Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zep the best of the first four?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Select your fav between I, II, III, & IV
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.13%]
7 [17.95%]
13 [33.33%]
13 [33.33%]
4 [10.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:20

III. I'm basically a Zep fanboy, so all of them are masterpieces to me, but III shows how diverse they were stylistically and how talented they were as songwriters. Plus it contains the greatest blues song ever written by white boys, 'Since I've Been Loving You'.

Hacketeer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:22
I can't stand Zeppelin, so can I have a special category - Can't choose, they're all dreadful! Wink
"Just keep me nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam"
fairyliar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:27
lol Hacketeer
well I didn't imagine such on option as it was clear for me that everyone loves Led Zep! ;)
Have you already listen to any of these albums?
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:30
Originally posted by Hacketeer Hacketeer wrote:

I can't stand Zeppelin, so can I have a special category - Can't choose, they're all dreadful! Wink

Confused

How is it humanly possible not to like Led Zeppelin?
Hacketeer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:43
 When I was an impressionable youth, I owned all these albums, & Song Remains, Presence, Physical Graffitti, & In Through The Out Door.
 I bought these as Zep seem to be in that "un-touchable" category, along with The Beatles, The Stones, (both of whom I do like) & The Doors (who I can't stand either). I saw through them in my late teens, strangely though, it's only in the last few years I've realised I'm not crazy about Floyd either! Please contact me for a picture to base your voodoo dolls / burning effigies on!
 Sorry guys, Zep don't do it for me, whether it's Plants un-intelligable girl-noises, or, more likely, Page's stuttering and entirely over-rated guitar playing, but I don't like them. Out of interest, the album I dislike least, is, ...Out Door, which all Zep fans I know despise.............hmmm!
"Just keep me nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam"
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 15:45
III followed by I. I like IV but it's not my fave by a long way that goes to Physical Graffiti
willy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 15:58
III, II, IV, I

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 16:28
Originally posted by Hacketeer Hacketeer wrote:

When I was an impressionable youth, I owned all these albums, & Song Remains, Presence, Physical Graffitti, & In Through The Out Door.
 I bought these as Zep seem to be in that "un-touchable" category, along with The Beatles, The Stones, (both of whom I do like) & The Doors (who I can't stand either). I saw through them in my late teens, strangely though, it's only in the last few years I've realised I'm not crazy about Floyd either! Please contact me for a picture to base your voodoo dolls / burning effigies on!
 Sorry guys, Zep don't do it for me, whether it's Plants un-intelligable girl-noises, or, more likely, Page's stuttering and entirely over-rated guitar playing, but I don't like them. Out of interest, the album I dislike least, is, ...Out Door, which all Zep fans I know despise.............hmmm!

LOL Now that's a healthy strategy ... buy tons of albums you're *supposed* to like and find out years later that you don't like them.

Maybe "impressionable" isn't the right word ... how about "open minded"?Wink
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 17:13
I voted IV because that was the perfect answer to the fans and press about the increasing critical comments that Led Zep had turned into a folk band. By the way, I love III (as an acoustic guitarplayer I am delighted about Bron-Y-Aur Stomp) but IV sounds more varied and mature to me Thumbs Up 
the icon of sin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 19:24
IV has "The Battle Of Evermore" on it. Nuff said. Clap
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 19:30

I love them all, but III and IV are their best. between those to it's a choice for Since I've Been Lovin You, what a fabulous song.

Stairway is nice, and when the levee breaks very good also, and Battle of Evermore is just fabulous, but as a whole I prefer III. 

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 02:32
They're all diamonds, but LZ IV is a milestone masterpiece and they knew it - they even dared to leave off an album title or any writing or band references on the sleeve completely, and "let the music do the talking" !  As for that cover art - the painting Plant found in a junk shop in Reading, but the sentiment behind it is still valid today....

"The front cover shows a framed picture of an old man carrying a bundle of sticks on his back, slowly trudging back home after having collected his firewood. The picture is hung on the inside wall of an old cottage, the wallpaper peeling off the plaster. Open the sleeve, and the back shows that  the wall of the cottage has been either knocked down or fallen away. In the distance is a high-rise housing block, an estate the likes of which are found in every major city in the UK.....the building program had been a total failure....the old man, carrying the wood, is in harmony with nature. He takes from nature and gives back to the land, it's a natural circle. It's right. His old cottage gets pulled down and they put him in these urban slums, terrible places...."

Led Zeppelin IV

Edited by mystic fred - October 09 2006 at 02:35
Prog Archives Tour Van
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 03:47
Check out Thumbs Up :

Rock Milestones - Led Zeppelin's IV %28DTS%29
This DVD is formatted for playback on PAL enabled systems (Australian Standard).

The fourth Led Zeppelin album was released without a title. It is known variously as "Four Symbols", "Runes" and "Led Zeppelin IV" but what ever you call it, it's undoubtedly a work of genius that has stood the test of time brilliantly. Featuring rare footage of Led Zeppelin in concert plus rare live radio broadcasts and interviews with all four members of the band, this is the ultimate review of one of the landmarks of the rock world.

Special Features:
  • Image Gallery

Released: Thursday, 23 February 2006
Audio: DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 Fullscreen
Transfer Format: 4:3
Category: Music
Region: 4
Format: DVD
Year: 2005
Distributor: Stomp
Rating: PG
Languages: English
Subtitles: French Italian German Spanish
Running Time: 57 mins
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 23:33
It's actually hard for me to believe Zep 4 is winning here, a prog site. Now, I was the biggest Ledhead I knew - bootlegs, collectibles, you name it - and to me, not only is 4 their weakest it's also the most over-exposed. The first three and following four blow #4 away, sorry. BTW, diehard Zep fans like 'Out Door', and SRTS is one of the finest live rock documents ever. Even 'Coda' rocks and is always fresher sounding than the fourth.
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 17:12
none...
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 17:12
It's a toss up between III and IV.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 17:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It's actually hard for me to believe Zep 4 is winning here, a prog site. Now, I was the biggest Ledhead I knew - bootlegs, collectibles, you name it - and to me, not only is 4 their weakest it's also the most over-exposed. The first three and following four blow #4 away, sorry. BTW, diehard Zep fans like 'Out Door', and SRTS is one of the finest live rock documents ever. Even 'Coda' rocks and is always fresher sounding than the fourth.

that's not the opinion of a fan, that's the opinion of someone who knows all the records and wants to be somewhat different from the rest.

how do you proof to be a real fan, first thing , love something that isn't under the general consent to be the best.

excample (use Queen, for i am a real fan I love Hot Space Best, so I know what i'm talking about)
A real fan like us would call Queen II their best and A Kind Of Magic their worst (not counting hot space, for that's really their worst) 

now comes the tricky part, A Kind Of Magic is better produced the melody's come stronger out of the muysic, the rhythms are more tighter, and the songs more coherent on AKOM, so why is Queen II higher rated, because we all want to appear knowledgable, on this site progressive rules, so we take the more frantic, different approach, rather than the methodically construed songs on AKOM. technically i think A Kind of Magic is better.

anyone who understands me, please forget as fast as possible, for Queen I is actually their best album.

back on subject.

For me Led Zeppelin lost it's appeal after IV, Houses of The Holy is rather boring, Physical is filled with filler material (leftover stuff and some good songs naturally) Presence and In Through The Outdoor sees them trying to regain their chemistry they had in their first four years, and coda is an afterbirth which shouldn't have been released like it was.

so why I choose III over IV, maybe because I am a fan of the band and want to distinguish myself by being slightly different from the rest.

knowing this, with a new analysation, I must agree with the persons regarding IV as the Ultimate Led Zep album, for songs like Stairway, Battle of Evermore, Rock and Roll, WHen The LEvee Breaks, and Going To California are probable better than III, I love all songs on III, but basically IV beats the hell out of every Led Z. album. and comes home unscratched.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 23:45
Whether I'm a 'real fan' or not, it has nothing to do with wanting to seem special or eccentric. It's just my humble opinion from years of intensive listening to the records and live recordings (of which there are well over 500). I'm also not the only one who thinks 4 isn't their best record, of that I am sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12