FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRiverside for the second time in this year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riverside for the second time in this year
    Posted: October 14 2006 at 15:45
On Wednesday I have watched my second Riverside gig this year. The circumstances were different this time, because it was not at the ruins of a gothic castle at goth music festival, but at the musical club in big city, namely W-Z Club in Wrocław, where I have studied...
However, there were some goth reminiscences, because they were supported by goth band Moonlight, whose show took about one hour. Musically quite good (of course not as brilliant as a key star of the evening), lyrically typical to goth stereotype, somewhat childish IMHO. There were few of their devoted fans in the audience, whose majority were luckily progheads.
Moonlight's show had their purposes, because when they finished playing, I went to other room for some refreshment, right at the moment, when my national soccer team scored both goals against Portugal. We have won eventually, but I did not come all the way to watch the soccer match at TV in a pub and when I saw at other monitor, broadcasting the artists, I hurried back.
Like in Bolków, they have started with an intro with quotes from Shine On You Crazy Diamond, with cheers of applause from the crowd (the room was not that big, but crowded it was). And differently with the previous show I watched, they opened in a metal way, with Volte Face and then Artificial Smile. The audience liked it though. Then Mariusz Duda welcomed Wrocław, asked for the score of the match, and told that they were playing the last act of the Second Life Syndrome Tour II in this city because of great audience. Then Riverside played I Turned You Down, which they have not played in April at their previous gig Wrocław, but in different club, not that straightforward rocky, with numbered seats. After that happened the set of obligatory hits from last album, including Second Life Syndrome, Reality Dream III, Conceiving You, which audience sung with Duda (the lighters were missing, but I don't think they are necessary at the prog gig, aren't they?), Dance Of The Shadows, and all the epics. The audience danced, mimicked the lyrics, and cheered at the best moments, Piotr Grudziński being their guitar hero. After more than an hour they have finished with The Curtain Falls, but yells of the crowd brought them back for the encore - The Same River and Reality Dream, in which Mariusz introduced the members of the band and the technical staff (the last concert of a tour), inviting them to stage. After that he bid farewell to the audience and invited us for the next tour, this time promoting the third album they are going to record. But of course yells "Riverside, Riverside" brought them back for short "Out of Myself", which has finished the show. Needless to say they were brilliant, the amplification may be too loud, but I have heard clearly all the wonderful notes produced by Piotr Grudziński.
The performance of one of the greatest prog stars and one of the best matches of my national team at the same time, and to cap this the sight of cute girls dancing to prog (pity I am not much of a dancer). The winter may come now...  
yet you still have time!
 Post Reply Post Reply