Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHalcyon Days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halcyon Days
    Posted: October 06 2006 at 03:39
There was a time when progressive rock was golden, loved by those in the know and often topping the music charts. What was it about that short period between about 1970 and 1979 that generated so much interest? It wasn't for lack of pop music-- there was plenty. Had the 60s opened the door to a golden age of modern music?

Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 04:24
Rock in the seventies split in so many directions it couldn't help but be interesting. Country, blues, jazz, singer/songwriter, pop, not to mention hard rock, glam, punk and (gulp) disco.
The late sixties kicked open this door in all it's glory.The uncontrolled wild experimentation of the psychedelic sixties was a blurred and tormented inroad into the musical fortunes ahead. The late sixties held no boundries, no rules. All musical formats were game. This blend of utter madness, loss of complete convention, is what created the sixties, and it's music.
Out of this smoking crater, that hole in time, came a relative vision of clearity. Genres.
Thus the divisions were born.
I can't explain the jump between Sabbath and the Jackson Five. How things got that wierd I don't know. But I think Tiny Tim might have been involved.
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 04:29
Oh, you best believe Tim was involved, the man was a genius and clearly had a huge impact on all modern music.
 Post Reply Post Reply