Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGENESIS TO TOUR - Its Official!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 00:41
I for one am thrilled at the prospect of any new Genesis material down the road, whether just the three guys or 4 or 5. Most fans probably will be really excited by the news and to compare Genesis to The Musical Box makes no sense. They are a tribute band, nothing more.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 00:50
If they are 4 or 5 I will spend my few bucks in a plane and see them

If they are 3 men, I rather watch The Musical Box.

Iván

martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 03:49
Originally posted by Progfans Progfans wrote:

Originally posted by SirPsycho388 SirPsycho388 wrote:

Wait, there's no Hackett or Gabriel??? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be interested in that.
ClapClapClap

Pay 350$ for see a "Semi-Genesis Reunion"  No thanks...I prefer see the musical box
or re-genesis LOLLOLLOLLOL
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

White Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 04:23
No Hackett,no Gabriel...NO GENESIS!!!!!
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 04:31
I think it's a good thing. They're not 100% prog but they're still a very fine rock band when you compare them to a lot of the other rock bands that are around.
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 04:43
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

I think it's a good thing. They're not 100% prog but they're still a very fine rock band when you compare them to a lot of the other rock bands that are around.

Well said.  It's very easy to get on the "Genesis are crap without Hackett & Gabriel" bandwagon. 

I agree entirely that their pre Then There Were Three stuff was more progressive and can see why some people stop listening there but there is no getting away from the fact that they are still three fine musicians and with a good session lead guitarist and drummer can really kick ass. 
Whilst I wouldn't travel miles or pay a fortune to see them I still remember the Mama and We Can't Dance tours and whilst they weren't the same as Seconds Out they were still damn good shows. 

If they rehearse well and play some of the earlier stuff it should be well worth seeing.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
baldy flapstick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 06:04

http://www.wiventertainment.de/

"For 15 years THE MUSICAL BOX has been re-enacting GENESIS performances as originally presented between 1973 and 1975.

In 2007 the band will tour in Europe with their Gabriel-era shows for the very last time - performing the legendary "SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND" concerts from 1973/74."

This is because their licence runs out soon after. Think mainly because Genesis got jealous lol. Anyone who calls The Musical Box a tribute band is crazy, a tribute band just covers another bands songs and maybe tries to look like them a bit. The Musical Box do exact re-enactments of Genesis shows to every minute detail. The only tiny failing they have is the bass player plays left handed, beyond that it’s pretty much just like being at the original show, which is unlike any tribute band I’ve seen. Re-Genesis are quite average, even poor by comparison.

Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist
krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 06:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by SirPsycho388 SirPsycho388 wrote:

Wait, there's no Hackett or Gabriel??? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be interested in that.

No Hackett,no Gabriel....no interest.

Summed up nicely there, Jody.

So true! Shame that Hackett & Gabriel are not involvedCry

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 06:59
I have named The Musical Box a tribute band because a cover band just plays covers and a tribute band tries to pay tribute in more than a musical way and that's excactly what The Musical Box does, it's even the ultimate tribute band Wink .. greetings from 'crazy Erik' Clown

By the way, I have very mixed feelings about the Phil Collins Trio Reunion tour: on one hand I dislike most of their compositions from And Then There Were Three and later Unhappy but on the other hand, if they play some 70-77 Genesis footage with Tony Banks on his ARP Pro Solist synthesizer, Hammond organ and decent Mellotron samples and an additional guitarist at the level of Daryl Stuermer ..Approve

Edited by erik neuteboom - October 19 2006 at 07:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

Well said.  It's very easy to get on the "Genesis are crap without Hackett & Gabriel" bandwagon. 

No Heavyfreight, it's hard, there's nothing worst for a Genesis fan that their favorite band jopins without the two members that kept it as the best ever.

I rather they never rejoin than if they start again with the boring third class musi of the trio, If I don't listen the howloings and  hyena laughs in  MAMA, that aberration to natuire called Who Dunnitt? or that mediocre and offensice crap called Illegal Alien in 40 years more is too soon.

I agree entirely that their pre Then There Were Three stuff was more progressive and can see why some people stop listening there but there is no getting away from the fact that they are still three fine musicians and with a good session lead guitarist and drummer can really kick ass. 

No Heavyfreight, pre ATTW3 WAS PROGRESSIVE. post Duke HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION WITH PROG it's just plain and boring adult contemporary oriented POP, despite the fact ATTW3 and Duke don't cause me jnausea, wouldn't pay adime to see them.

Sadly when you go to see Genesis, two good musicians (Rutherford was never spectacular IMO) is not enough, if I go to see Genesis I want to se the real deal, not a band that made me hate everuyything they released.

If I want to see POP, good POP, I would go to see Fleetwood Mac but not Genes9is.

Whilst I wouldn't travel miles or pay a fortune to see them I still remember the Mama and We Can't Dance tours and whilst they weren't the same as Seconds Out they were still damn good shows.

The only Genesis show I went was for the IT Tour, I spent all the concert in the bar and only entered to the hall during the medley and left after it because it was so depressive. 

If they rehearse well and play some of the earlier stuff it should be well worth seeing.

No Gabriel and no Hackett, no Genesis IMO.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 19 2006 at 08:59

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 09:01
I'm happy myself. I'm not the hugest fan of their 80s period, but I honestly don't think that if they do record new material, they'd do as much AOR. There's less of a pressure on bands to go commercial than there obviously was in the 80s. They must know it's the prog material that inspires the most affection. And if nothing else, if they do record a new album it would at least ensure the dreadful 'Calling All Stations' wasn't their last.Dead
Wotgorilla View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:38
They are not likely to tour Australia, so the issue of the line up does not concern me personally, although a DVD will be a likely by-product. The problem with an 80's focused show is, where are all the pop fans who jumped on the bandwagon circa IT and WCD now? Those albums may have sold more copy, but a poll of the most listened to Genesis albums in the 21st century would surely list the Gabriel-Hackett era material (71-77) way out in front.
"Thru the darkest age we can surely fly, thru the darkest age with the Fist of Fire"
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:44
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

No Heavyfreight, it's hard, there's nothing worst for a Genesis fan that their favorite band jopins without the two members that kept it as the best ever.

I rather they never rejoin than if they start again with the boring third class musi of the trio, If I don't listen the howloings and  hyena laughs in  MAMA, that aberration to natuire called Who Dunnitt? or that mediocre and offensice crap called Illegal Alien in 40 years more is too soon.

No Heavyfreight, pre ATTW3 WAS PROGRESSIVE. post Duke HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION WITH PROG it's just plain and boring adult contemporary oriented POP, despite the fact ATTW3 and Duke don't cause me jnausea, wouldn't pay adime to see them.

Sadly when you go to see Genesis, two good musicians (Rutherford was never spectacular IMO) is not enough, if I go to see Genesis I want to se the real deal, not a band that made me hate everuyything they released.

If I want to see POP, good POP, I would go to see Fleetwood Mac but not Genes9is.

The only Genesis show I went was for the IT Tour, I spent all the concert in the bar and only entered to the hall during the medley and left after it because it was so depressive. 

No Gabriel and no Hackett, no Genesis IMO.

Iván

So am I not entitled to my opinion?
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:49
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I'm happy myself. I'm not the hugest fan of their 80s period, but I honestly don't think that if they do record new material, they'd do as much AOR. There's less of a pressure on bands to go commercial than there obviously was in the 80s. They must know it's the prog material that inspires the most affection. And if nothing else, if they do record a new album it would at least ensure the dreadful 'Calling All Stations' wasn't their last.Dead

Quite possibly and while I would defend some of the post Gabriel/Hackett material I could not defend the post Gabriel, Hackett and Collins album.  As you say that was truly dreadful.
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:52
This news is a huge disapointment to fans of the "real" Genesis.Cry I will never forgive these guys for stabbing their old fans in the back after the departures of Gabriel and Hackett.Angry My God, didn't they make enough money in the 80's and 90's?Unhappy The buzz around the net is saying that Gabriel still may rejoin (probably Hackett then too) in a 2008 tour, but not for this planned 2007 tour. I'm guessing that albums sales have slacked in recent years, plus Phil just divorced his third wife. She must have made a killing!Thumbs Up Let's call it "The We Can Still Dance To Make More Money Tour."Big smile Absolutely pathetic! They will not see a dime of my money! And once again I will say, No Gabriel, No Hackett, No Way!!Angry   

Edited by Dennis - October 19 2006 at 13:35
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:59
Originally posted by Dennis Dennis wrote:

I will never forgive these guys for stabbing their old fans in the back after the departures of Gabriel and Hackett.    

In what way? 

The band changed and evolved.  If you didn't like the new stuff then that was your choice.  Not sure how they stabbed their fans in the back. 
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 11:18

I will never forgive these guys for stabbing their old fans in the back after the departures of Gabriel and Hackett.    

In what way? 

The band changed and evolved.  If you didn't like the new stuff then that was your choice.  Not sure how they stabbed their fans in the back.

IMHO the band went backwards and regressed from being a highly advanced and artistic musical and theatrical entity of the highest standards and quality to a simplistic "pop" orientated band, with a lowering of musical standards and lyric content. Anyone who is a serious progressive music lover knows that this is a fact, and cannot tolerate the band "turning" on us. And again as stated in previous posts I do know that many think that the "pop" music that the post Gabriel/Hackett band produced is a cut above most other "pop" music. But I'm not going to argue with anyone about that, nor reply furthur. My musical tastes demand more, not less of a progressive rock band that I love, sorry! And to me the post Gabriel/Hackett Genesis gave us so much less artistically and so much more financially to their pockets. Sure everyone wants to make money, but not at the sake of losing the artistic essence of a great musical entity. And the band were becoming huge anyway before Gabriel departed. They were so great that they could not have been denied.The move from prog to pop will always seem a cheap move to me. It's like Michaelangelo going from his oil paintings to writing with crayons. No one will ever convince me otherwise.  

Edited by Dennis - October 19 2006 at 11:27
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 12:17

In what way? 

IMHO the band went backwards and regressed from being a highly advanced and artistic musical and theatrical entity of the highest standards and quality to a simplistic "pop" orientated band, with a lowering of musical standards and lyric content. Anyone who is a serious progressive music lover knows that this is a fact, and cannot tolerate the band "turning" on us. And again as stated in previous posts I do know that many think that the "pop" music that the post Gabriel/Hackett band produced is a cut above most other "pop" music. But I'm not going to argue with anyone about that, nor reply furthur. My musical tastes demand more, not less of a progressive rock band that I love, sorry! And to me the post Gabriel/Hackett Genesis gave us so much less artistically and so much more financially to their pockets. Sure everyone wants to make money, but not at the sake of losing the artistic essence of a great musical entity. And the band were becoming huge anyway before Gabriel departed. They were so great that they could not have been denied.The move from prog to pop will always seem a cheap move to me. It's like Michaelangelo going from his oil paintings to writing with crayons. No one will ever convince me otherwise.  

I don't disagree that they moved in a simpler more pop orientated direction but I don't for one minute think that they had a band meeting in which they specifically decided to sh*t on all their old fans.  They are individual musicians free to pursue their own directions, we don't own them.  We can choose to like or dislike their music but we shouldn't hold it personally against them.  I also doubt whether they decided to go in their new direction purely for financial reasons; although their descision to tour again now may well be motivated by money.  It's a big gamble 'though because the cost of staging a big tour now, with all the new H&S regulations and insurance required, can bankrupt a band if the audience doesn't show.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 12:34
Heavyfreight wrote:

No Heavyfreight, evolving works from simple to complex, not backwards, starting with The Silent Subn and Ending with Supper's Ready is evolving but starting with The Musical Box and ending with Illegal Alien is not evolution. Darwin described it perfectly.

And yes Collins stabbed the old fans not with the change but with his atitudes, two phrases are remembered:

1.- One fan shouted in an Illegal Alien tour: Watcher of the Slies!!! and Collins replied "We don't play that crap anymore.
2.- In the infaous ABACRAP tour Collins insulted the public repeatedly because they asked old stuff.

That's not the way to treat the fans who supported them when nobody liked them, he was happy with his new fabulous fan base and never cared again for the real 2 decades fans.

He can play whatever he wants and I can believe it's crap as I do, the option is a two way highway.

Quote I also doubt whether they decided to go in their new direction purely for financial reasons; although their descision to tour again now may well be motivated by money. 

Yes they did, it's obvious, Collins started to hrow sh!t with electric fan to Prog, he thanked publicly (Genesis a History) Punk for destroying POP, he said that Yes bored him and that he never understood The Lamb, but now that the POP fans (Not very loyal) don't remember them he started to say that Yes was always his favorite band and that The Lamb was his favorite album ever.

Iván

Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 13:15
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Heavyfreight wrote:

No Heavyfreight, evolving works from simple to complex, not backwards, starting with The Silent Subn and Ending with Supper's Ready is evolving but starting with The Musical Box and ending with Illegal Alien is not evolution. Darwin described it perfectly.

And yes Collins stabbed the old fans not with the change but with his atitudes, two phrases are remembered:

1.- One fan shouted in an Illegal Alien tour: Watcher of the Slies!!! and Collins replied "We don't play that crap anymore.
2.- In the infaous ABACRAP tour Collins insulted the public repeatedly because they asked old stuff.

That's not the way to treat the fans who supported them when nobody liked them, he was happy with his new fabulous fan base and never cared again for the real 2 decades fans.

He can play whatever he wants and I can believe it's crap as I do, the option is a two way highway.

Quote I also doubt whether they decided to go in their new direction purely for financial reasons; although their descision to tour again now may well be motivated by money. 

Yes they did, it's obvious, Collins started to hrow sh!t with electric fan to Prog, he thanked publicly (Genesis a History) Punk for destroying POP, he said that Yes bored him and that he never understood The Lamb, but now that the POP fans (Not very loyal) don't remember them he started to say that Yes was always his favorite band and that The Lamb was his favorite album ever.

Iván

Thank you Ivan for your support on this matter. You are as spot on as I was with my feelings. It's like the old song "Be True To Your School."  Also be true to your band and the fans who supported you in the first place. It seems odd that Phil Collins played and sang so damned well in the Gabriel/Hackett era Genesis. I can't understand why he would poo-pooh the prog material?ConfusedYou know he really did like the prog stuff in his heart of hearts. I mean Brand X wasn't commercial by any means was it now?  I guess he just thought he was being slick and cool to get more support from his new and much less educated musical audience. Collins should have renamed the band Devo!LOL

Edited by Dennis - October 19 2006 at 13:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>