FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical Music
    Posted: October 07 2006 at 03:37
I think Classical Music was proto-prog and I maybe wrong. Look at what ELP did with Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, now that's a big progress right there. If Richard Wagner were alive today, he would work with King Crimson. If Beethoven was alive, he might work with Genesis. If Bach were around, he would work with Pink Floyd. and if Mussorgsky was around he would work with ELP. For my money, Classical music was proto-prog. What do you think?
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 04:01
To say Classical Music is proto-prog, is an outrage; I'm sorry to say that. Stern Smile

Classical Music is, up to now, the most extensive period of music history, stretching at least from the XIII century (in a definite way), on to present time (at least till the disambiguation that started within the 40s, 50).

ELP's work on Mussorgsky's Picture isn't the progress. Mussorgsky's Picture is itself the progress, the state of the art, the touch of grace and inspiration. ELP just rightfully transposed that into the rock feeling and into the mild representation.

Richard Wagner, with its monumentality scale, mystification attitude and its leit-motif effect would be something far from the Crimson void, recklessness and so on.

BEETHOVEN ISN'T NOWHERE NEAR A CONNECTION WITH GENESIS.

BACH, THE RIGOROUS, THE ARMONIC, THE GENIOUS "ORCHESTRATOR" AND THE SIMPLE PERFECTION, ISN'T NEAR THE PSYCHEDELIC, DISPERSED, TONE-DRIVEN PINK FLOYD.

I must say you judge things at least awfully strange, Nathanson. You are surely not into Classical Music one bit. However the spectre remains the same, detached, unaffected et caetera. You are simply using words, making ideas and linking names that don't have anything in common.

(to not say that everything else started from Classical Music or the Classical Music is the most divine form of music, bla bla bla...Wink)

Stern Smile

Edited by Ricochet - October 07 2006 at 04:03
Nathanson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 04:14
What I was saying was that the roots of Prog was in Classical Music (there's nothing wrong with that and you may disagree with me on that) I agree that Mussorgsky's Pictures was a progress, But I love ELP's version of Pictures (there's nothing wrong on that) And I may got a little sidetracked with Bach=Floyd, Beethoven=ELP, etc. But like I said there was a old music newspaper that said "If Wagner were alive, he would work with King Crimson". No Foul on that. Now I may not be a fan of Classical Music. But look at Rick Wakeman's Arthur and Center of the earth, he used real classical musicians to tell the story. And also Floyd's atom heart mother with violins, and horns. And ricohet I agree with you 100% I do say things that are strange and not everyone understands what I'm saying. It's not everybody's cup of coffee dude. I could sympathize with you, most classical musicians are okay, most of them are quite unanimous. But the roots of Prog was in Jazz and Classical Music. So no harm, no foul
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 04:29

now this second statement of yours is much more adequate. Wink

Originally posted by Nathanson Nathanson wrote:

But the roots of Prog was in Jazz and Classical Music. l

that, however, doesn't mean proto-prog.

• Classical Music isn't prog
  • Classical Music was before all else, but not actually before prog
  • Classical Music doesn't define prog.
and things like that.

"For my money", it's out of the discussion for classical music to be anything prog.

Viceversa, things could symbolically be interpreted, but with the carefullness of an annotated term or intention. Smile
Nathanson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 05:03
But have you lost focus on the idea that the roots of Prog was in classical music? if you disagree with me, that's okay I have no problem with that. I don't care if you think I'm stupid or anything. But the one thing I object is you saying I use words and making up stuff which is absolute nonsense. You're just acting like a little baby who doesn't care about the essence of Prog.
*Sigh* look i don't hate you or anything like that, for the record I will straighten things out, I agree that Classical Music has no essence in Proto-Prog, but look at the Moody Blues, Rick Wakeman and Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother and tell me there is some classical instruments that sound a little bit like Classical Music.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 05:14
*sigh just as well* I don't think you're "stupid or anything"; you just presented the thought without insight.

by the underlined idea, I must say that having classical musicians around the band or having classic-factor instruments within the composition doesn't really make it a strong connection with Classical Music. Sure the Atom Heart Mother composition has its orchestral reprises. But just how Ivan denies the connection or orchestral meaning symphonic (off-subject!), I deny the true and eloquent relation between an orchestrated composition and a classical music compound. The choice of playing the music by an orchestra or by a facsimil essence of classical methods aren't that convincing. Rick Wakeman's Journey remains a symphonic masterpiece, with or without the effect of a tutti...

(on other hands, I would certainly point out Waters' Ca Ira as a real connection with what lies in the Opera maneuver. Here are strings attached, here are the movements proper. However not even concerning him is the connection absolute, neither an idea of classical being prog or prog being the post-movement of classical - "roots")

In essence, Prog remains Prog and Classical remains Classical. By this, I am not saying at all that the two are intangible disciplines, but only that distinctions must be made.
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 13:59

Look at what ELP did with Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, now that's a big progress right there.

Confused

The ELP version is unbelievably bad compared to the original masterpiece. I really wished (prog) rock bands would stop raping the classics.

Edited by Dragon Phoenix - October 07 2006 at 13:59
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 06:22
Proto-Prog is for music that influenced Prog bands. Classical music influenced Prog bands. Classical music is Proto-Prog.

See now why Proto-Prog is such a problem child? Get rid of it! Please!
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 10:12
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Proto-Prog is for music that influenced Prog bands. Classical music influenced Prog bands. Classical music is Proto-Prog.

About the same short insight that Nathanson proved.

Please say, exactly, what of Classical Music influenced Prog bands(?!!)/music. Disapprove

Also perhaps you'd like to read what follows after the first phrase of the definition.

The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog

The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few.

Edited by Ricochet - October 08 2006 at 10:15
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 19:03
Pretentious, Hackneyed, at times, Vapid
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 02:51
Prog has "influences" from EVERY genre of music - does that make every other genre of music Proto prog?

Proto prog surely only includes music in the Rock sphere?

Prog Archives Tour Van
gong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 03:04

some ROCK STARS are musicians with Classical Music education, as Rick Wakeman for example, who learned to be a clasicall pianist at Royal Colledge of Music, but never get a diploma, and he was to discharge from that institution (because he was playin' ROCK in the clubs & studios), but the results of that fusion are not so great from todays view , IMO, but with all of respect 'cause it was one brave experiment, NO DOUBT!

Classical Music went more to reflection in the music of instrumental bands as OREGON, and Manfred Eicher's ECM production. So, influence of Classical Music went more to fit close to young(on that golden era of 70's) JAZZ musicians, as Jan Garbarek, especialy Keith Jarrett, and many others who are recording for that genuine ECM production...and today it is still like that, more warm and more interresting fusion with Classical Music, 
 than Classical Music influence in whole ROCK, include prog-rock as well.   

rgds.

Edited by gong - October 09 2006 at 05:26
Goldenavatar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 10:56

What do people consider the hallmarks of prog? Epic songs, techinical virtuosity, perfection in composition and structure, literary themes, vocal harmony and counterpoint, non standard time, concept works? These are all things classical composers (and I don't just mean classical period, but baroque, romantic, and modern periods as well) have done. And they did it a lot. And most of them did it far more elegantly than progsters. In fact I wonder, what is a similar trait of prog that is not a trait of classical? I can't think of any off the top of my head (although I certainly believe there could be some). My own personal belief is that these things are all peripheral aspects of prog. The thing that really separates prog from any other form of music is its use of harmony, modality, scales, and other tonal aspects. Prog utilizes these things in a way classical music does not, hence separating the two genres. Similarly for any two genres. Blues is blues because of its tonal structure, not because the lyrics are sad and sung by blind black men. My own humble opinion.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 11:05
Originally posted by Goldenavatar Goldenavatar wrote:

The thing that really separates prog from any other form of music is its use of harmony, modality, scales, and other tonal aspects. Prog utilizes these things in a way classical music does not, hence separating the two genres.

well I don't want to put the rain over you, but classical music actually comprises all the "things" said completely, plus so much better. "we" even have the discipline of harmony.  however it's best to say that all music contains its harmony, its modality, its scales and its tonal aspects (except those who just bash music, or mock those "things). they are after all, "things" of music...

otherwise, an argument upon which I comfortably agree. Clap

Edited by Ricochet - October 25 2006 at 11:17
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 14:48
If all the great composers were around these days, it's unlikely they would be hanging out with rock bands. They would just be making classical music as they did back then. To my knowledge there are not many contemporary composers taking an interest in rock music. I'm not aware of Steve Reich or Michael Nyman (for example) writng for and working with rock bands. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone got examples?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
blindtoad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 14:58
classic can't be mixed with prog... it'S an other genre... you can't mix music from the XIV century with prog... prog is inspire with classic but don't improve it... Pictures from ELP is not improve only adapeted...
quelqu'un pour un jam?

blindtoad = Poor english...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 15:31
Hi Nathanson, first because you're new I use bold blue font not to shout but because I'm going to add some comments in your post and it's the only way to difference one from another. Wink

I don't believe Rico tried to offend you, sometimes we may sound a bit rude because we're passionate but knowing him I don't believe he ment any disrespect, your opinion is valid but I will also disagree at some point:

But have you lost focus on the idea that the roots of Prog was in classical music?

Honestly I believe the roots of Progressive Rock are in ROCK MUSIC, it's a natural evolution from the basic Blues based structure to a more complex one, when Rock & Roll formula was exausted in the early 60's some new bands went simpler like early Beatles with the even simpler formula of POP (Love Me Do, Please Please Me, etc) but another musicians started to blend Rock with other sounds, Psychedelia incorporated a lot of Hindu musical elements, it was common to listen sitars, and oriental sounds in bands as The Beatles, Sweetw@ter, The Doords, etc, that was probably the most adventurous change at that moment.

But Prog went further, they used  Rock structure but blended it with Classical (Symphonic), Jazz (Fusion), Early Medieval and Ethnic (Folk Prog), 20 Century Classical (Avant Garde), etc.

The roots of Prog are in Rock, the different influences lead to different evolutions (BTW, I believe Bach was closer to Genesis than Beethoven ever was, ELP was closer to Post Romantic Movements of Classical music (The Mighty Handfull, Janacek, etc), Yes..well Yes was Yes and added Baroque elements as a topping of the cake and Renaissance blended Medieval early Classical with Folk.

if you disagree with me, that's okay

Thanks for that, there's a lot of people that can't stand the disagreement.

I have no problem with that. I don't care if you think I'm stupid or anything. But the one thing I object is you saying I use words and making up stuff which is absolute nonsense. You're just acting like a little baby who doesn't care about the essence of Prog.

Nobody thinks you're stupid, if we ask 20 members for a definition of Prog, I'm sure you will have 20 different definitions but at the end most will recognize a Prog band from a non Prog one.

So we are used to disagree and nobody thinks another member is stupid because each and every member has a different perspective on the same bands.

*Sigh* look i don't hate you or anything like that, for the record I will straighten things out, I agree that Classical Music has no essence in Proto-Prog, but look at the Moody Blues,

In the case of the Moody Blues I believe they were a soft Poppy Psyche band that made an orchestral album, I honestly can't find Classical roots in Days of Future Passed despite the use of a Symphony Orchestra and the effort I placed in searching for it.

The orchestral sections are mostly limited to an artificial intro and a coda but the songs themself have been recorded repeatedly as Poppy hit singles (Nights in White Satin, Tuesday Afternoon or even their version of Forever Autumn from War of the Worlds) by simply deleting the intro and coda. 

Rick Wakeman

He's a special case, IMHO he went backwards, instead of adapting Classical elements to Rock, he adapted Rock elemnts to Classical music, but that's because the epic and historic nature of his solo work, and because he has a classical formation that he can't ignore.

and Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother and tell me there is some classical instruments that sound a little bit like Classical Music.

Well IMO Pink Floyd has almost no Classical influences, they clearly come from Psychedelia to create something different, the use of Orchestra or orchestral arrangements and instruments doesn't make something Classical or Classical rooted.

Prog is too wide to limit it to Classical music, maybe in the 70's it was closer but today you can find almost anything in Progressive Rock, even Metal and Andean music.

Hope it helps.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 25 2006 at 15:46

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 15:39
Thanks Iván for that short word regarding my opinion, I didn't meant no offence to anyone, just stating my point of view from the few I know as a classical music "person". I just can't treat this mildly, like it's a superficial "examination"; a bit of documentation from both sides is always the perfect thing. Fine explanations of yours, from the prog view. Clap

Edited by Ricochet - October 25 2006 at 15:41
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 16:34
Sure, a lot of prog has classical influences.  There's plenty in ELP, and many Genesis songs have very classical-like passages in them.  There's one problem.  You're comparing Classical to Prog Rock.  So no, classical isn't in any prog category at all, unless you find some way to convince me that classical music has rock elements.
Goldenavatar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 17:39
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Goldenavatar Goldenavatar wrote:

The thing that really separates prog from any other form of music is its use of harmony, modality, scales, and other tonal aspects. Prog utilizes these things in a way classical music does not, hence separating the two genres.

well I don't want to put the rain over you, but classical music actually comprises all the "things" said completely, plus so much better. "we" even have the discipline of harmony.  however it's best to say that all music contains its harmony, its modality, its scales and its tonal aspects (except those who just bash music, or mock those "things). they are after all, "things" of music...

otherwise, an argument upon which I comfortably agree. Clap

I apologise, I wasn't trying to say that classical music doesn't make use of tonal aspects. What I meant was that it uses tonality in a way which is different from the way prog uses it. For example, you won't hear much Locrian Mode in classical music. Hopefully that clarifies things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>