Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel
    Posted: October 28 2006 at 02:34
Hey what is it with Gabriel since 1986? He spends so much time talking and debating about releasing his next solo album ( almost 10 years between takes), that when it finally gets released it becomes a bit of an anticlimax. Don't get me wrong " us' -OK, ' Up' great but I must say I am getting so bored of his website overanalyzing everyhting to the nth degree. I/O will be good when it eventually gets released but the material will not be new. I find Roger Waters is in the same ' boat' metaphorically speaking!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 02:43
Well, I guess when you've gotten to that point in such an astounding career, you might tend to make too much of it. It's like building a mansion...every part is important.

Edited by Atavachron - October 28 2006 at 02:44
Vodkagunblast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 02:47
^Basically^

Peter could have quit making albums years ago and he'd still have gone down in history as one of the most important and influential pop artists ever. We should be thankful he's taking the time to make sure that each of his releases is of similar quality to what he has done in the past, as opposed to simply producing excess weight of material. He's taking the most artistic path he can about his career, as usual, and he should be applauded.
Legoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 03:53
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Hey what is it with Gabriel since 1986? He spends so much time talking and debating about releasing his next solo album ( almost 10 years between takes), that when it finally gets released it becomes a bit of an anticlimax. Don't get me wrong " us' -OK, ' Up' great but I must say I am getting so bored of his website overanalyzing everyhting to the nth degree. I/O will be good when it eventually gets released but the material will not be new. I find Roger Waters is in the same ' boat' metaphorically speaking!

I can see where you are coming from, really I do, but there comes a time in every artist's career where he has to call it quits.  Lets face it; no matter what Gabriel, or Waters, does the audience would either view it was a unconventional stray away from his norm or that the material is simple stuff that sounds too familiar.  I think you are critisizing artists from the 70s too heavily because the shelf life of a band rarely exceeds 20 years.  Cry
Baggiesfaninuk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 05:18
Best thing PG could do is to join the Genesis reunion.

In my opinion, that is.
My father was a beekeeper before me; his father was a beekeeper. I want to follow in their footsteps. And their footsteps were like this. (Runs screaming) "AAAAAAAH! I'm covered in beeeeees!" - Izzard
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 13:36
Originally posted by Legoman Legoman wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

I can see where you are coming from, really I do, but there comes a time in every artist's career where he has to call it quits.  Lets face it; no matter what Gabriel, or Waters, does the audience would either view it was a unconventional stray away from his norm or that the material is simple stuff that sounds too familiar.  I think you are critisizing artists from the 70s too heavily because the shelf life of a band rarely exceeds 20 years. 

Except for Prog!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply