, a theme that Jon keeps coming back to. After the intro the music stops for a second before this dance, Fantasia, continues with the most subtle and beautiful woodwinds. Eventually the music becomes more powerful again and there is a string riff that reminds me of ‘Big Country’ (the cowboy tune – not the highland band). The first dance of the album is also one of the best, even if I might choose something slightly more funky to dance to!

If we believe his music is Prog (I believe it's more than related after listening again most of his albums), a Classical, Rock, Jazz, World Music combination is not Symphonic.

If you believe as I that his work is Prog, the right place is Art Rock, if you don't believe it's 100% Prog, then his place is Prog Related..

BTW: Manticornio, one of the most reliable prog sites in Spanish says about Jon:

Quote A ver si no la riego: Jon LORD es el líder de DEEP PURPLE, un grupo de rock duro, pero como solista su tendencia es hacia la música clásica y la combina con el rock…

Translation: Let me see if I don't ruin it; Jon Lord is the leader of Deep Purple, a Hard Rock group , but as a soloisr his tendency is towards CLASSICAL music blended with Rock. 

Later he mentions Prog fans may like his music but never mentions he plays Prog music.

None of this reliable Prog sites mentions Jon Lord:
  1. La Caja de Musica, another reliable Prog site in Spanish .
  2. Progressicve Ears
  3. GEPR 
  4. DPRP  (Dutch Progressive Rock Page)
  5. Progressor
  6. Ground & Sky
  7. Gnosis should better not mention him, because out of 84 possible ratings, only an average of 7 per album give Jon Lord a rating superior to 0.in a 15 system.

Most reliable sites don't even mention him, so again his Prog credentials are weak.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 30 2007 at 23:05

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 23:45
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Just a couple of comments to what Bilek wrote a few posts ago:- The AR Team is NOT particularly "<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">ready to accomodate every single out-of-place style/subgenre" - the truth is, we have had no choice so far. We have been trying in vain to implement a name change that would make it clearer to site users what the category (NOT subgenre) is about, but not being the owners there is very little we can do in the face of opposition from other Collabs. As a matter of fact, we'd very much like to see our category become something other than the site's dumping ground, or at least to give it some semblance of order;- Prog-Related as a category exists on other sites than PA: namely, on ProgGnosis, who have one of the biggest databases on the web, and are much more catholic than us in admitting artists to it (they have Stevie Winwood in PR - great artist, though his solo output is neither prog nor prog-related).As to Jon Lord's prog credentials, check this entry from the aforementioned ProgGnosis:http://www.proggnosis.com/MUSIC_DBArtist.asp?txtArtistID=1412Same applies to another artist that was added to Art Rock because of lack of feedback from the Symphonic Team:http://www.proggnosis.com/MUSIC_DBArtist.asp?txtArtistID=825I also think that having a look at that would help:http://www.classyclassical.com/2006/07/19/jon-lord/These are just examples of Jon Lord's credentials as a fully prog artist and of his extremely strong ties with classical music - one of the main components of Symphonic Prog.

I don't recall any lack of feedback.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 04:46
getting on the topic at hand which is Jon Lord... by the way, kudos for HT for seeing the obvious here.

hmmm...  since there is no objection to the obvious symphonic prog of the Gemini Suite and Windows.. let me address the album which seems to be the problem here... and recommend you listen before you judge.. which is something a team..especially a team leader should do.

Founder member of Deep Purple, keyboard player Jon Lord needs little introduction to rock audiences. Yet classical music had been a huge part of his musical education, and echoes of his love for the genre imbued the early Deep Purple albums. His interest was then channeled into a series of classical/rock experiments which lasted throughout the seventies. They began with the famous Concerto For Group Orchestra (released in 1970), followed by the studio project Gemini Suite in 1971. A third attempt to further the cause was the experimental Windows album in 1974, and the series culminated in 1976 with the subject of this reissue, the superb Sarabande, issued just as the band Deep Purple were on the verge of splitting. Purple Records was the original home of most of these albums, and Sarabande is the first of their collectors editions, digitally enhanced and in its original sleeve.

For this album, Jon Lord based his material on a set of dance suites, interpreted with a string orchestra and modern rock instrumentation. His own keyboard playing was stunning, ranging from gentle piano work to heavy Hammond organ riffs. The guitar was played by Andy Summers, just prior to his joining The Police, and is some of the best material he ever laid down. Needless to say the original album got lost in the storm of Deep Purple's 1976 UK tour and the split, and was quickly deleted. Now a collectable piece of vinyl, the recording has never been issued on CD in the UK before, and is here carefully remastered from the original quarter inch masters discovered at Abbey Road. Jon Lord's classical forays have never been fashionable, but they have been influential and today they are widely studied at colleges and universities around Europe. For this reissue we have comprehensive notes which tackle the music from a scholarly perspective, backed by contemporary reviews, pictures and memorabilia, as well as a discography.

instead of listing how doesn't have him when you know as well as I do that other sites do their additions differently than we do...I suggest you find me a source that has Lord listed as ANYTHING other than symphonic.  You have Kansas in symphonic for God's sake... and you don't think Lord is hahhahahha.  Think before you speak.... He is neither prog-related or Art Rock.... it is NOT a dumping ground

Edited by micky - March 31 2007 at 04:47
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 05:20
Sorry I spoke too soon on this. I'm going to keep my head down till I hear his stuff-- should have some later today. Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the CZ..?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 07:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Sorry I spoke too soon on this. I'm going to keep my head down till I hear his stuff-- should have some later today. Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the CZ..?

LOL probably wise ... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 07:50
If this thread were being propgated by anyone other than a bunch of collaborators, it would have already been closed for veering off course and becoming more a battle of wills and personalities, and less an objective discussion of the original topic.

I wasn't going to get involved but the symphonic team is being called into question, and my name has been mentioned twice, so if this gets moved I'll share my thoughts: otherwise, I'll see some of you in PM.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 10:19
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

If this thread were being propgated by anyone other than a bunch of collaborators, it would have already been closed for veering off course and becoming more a battle of wills and personalities, and less an objective discussion of the original topic.

I wasn't going to get involved but the symphonic team is being called into question, and my name has been mentioned twice, so if this gets moved I'll share my thoughts: otherwise, I'll see some of you in PM.

there is a thread in the collab section for this... I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially since Ivan said you thought he belongs in Art Rock. Which I guess I disagree with...quite passionately LOLWink.  I know you all don't get out much.. Art Rock is for Prog artists which multiple influences that can not be stuck into one particular sub-genre.  That leaves symphonic or Prog related.  Prog-related is out..since... his albums were simply  not prog related in the least but  full on symphonic prog. Thus he goes symphonic or doesn't get added. Hense the battle of wills if you will..... and why I have asked the admins to get involved before this gets nasty. This isn't a turf war.. but a question of the validity of the site, and the work we ALL do.

the thread should probably be closed and the discussion resumed in the collab section since the admins are taking this up. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>