Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProggiest Studio Debut from Prog-Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which studio debut is the most Progacious?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [36.67%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
4 [13.33%]
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
2 [6.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proggiest Studio Debut from Prog-Related
    Posted: October 04 2006 at 23:08
Hey, that album kind of reminds me of Progressive Rock!

Some of these Prog Related bands started out on much less Proggy feet than others, of course.  Some become more Proggy over time, whilst others went the opposite way.

Which of these albums are the most Procalicious to you?  Yes, I'm allowing multiple votes this time -- use it wisely.  Of course I don't expect you to have heard all of these albums -- I haven't.  Just don't vote for an album you haven't even heard, please.

The Alan Parson's Project debut is my favourite of these, and very Proggy in a Pink Floydish sort of way (if it ain't Prog, it's seriously Prog Related).  The follow-up, I Robot, was hardly a let-down either.  Primus is a fun proggy group... Quite a few strong albums here from a Prog,(or Prog Related)  perspective, and quite a few weak ones.  I can't say which is the most Proggy since I haven't heard all of them, although I have a good idea of some albums that are less Proggy than others.

Sounds kind of funny to say, "Well I think THIS album is just slightly more related to Prog than THAT one, but they're both soooo totally related, y'know."

Okay, I thought about adding the albums of solo artists who'd worked for big name Prog bands (and are in Prog Related for their solo efforts) such as Peter Gabriel (PG I), Mike Rutherford (Smallcreep's Day) Jon Anderson (Olias of Sunhillow), Richard Wright (Wet Dream), David Gilmour (DG), Nick Mason (Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports), Steve Vai (Flex-Able), Geddy Lee (My favourite Headache), Peter Sinfield (Still) and John Wetton who was in many bands before releasing their so-called 'solo' albums, but opted not to. 

I also decided not to include bands with only one album, so Solstice Coil and the Blackfield collaborative album is not included, for instance.

Note that Primus has a live album that dates earlier, but I'm only including debut "studio albums" in the list.

If not Prog per se, I'm thinking of an album so kind of Proggish that upon listening to it you might exclaim:

"Man, that some hardcore Prog Related tuneage!  I mean, could it get any more Prog Related than that?  Freakin' awesome; it's just so totally related to Prog.  It's like, if I didn't know that that's not Prog, I might have thought for a second that that was Prog!  Totally related, totally. Blew me way just hearing that SUPREMELY Prog-Related tuneage."

Of course your head would explode right after.

So, I wanna hear your thoughts on this, which of these albums would you say has the most relation to Progressive Rock (be it cousin, uncle, wicked stepmother, or whatever).

Edited by Logan - October 04 2006 at 23:17
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 23:17
Haven`t listened to some of them, but as simple view i would pick Tales of Mystery and Imagination, i think it`s very prog and an excellent album!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 23:34
I haven't heard most of the groups/artists from the "subgenre", not to speak about the first studio album only. But from what I have heard, somehow it seems to me that Peter Sinfield album (I don't see much difference between Still and Stillusion) is the proggiest. But you've excluded solo efforts and single albums...
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 00:30
Thanks for adding
"Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination"

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 12:55
Fassbinder: Yes, Peter Sinfield would offer some real competition if I had included him -- rather regretted not including him, but I was thinking at the time that I might also come out with a poll specifically for Prog-Related 'solo' artists such as he.  I expect if people know his work that he'd lead the polls -- John Wetton might do well as well and....

Memowakeman and R o V e R: I certainly consider ToM&I to be a very proggy album  indeed.  Great stuff.  The Alan Parsons Project is, of course, considered a progressive rock group by many (especially by the kind of people who consider albums like Dark Side of the Moon to be Prog -- which he engineered as well as a band I listed before...), and I would have little compunction in rating that album 5 stars at this site (i.e. a Prog masterpiece).  It's no coincidence that I placed that album at the top.  I can't say it's more proggy than all of the other albums here, but it is my favourite, and, admittedly, my particular raison d'etre  for instigating this poll.  Incidentally, I had considered doing this as poll for the first two band albums due to my respect for I Robot.

I'd been a fan of the Alan Parsons Project for many years (especially the Asimovian titled I Robot which I spun an awful lot) when I saw Tales... at the library and excitedly took it out.  I was blown away by it -- it helped that I also had also been a fan of Edgar Allan Poe for many years.  'Twas a major oversight not to have listened to the album years earlier.

I must admit that I am happy to see it leading this poll (though I wish more people had voted for whatever).  Heck, at 3 votes [now 4!] (though one is mine hahaha) to one vote in other, and all the rest having a grand total of absolutely none, it's stomping the competition! LOL  I feel so vindicated as, to be honest, I rather would like to see The Project in a full-fledged Prog category -- even if they're better suited to AOR. Wink  Heck, Doctor Evil's son referred to them as a progressive rock group in Austin Powers (leading Prog authority Mike Myers being a fan -- hehe).

I expected Tales... to lead this poll, but I wasn't expecting such a wide margin. Shocked

EDIT: someone else voted as I composed this post bringing Tales to four votes.

Edited by Logan - October 05 2006 at 12:57
Open-Mind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 13:00
The Kick Inside for me
"I'm on a roll, I'm on a roll this time, I feel my luck could change.. "
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by Open-Mind Open-Mind wrote:

The Kick Inside for me

A lovely album, and one of the first CDs I bought (particularly for "The Man With the Child in his Eyes" -- used to imagine she was singing that to me Embarrassed). 

It's got a good proggy-pop feel to it.

Excuse the anecdote: A strange thing happened when I first played The Kick Inside (had never heard it before).  As I was listening to "Strange Phenomenon" I was reading a book called Riding the Iron Rooster (yeah multi-tasking hehe).  She was singing about strange coincidences... Suddenly as I got to a line well into the book that happened to mention the Buddhist mantra "Om mani padme hum," as words of power, she sung the same words at the EXACT same time.  Strange phenomenon indeed!  Struck me as rather eerie, anyway.

Edited by Logan - October 05 2006 at 13:40
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 10:11
Saga and Iron Maiden's debut albums were amazing debuts !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 10:12
Tales of Mystery and Imagination!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 10:19

Easily ELO's No Answer, because it is a full-blown prog album thazt comes close to Gryphon.

ELO is soon to go into Art Rock along with Supertramp (where's their debut album? it might have won this poll), because both are out of place in prog-related

FM's Black Noise is a good second and Iron Maiden's debut a good third tied with APP's Tales

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 12:42
^ You mean Supertramp's debut album?  By the time of this poll they already had been moved to Art Rock.  Great band. 

Been many, many years since I last listened to ELO's debut album.  Something to buy since my old record collection which I largely acquired from a brother is gone, sadly (was part of the collection).
kebjourman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 14:43
i deffinately like Mercury Rev's debut better than those, i dunno about proggiest though
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 10:51
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination is full blown prog.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 11:01
man... as much as I like to vote for the ELO album... a very very good album

can't go against the Alan Parsons Project album...   simply a great one..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 12:01
This would be my pick...

...but does Jon Anderson count Question 

...and should this album be somewhere other than Prog Related Question I think it is worthy of true prog status Big smile

Edited by T.Rox - October 17 2006 at 12:04
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 05:14
^ I wish the limited space for poll options had not caused me to exclude 'solo' efforts from the list, but I'm very happy to hear about it.  I'm here to discover and re-discover good proggy music.  Wow, you know I've never actually listened to more than bits and pieces of the album over the years.  Thanks for the link.  Listening to this site's streaming mp3 -- good stuff.  That I also like New Age is a good reason to pick it up, as well.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 16:15
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Saga and Iron Maiden's debut albums were amazing debuts !

Hardly Proggy though - either of them
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 03:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I wish the limited space for poll options had not caused me to exclude 'solo' efforts from the list, but I'm very happy to hear about it.  I'm here to discover and re-discover good proggy music.  Wow, you know I've never actually listened to more than bits and pieces of the album over the years.  Thanks for the link.  Listening to this site's streaming mp3 -- good stuff.  That I also like New Age is a good reason to pick it up, as well.

Check out Australian's very comprehensive review of Olias...

"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 13:45
Belated; catching up on stuff I neglected to follow up on before due to pressing family matters.  Thanks for the link.  Suffice to say, a very well-written and comprehensive review and I look forward to purchasing the album at some time.  I'm sure I've heard the album before (part of a friend's collection), but not for many years.  I used to be very big on Jon Anderson (saw him with Kitaro in concert years back -- that was excellent).
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 13:50
Tales of mystery...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>