Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJon Lord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Lord
    Posted: September 29 2006 at 10:06
Everybody knows Jon Lord as Deep Purple keyboardist. However, he has several solo works. I suggest Jon Lord's inclusion in PA due to these works. Why?

Mostly, because of his musical approach in them. Let's begin from The Concerto for Group and Orchestra, which everybody knows. Although released by the name of Deep Purple, this album is a fruit of Lord's work. Combining classical music and rock (in both musical approach and actual instrumental performance) -- that what Lord was interested with. His next effort was Gemini Suite, in the same mood as The Concerto. Gemini Suite was released by the name of Deep Purple (with Deep Purple line-up) and by the name of Jon Lord (with a slightly different line-up).

After that, he released Sarabande, a pinnacle of his solo works, probably, where the group (not Deep Purple) and an orchestra performed famous classical themes like Gigue, Sarabande, Bouree, Pavane etc., arranged by Lord. This album alone deserves for Lord a place in PA, in my opinion.

Then Windows was released, where Lord tried to combine rock, classical music and opera. Then I know of two additional albums, one of them, Before I Forget, deals with the same classical theme but contains also som uninteresting rock numbers; I know nothing about his last album.

I recommend his inclusion. What do you think about it? Post your thoughts and opinions.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 10:10
I have to agree that his early solo career could be prog-related (love Sarabande but find Windows atrocious), include his Ashton, Lord and Paice album , but the latest "thing" Hoochie Coochie band (or sumthin')?
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 11:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Sarabande
I have that album, and it is a progressive rock album in my opinion. But I don't know about the other releases of him, are they of  similar style?
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 11:28
The ones mentioned by Fassbinder (Windows and Gemini Suite) certainly are... Before I Forget, as also mentioned, is half prog- half pop/rock stuff (the proggy ones are great, and certainly ahead of the '80's sound). The album Fassbinder forgot the is Pictured Within (some tracks of this album are included in DP's Live at the Roayl Albert Hall), but Lord has released yet another album after that (apart from the Hoochie Koochie Men). I heard stuff from Pictured Within, they were non-exciting, somewhat symphonic pop numbers sang by female vocalists, not the rest...

As Sean Trane mentioned, Paice Ashton Lord album (there's also a live one made by a similar line-up) seems to be deserving a place. I didn't hear it, either, but it's highly appraised. of course, if we include Lord, all of his discography must be included, and I believe only because of Sarabande and Gemini Suite he deserves it...

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 05:49
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

The ones mentioned by Fassbinder (Windows and Gemini Suite) certainly are... Before I Forget, as also mentioned, is half prog- half pop/rock stuff (the proggy ones are great, and certainly ahead of the '80's sound). The album Fassbinder forgot the is Pictured Within (some tracks of this album are included in DP's Live at the Roayl Albert Hall), but Lord has released yet another album after that (apart from the Hoochie Koochie Men). I heard stuff from Pictured Within, they were non-exciting, somewhat symphonic pop numbers sang by female vocalists, not the rest...

As Sean Trane mentioned, Paice Ashton Lord album (there's also a live one made by a similar line-up) seems to be deserving a place. I didn't hear it, either, but it's highly appraised. of course, if we include Lord, all of his discography must be included, and I believe only because of Sarabande and Gemini Suite he deserves it...

Actually I think that Ashton Gardner And Dyke (3 albums) deserve inclusion as well
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 05:38
Oh please; no interest in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you guys all deprived of quality music ??????????????
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
please state your opinions, for heaven's sake!
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 09:24
i think Jon Lord has a strong case, but should only be judged on his solo albums. from what i have heard there are many influences including classical of course, i  have a copy of his album "Before I Forget" so i will investigate more of his music and prepare a submission suggestion to the relevant team - will decide later which team!

Prog Archives Tour Van
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 03:33
^^ you have his least proggy album, the most proggy tracks of which are "Tender Babes" and "Bach onto This"!!!
You should listen to Gemini Suite and Sarabande. That will give tou a clearer opinion. Also, Windows is said to be the same quality (though I still haven't given a listen). And these four albums are the bulk of his "solo" discography; apart from collaboration works (Paice Ashton Lord, etc.), there are only a couple more...

Oh, If needed, I can provide samples from the earlier mentioned two albums!
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 04:50
Jon Lord has already been proposed and is currently under consideration!

Prog Archives Tour Van
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 14:29
*bump* thanks Fassbinder
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 03:35
So; after half a year, what is our current situation?!?!?

(I myself forgot about this thread, for heaven's sake! thanks to micky I remembered there was a "prog" artist named Jon Douglas Lord, who also played keyboards in Deep Purple, and made mind-blowing progressive music for some time Wink)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 03:39
the current situation is I PM'd Ivan this morning..  the symphonic team now has this in their court. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 03:42

Hey, never heard a John Lord solo album, but I have heard Deep Purple. He's a awesome dude. My vote is with Johnny boy.

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 04:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the current situation is I PM'd Ivan this morning..  the symphonic team now has this in their court. 

Confused I'm not very hopeful, because I don't think Symph team would be willing to add dubious items to their already overblown list! Not to mention Ivan's negative attitude towards all bluesy/classic rock based artists/bands!!! (I wonder whether he approved Doors' addition...)
Why didn't you handle the issue in Art-Rock? Lord's overall discography indicates he might be a better fit there! (though Gemini Suite and Sarabande are definitely Symphonic Prog, and most probably Windows too.)

Whistler: you must base your arguments on the "genuine" works of a solo artist under consideration, not of his work with his previous bands/collaborations... Otherwise we would have to add Kitaro for the sake of his work in Far East Family BandDead... Of course, this is merely a comparison, Lord's solo stuff is nothing like Kitaro's, (in fact, has more prog elements than that of any Deep Purple record!) but this must be the logic...
And in this connection, I highly recommend you to go for Lord's solo stuff, especially in the '70'S Wink. The albums mentioned above (and elswhere in this thread) are simply awesome!
Drachen Theaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 07:54
As Bilek says Sarabande (a five star prog album in my view), Gemini Suite and Windows would all sit fairly comfortably under the symphonic prog tag and are more ambitious and 'progressive' than the vast majority of Purple's output.

(The stuff he did with Tony Ashton obviously is not prog and should be discounted).
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 00:26
I received Micky's PM with a complain about not reading the forums, well, honestly we are very busy with Symphonic Team projects and personall issues, but that's why PRIVATE MESSAGES exist, we may take a bit sometimes because we are in other things, but we always answer.

Now to the point and talking personally, not in the name of the team, as Sean I don't see Jon Lord in Symphonic, maybe some form of Neo Classical with some Prog leanings, we already have sent two bands (Er J Orchestra and Rumblin Orchestra from Hungary to Prog Related) despite they were doing almost classical stuff and the second one much more closer than Lord to Symphonic.

Not every band or artist that uses a Symphony Orchestra is Symphonic (Just listen El Tri Sinfónico, the Malmsteen album or the superb last album of STYX with the Juvenile Orchestra of Cleveland that I added yesterday to the data base).

I'm listening Pictured Within, it's great, Classical (In a broad sense) but not Prog at all and agree with Sean also, Jon Lord with the Hoochie Coochie Men is an aberration.

In the other hand, Sarabande is a magnifiscent album and Jon's peak, but IMO it's nothing but Rock and Jazzy versions of Baroque styled compositions, of course inspired in Classical music but again not 100% Prog even when he deserves to be in the archives

Windows is another excelent album, but again is mostly Rock with Classical inspiration IMHO, Prog?...I believe very close to.

Haven't heard Gemini Suite since 20 years ago, but not even if this album was 100% Symphonic, ( Despite I don't remember it as Symphonic either but my memory is not the same as it was) would justify his inclusion in this sub-genre because of the rest of his works.

Prog Related is my call but not Symphonic...anyway I have to speak with the team and our next meeting is this Saturday, despite this fact we are in coinstant communication, but my vote is for no in Symphonic.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 28 2007 at 00:59

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 02:54
^^ here you are, micky! What did I tell you Big%20smile?!

Ivan; let's leave aside the assumptions that Lord's better albums (i.e. Sarabande, Gemini Suite, Windows) are "symphonic prog" or not...
IMHO it is unfair to call them "prog-related"... Even if you don't agree that they are "symphonic prog" in the sense defined by your team and revealed in the PA discography, you have to admit that these 3 albums are "prog", in every sense of the word...
I mean; which subgenre would you assign to them (seeing that no such subgenre as "prog-related rock" exists in the real world!!!) if you deny their progressiveness??? Blues? Jazz? Fusion (in which case another progressive subgenre would be justified for Lord anyway!)? Reggae? Classic Rock? Hard Rock????

As I mentioned in my previous message, Symphonic Prog might be too overblown to accomodate Lord, but please; let's confirm these delightful albums' rights and get them in a full-blown prog genre! (most probably art-rock)

oh, btw: let's get Lord in the archives first; then we may decide which sub would suit his music better, eh Wink?
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 03:06
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

Whistler: you must base your arguments on the "genuine" works of a solo artist under consideration, not of his work with his previous bands/collaborations... Otherwise we would have to add Kitaro for the sake of his work in Far East Family BandDead... Of course, this is merely a comparison, Lord's solo stuff is nothing like Kitaro's, (in fact, has more prog elements than that of any Deep Purple record!) but this must be the logic...
And in this connection, I highly recommend you to go for Lord's solo stuff, especially in the '70'S Wink. The albums mentioned above (and elswhere in this thread) are simply awesome!

All I know is that John Lord is pretty f**kin' metal. If you were running for archive admission, he's vote for YOU. John Lord for ProgArchives.

(Psst! Johnny! Remember to vote for the Moody Blues, right? And, hey, say, maybe the Moody Noobs too?)

Edited by The Whistler - March 28 2007 at 03:09
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 03:51
If you'd like JL considered for Prog Related, jsut let me know and I'll take it to the Admin team.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 09:24
^^ I'm working my a** off for Lord to be included in a genuine prog subgenre, but what the heck Wink... If not Art-Rock, let it be related then...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>