Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Neo Disconnect
    Posted: October 11 2006 at 01:31
'Tech-death'... I like it. I guess that's the beauty of progressive music, the continual inclusion or exclusion of other music forms, as the musicians turn inside-out the music that came before.
Selkie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 19:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I also didn't care for Cynic (are they neo or prog metal?), but the effort and vision they put into 'Focus' was tremendous.   

Cynic usually get put in the same boat as Atheist and later period Death, who are technical death metal. Focus is softer than the typical tech-death album, and has jazzy influences.
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 18:40

Soul Dreamer-- Keen point; melodic appeal is often at odds with structure, and I go back and forth liking both. Also, my first neo prog CD was I.Q.'s 'Dark Matter'-- it's a great album but I wasn't listening often and removed it from my regular collection. But your point is made; my first taste of the style was one I didn't love, so I didn't pursue the other stuff. I also didn't care for Cynic (are they neo or prog metal?), but the effort and vision they put into 'Focus' was tremendous.

Sorry I went away, but I have to sleep sometimes (it was 6:30 in the morning....). I agree with you there (about melodic appeal being often at odds with structure). To me both are important, but I tend to look over those tracks that don't meet decent structural requisits, whereas if a whole album doesn't offer me at least a few good melodies, I will qualify it as "unlistenable". I like to hum a good tune sometimesWink About Cynic: I don't know the album so I cannot comment. I.Q. has some very good albums, I like Dark Matter!
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 00:43
O.K...
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 00:40

O.K. fellas, but let's try to remember the topic; what causes the divide between neo fans and certain others-- is it purely taste? You two both like neo but not all the same artists and sometimes for different reasons.

I used to like neo-prog, but now I exclusively listen to Lil' John. WHHHHHAAAAATTT! YEEEAAAAHHH!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 00:30
Soul Dreamer-- Keen point; melodic appeal is often at odds with structure, and I go back and forth liking both. Also, my first neo prog CD was I.Q.'s 'Dark Matter'-- it's a great album but I wasn't listening often and removed it from my regular collection. But your point is made; my first taste of the style was one I didn't love, so I didn't pursue the other stuff. I also didn't care for Cynic (are they neo or prog metal?), but the effort and vision they put into 'Focus' was tremendous.

Edited by Atavachron - October 10 2006 at 01:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 00:22
@ E-Dub: Yes, probably I'll go. But I'm not certain yet. Ask me again in December, and I'll know

@Atavachron: Yeah, we were a little off-topic, but to get on topic again I'll just repeat one of my former posts:
Actually, I'm getting a bit fed-up with the neo-bashing (and prog-metal bashing!) going on here sometimes. Neo is one of the most divers genres here on PA. It varies between (sometimes cheesy) symphonic type music and highly original music. One thing it has in common mi is that it's always very melodic, and to me that's a good quality. At this moment I'm listening to Quidam, and before that to Satellite. Both highly original and beautiful. I love neo!
Is it all taste? : I think a lot of people who "dispise" neo should just listen some more albums: I find that of one band I like some albums very much, and other not so much. (e.g. Quidam I like SurREvival much more than other albums). That's the same with other genres, I suppose. If the first album you encounter is not good in your opinion, then you too easily dispose of the genre as a whole. Ofcourse you should not look in the neo genre for REVOLUTIONARY music, since that's just not what it is. Then you should shop in RIO/Avant or Zeuhl, not in Neo.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 22:18
O.K. fellas, but let's try to remember the topic; what causes the divide between neo fans and certain others-- is it purely taste? You two both like neo but not all the same artists and sometimes for different reasons.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 22:01
Are you going to the convention? I believe it's in your country.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, too. I got the latest WebUK magazine and they talk a lot about the new disc. Gonna be a good 40th birthday next year.

E
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 21:41
Thanks for the info Clap
I'll certainly get it as soon as I can, I love Marillion!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 21:32
It's due to come out in March (My birthday's in March. I know what I'm asking for!) and here's a track listing:

Real Tears for Sale
Circular Ride
State of Mind
Faith
Voice from the past
Why is nothing ever
No such thing
Most toys
You can't
Older than me
Wound
Mr Taurus
Especially true
Not your fault
Other half
Threw me out
Thank you
See it like a baby
Half the world
Last century for man

I think it's only a single disc; however, there are a lot of songs for merely a single disc. Also, I've heard "Circular Rides", "Half The World", and "Last Century For Man" are pretty killer.

E

Edited by E-Dub - October 09 2006 at 21:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 21:22
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Teardrop is the title I've heard.

E

Thanks, mate.
Do you know anything else of the album (is it going to be a double one like Marbles, or a single, what about the number of songs on the album, when will it be released?)
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 21:09
Teardrop is the title I've heard.

E
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:59
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I don't know. I like everything else by Pendragon (don't know about Kowtow, though). I think my favorite would have to be either Believe or The Masquerade Overture. The Wishing Well is probably my favorite Pendragon song. Cool

my favorite one is jewel: it  is a jewell!
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:59
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Oh, and I may have learned the title of the new Marillion album. It was leaked acidentally.

E

What is it?!Big smile

YEAH YEAH YEAH!Tongue

Please, Please TELL US! Big smile Wink

Actually, I'm getting a bit fed-up with the neo-bashing going on here sometimes. Neo is one of the most divers genres here on PA. It varies between (sometimes cheesy) symphonic type music and highly original. One thing it has in common mi is that it's always very melodic, and to me that's a good quality. At this moment I'm listening to Quidam, and before that to Satellite. Both highly original and beautiful. I love neo!
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:34

Oh, and I may have learned the title of the new Marillion album. It was leaked acidentally.

E

What is it?!Big smile

YEAH YEAH YEAH!Tongue
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:31

E

What is it?!Big smile
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:30
I don't know. I like everything else by Pendragon (don't know about Kowtow, though). I think my favorite would have to be either Believe or The Masquerade Overture. The Wishing Well is probably my favorite Pendragon song. Cool
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:30

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:28

<<Not of this World has some of the most rediculous keyboard work I've ever heard, though. Clive Nolan must've been going through a phase or soemthing....>> I should give that a closer listen next time. That's probably my favorite Pendragon disc, besides Masquerade Overture. E

I was just listening to it in the car a few hours ago (it's not good driving music, by the way [IMG]height=17 alt=Tongue src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>). The melodies are great, some of the best in Pendragon's career, but everything is just too much. In my review, I said the biggest downfall in the album is that it tried to do EVERYTHING. I bet there are at least 8 layers in each song, with the keyboards taking up 3 or so. Go for minimalism or the middle ground, but so many layers is the equivalent of being hit with a brick. [IMG]height=17 alt=Embarrassed src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

The car is where I do my main listening, and the last time I played it (a few weeks ago) I thoroughly enjoyed it. In all actuality, Pendragon's music is what I enjoy the most. Barrett's vocals can be a bit grating at times, but the man is a very good guitarist.

I'm sure you and I are hearing different things. Not saying you're wrong by any stretch of the imagination. I may like the over-the-top keys more than you. It's all a matter of taste.

E

Edited by E-Dub - October 09 2006 at 20:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>