Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10cc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:51
Well first of all, why we should dispute Supertramps progressive  roots and qualities is beyond me.

A band is, or is not progressive on it's own merit, other bands should not be included in the argument whether a certain band is prog or not. This is one of those slippery slopes, some prog purist (which I'm not) are afraid of.

Supertramp are considered progressive on the basis of some songs and albums (Debut, COTC, and EITQM, and some songs on the other albums qualify aswel IMO). However they have some doubtful progressive elements, when bands like 10CC, or queen for that matter are judged on basis of those songs, they come out of the comparison as overly progressive, but your comparing oranges with lemons.

Furthermore, because a progressive band plays in a certain style, create certain sounds and incorporate elements of other genres in their music, doesn't mean that when another band does the same thing, or create similar sounds, that they are progressive.

By incorporating non-prog elements of progressive bands into a bands music, makes the sound somewhat similar, but that doesn't make it prog.

hope anyone understands what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, i consider 10CC a progressive rock band, with a fair deal of commercial pop elements interwoven in their music. For me inclusion is not a problem, but not because they share some same roots and influense with progressive acts as Supertramp.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:54

heh, that's kind of funny because I don't think Supertramp or 10cc are either one prog at all.  Crime of the Century and Even in the Quietest Moments are two of the best pop-rock albums ever.  But Prog?  *cough*.  I can tell you this.  It would NEVER have occured to anyone when these records by 10cc and Supertramp came out to lump them in with KC and Gong or Yes or ELP releases of the same era. 

The thinking that "I like Prog + I like xxx album = xxx album is prog" is bad math all the way round.  I'm not accusing maani or the rest of you of that thinking in general.  But it does have over-tones in many of the threads.

And, I can't wait to throw the prog-pop window open.  Because there were a good 100 bands (especially of the campy/theatrical style) in the 70s who made really sh*tty experimental/pompous rock records.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:56
IMO both 10cc and Supertramp are progressive pop. And I ain't gonna explain why
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:58

Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

what fun is that?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:01
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

heh, that's kind of funny because I don't think Supertramp or 10cc are either one prog at all.  Crime of the Century and Even in the Quietest Moments are two of the best pop-rock albums ever.  But Prog?  *cough*.  I can tell you this.  It would NEVER have occured to anyone when these records by 10cc and Supertramp came out to lump them in with KC and Gong or Yes or ELP releases of the same era. 

The thinking that "I like Prog + I like xxx album = xxx album is prog" is bad math all the way round.  I'm not accusing maani or the rest of you of that thinking in general.  But it does have over-tones in many of the threads.

And, I can't wait to throw the prog-pop window open.  Because there were a good 100 bands (especially of the campy/theatrical style) in the 70s who made really sh*tty experimental/pompous rock records.

No, no..u got it all wrong my friend. I don't think noone thinks like that, well I don't anyway. Why do u think that anyone thinks like that? I think like this 1, ohh what a wonderful record 2, sounds like euro-techno...3, GREAT. Example number two: 1, Ohhh..what a great record!!! 2, Sounds like prog:))  3, Great:)....and so on...get it???

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:02
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

what fun is that?

u would never know...

Prog-Brazil View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 07:52
What pop-prog would include? America, Toto, CSNY, David Bowie, Poco, Fleetwood MAc?
Let the sunshine in
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 08:22

Originally posted by Prog-Brazil Prog-Brazil wrote:

What pop-prog would include? America, Toto, CSNY, David Bowie, Poco, Fleetwood MAc?

I could see Bowie possibly, but none of the rest of those.

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 09:09
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Are there no people here (except for maani and myself) who like 10cc??

You can also say why you don't like them...

Come on, children, don't be shy

I listened to them alot mid 70's my best mate was more into them than I  and whereas I always found them very talented songwriters /musicians I always thought they could have achieved so much more.But at the time they wrote some spectacular rock/pop music.My biggest disappointment was on seeing them live in Glasgow Feb 1976 they played a very short set and didn't seem too bothered about the audience.But Rubber Bullets brings back very fond 6th year school memories.Angela Bowman where are you now?
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 11:18

tuxon:

You say, "Why we should dispute Supertramps progressive roots and qualities is beyond me."  Yet you give no support for that declarative statement.  Indeed, I would be more likely to agree with JM that "It would NEVER have occured to anyone when these records by 10cc and Supertramp came out to lump them in with KC and Gong or Yes or ELP releases of the same era."

Again, the question is not one of "well, if Supertramp is here, then 10CC should be here" based solely on their co-influencing, or that they appeared around the same time, etc.  It is based on an analysis of their music.  In this regard, I find it interesting that, after I made my case comparing COTC with OS - and various songs with each other - neither Easy Livin nor anyone else could dispute it, except your broad-brush, over-generalized comment about "Supertramp's progressive roots" - which I question per se, and for which you seem to have no actual support.

As noted, I have followed both groups' careers from their first albums and own both of their entire oeuvres, and it would never have occurred to me to call either of them "prog," unless we include a "progressive pop" category.  Indeed, with minor exceptions the two groups are - in every respect, including composition, arrangement, approach, etc. - virtually identical.  Indeed, simplistically, if you remove the sax from Supertramp, the two groups have almost identical qualities: non-standard pop chord progressions; intelligent, even intellectual lyrics; superb multi-layered harmonies; and a sense of humor - playfulness - that is rare.  Neither one goes very far into non-standard time signatures, extended compositions, use of "symphonic" style keyboards, or any of the other characteristics generally ascribed to "prog."

No, I see no greater "progressive roots" in Supertramp than I do in 10CC.  They debuted at virtually the same time, and their "roots" are almost identical, the primary one being The Beatles.  In this regard, either they are both "prog" or they are both not "prog."  To my mind - based on a deep knowledge of both of their catalogues and a pretty good understanding of what is "prog" - either they both belong here, or neither one does, and there are no cogent arguments that can be made otherwise.

Peace.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 15:18

Maani, the following is a response to your previous post. I can't keep up with the pace of the forum!Embarrassed

Quote This is one debate I will "join," since it is probably my single biggest bugaboo with this site. As an aside, I own every Supertramp album and every 10CC album, so this is an issue I feel eminently qualified to debate.

Then we are talking as equalsApprove. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on Supertramp’s first two albums ("Supertramp" and "Indelibly stamped"), do you feel these are also pop or pop-prog? Do you perceive them to be any more progressive than their subsequent albums?

Quote Can you explain to me what makes Crime of the Century "progressive?" I think you are giving too much credit to the fact that it is a "concept" album, rather than to whether the music is prog or not.

I do not in fact lay any great store on the concept side of COTC, for me the concept is not that obvious when you listen to the album. It’s not like Wakeman’s "King Arthur" or "Journey" albums for example. The album does however flow well, in the way the Moody Blues (who I feel Supertramp have significant similarities with) magnificent 7 albums did.

Quote For example, what makes "Hide in Your Shell" - my favorite song on COTC, and arguably one of the two most "prog" on it - more "prog" than "One Night in Paris," my favorite song on Original Soundtrack? I'm talking about musically, instrumentally, arrangement, production, etc. For my money, they are about equal. But HIYS is certainly no more prog than ONIP.

I would suggest that to compare the progressiveness of two tracks because they are favourites is not necessarily the right approach. ONIP is the only track on TOS which is anywhere near prog, but it lacks instrumental passages (for me a key ingredient of prog), and as I said previously it is little more than three pop songs joined together. (Great track though). HIYS on the other hand, while having some prog tenets, is not the most progressive on COTC. Tracks such as "Rudy", "School", "Asylum", and the magnificent title track all have (IMO) the necessary ingredients of classic prog. By the way, I mentioned the MOODY BLUES a minute ago. I reckon HIYS is very similar in structure to that band’s wonderful song "Isn’t life strange".

Quote Similarly, what makes the title song on COTC - the other one with the most "prog" elements - more "prog" than "Brand New Day," or even "Flying Junk?" Again, I'm talking musically, intrsumentally, etc.

All down to opinion, but I’m afraid I see little prog in the 10CC tracks you mention. A bit fancy, but that's all.

Quote Finally, I would say that "I'm Not in Love" (the hit from Original Soundtrack) is miles beyond "Dreamer" (the hit from COTC), which is a fairly basic pop hit.

"Dreamer" is indeed little more that a pop song, but a superb one at that. Most prog albums have at least one track which are not in fact progressive ("For absent friends" – Nursery Cryme, "Your own special way" – Wind and Wuthering", "Jerusalem"- ELP etc.). "I’m not in love" is a wonderful song, and I have no problem agreeing it is better than "Dreamer", but that’s not the point is it?

Quote Ultimately, I doubt seriously that you could make a cogent argument in this regard - at least one that would support Supertramp at the expense of 10CC. Indeed, my guess is that you would only end up proving my point: that either both groups are equally "prog" (if "prog" they are at all), or both groups are not prog. But it is absurd - from a musical point of view - to argue that Supertramp is prog and 10CC is not.

Absurd is a strong and emotive word to use, and appears to be a clumsy attempt to stifle a differing opinion!

At the end of the day, trying to reach any sort of conclusion as to whether one band is more prog than another seems a rather futile pursuit.

I’m not now sure whether you are advocating the inclusion of 10CC in the site, or simply using the opportunity to bash Supertramps’s credentials one more time. If we disregard Supertramp and all the others for a minute, what is your opinion on whether 10CC should be added to the site, based solely on their output, and the site’s criteria?

Peace.

Quote P.S. And I have not even begun to discuss How Dare You, with songs like I Wanna Rule The World, I'M Mandy Fly Me, Iceberg and Don't Hang Up - all of which are so far beyond anything Supertramp wrote (vis-a-vis prog-ness) that it is almost ludicrous to discuss it.

I really don’t see that. Where on any of those tracks is there a decent instrumental. They might in some cases have two melodies instead of the usual one (something 10CC were good at doing, and it did make them seem clever),. They certainly are great songs, but prog? Never. To suggest it is "ludicrous to discuss it" implies an arrogance about the superiority of you opinions which I'm sure you do not intend.Wink

As a conclusion, I have to say that my opinion about Supertramp’s prog credentials is clearly not as strong as yours (in opposite directions of course). They are by no means my favourite band, and I readily acknowledge that much of the music they made on later Hodgson era albums was geared towards the pop market. I do feel though that you labour the point too often. As you know, Supertramp will not be removed from the site. Perhaps now is the time to just live with the fact that they are here to stay, and enjoy the all the positive aspects of the site.

All the best, Bob

Edited by Easy Livin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 11:10

Originally posted by jojim jojim wrote:

Hi, let me mingle into that conversation about 10CC and  Gentle Giant (GG). I'm 50 and still regard 10cc as a progressive band because they used parts of different styles of music in their songs. They broke the rules of "cgf" harmonies. For me it is progressive but more "pop" than the music of  e.g. GENESIS. 10CC wrote mostly songs in a clear structure as the BEATLES did. And they experimented with sounds (I'm not in love). What do you do more to be progressive?

GENTLE GIANT is terrible good. I bought my first album 1973 "Three friends". I was struck by that powerful music that had so gentle moments (Here the name of the group reached it's peak meaning) Now I own nearly all of their cd. But my favorite is still "Three friends". The album is the most coherent of all - at least for me and my musical taste. There are no nerve wrecking passages, no repetitive song elements. Only at the end of the album they repeat a melodic line again and again. But this is made so intelligent and complex that you get greedy to listen to. It's so marvelous crafted, so majestic, so fluent that you might wish it will never stop. This is not the case with other albums. - "Schooldays" is made so fragile with voices that cross over in a haunting way. That is pure fun and has such an atmospheric flow.

Give this album more than "one" chance - it is rewarding for the rest of your life. I listen to it since 32 years - and still like it.

Music can have such a big soul. Clap

You've more or less convinced me to get it  

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 15:01

Did this thread jsut move from the Prog music lounge to the non-prog section?

Does that mean I've changed your mind Maani?WinkLOL

Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 16:00

Whether 10CC are progressive or not is irrelevant really. They made one of the best albums of all time (Sheet Music), two or three other great ones and they could take the piss like noone before or since. Prog rock? Probably not. Great? Certainly!

If Supertramp aren't prog, I don't know who is. Some on this site seem to regard commercial appeal as a mortal sin, but what's the point in recording 20 minute pieces of rubbish, albeit with virtuoso musicianship, if noone buys them? Supertramp had the happy knack of making great music and selling bucketloads. Nothing wrong with that - they never sold out, unlike Genesis.

Tony

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 20:23
To me they are Art-pop,and a very fine band at that.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 20:32
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Whether 10CC are progressive or not is irrelevant really.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 20:33

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

To me they are Art-pop,and a very fine band at that.

Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 20:56
I don't like cricket...I love it!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 21:15

Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

I don't like cricket...I love it!

..DON'T LIKE JAMAICA...I LOVE IT....EY