Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes it REALLY Rate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does it REALLY Rate?
    Posted: March 08 2004 at 14:23

I have noticed that an awful lot of reviewers (both "official" and others) are giving five stars to an awful lot of albums.  According to the current rating system, five stars denotes "Exceptional/Masterpiece."

Is everyone really considering whether all of the albums to which they are giving five stars are actually "masterpieces?"  For example, Marillion's "Fugazi" just received a five-star review.  As good as that album may be, does it actually deserve the same rating as, say, "In The Court of the Crimson King," or "Dark Side of the Moon," or other absolutely quintessential prog-rock albums?  Or is the problem that the current rating system is inadequate for the task of proper reviewing?

The administrators of the site are looking for comments on the rating system (see Max's thread under Main Discussions).  In this regard, in addition to responding to this post, I urge everyone to respond to Max's post re the rating system and let's see if we can get something that more adequately allows for rating albums, so that albums we simply love alot - but are not necessarily "masterpieces," much less quintessential albums - are not put in the same category as the true (i.e., generally accepted) masterpieces of the prog-rock genre.

Peace.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 15:11
I've only reviewed one album so far -Kayak's 'Royal bed Bouncer'.I admit to letting my enthusiasm run away with me for this record and I gave it a 5 star rating.Maybe on reflection I should have gone 4 stars.I'm not sure.I tend to think that the number of stars given are less important than the comments themselves.Giving reviews based on marks is a bit 'lazy' perhaps?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 15:13
I just reviewed Jane III and believe me this is one of my favourite albums and I gave it a 3 star rating. It might rate a 5 with me personally but I think when people submit ratings a certain amount of objectivity is needed. Maybe we need a section called My Favourite Album for people to express themselves more freely when it comes to a work which they are really fond of but could not possibly fairly rate without some sujectivity. For example, I would definitely rate Guru Guru UFO five stars but it drives most people I know who have heard it up the freaking wall including my wife and dogs.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 16:08
It would be very useful if we were able to edit or delete our own reviews, don't you think? (taste develops)
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 16:37

VB: Driving others up a wall is not an acceptable criterion for determining the value of an album!    Most of the music I listen to (especially prog) drives both my roommates insane.  That won't cloud my judgment, though...LOL

Joren: You raise a good point.  I was actually thinking about that in two regards.  First, it's true that our own tastes may change, or there is something different we want to say.  Sure, we can do a second review, but it might be nice to "recall" our original review, edit it, and re-post it.  Second, if the rating system changes (and I hope it will), we may need to go back and "re-rate" albums.  Personally, I will be very happy to do this.

Thanks for all comments.  Please make sure to comment on Max's thread as well.

Peace.

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 16:51

I really the idea of REVIEWER being able to EDIT their TEXT and ratings...

We will work on this ...

Edited by MAX@
Prog On !
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 18:06
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

VB: Driving others up a wall is not an acceptable criterion for determining the value of an album!    Most of the music I listen to (especially prog) drives both my roommates insane.  That won't cloud my judgment, though...LOL

Joren: You raise a good point.  I was actually thinking about that in two regards.  First, it's true that our own tastes may change, or there is something different we want to say.  Sure, we can do a second review, but it might be nice to "recall" our original review, edit it, and re-post it.  Second, if the rating system changes (and I hope it will), we may need to go back and "re-rate" albums.  Personally, I will be very happy to do this.

Thanks for all comments.  Please make sure to comment on Max's thread as well.

Peace.

I hope something really comes out of all this. we really do have get people to try and come down to earth somewhat when writing the reviews or else everything is going to end up having have five or four stars. Just look at what has been posted today alone!

Edited by Vibrationbaby
semismart View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 20:02

I don't Know about you but I write a review because I like something  and want to share my experience. The only time I bother to write under 4 stars is if I feel something has been rated higher than it deserves and it needs a balanced opinion.

That being said, there is an inordinate amount of five star reviews coming through and it does look bad  . I say give the raters more options. Many sites go by a richter scale. I think that is too many option but it still may be better than five.

I've outlined a suggestion for seven on Max's thread, that might work.

Ciao

<i>Sports cars</i>, helping ugly men get sex since 1954.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 04:14
Originally posted by MAX@ MAX@ wrote:

I really the idea of REVIEWER being able to EDIT their TEXT and ratings...

We will work on this ...

Thanks!  I'm glad to hear that people agree with me on this point!

Edited by Joren
 Post Reply Post Reply