Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 15:44

On 1 April 2005, the positions for the famous four were:

1. Sean Trane (1144)
  2. loserboy (735)
  3. Gatot (242)
  4. erik neuteboom (105)

At that time, a certain "Easy livin" was actually third with 471 reviews.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 15:49
GeekBut who will be the first to submit a well-written, comprehensible one?

Nah -- I'm just kidding! It's all about the numbers, really! Wink

(Ask any pollster....) LOL
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 16:36
Well, this list prooves that the best reviewers are from outside the USA and Canada......  like Belgium, Holland and Indonesia Wink

Nah -- I'm just kidding ... LOL !!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Well, this list prooves that the best reviewers are from outside the USA and Canada......  like Belgium, Holland and Indonesia Wink

Erik, even if it was meant more as a joke, my post was a bit mean-spirited, and I regret it. Sorry!Embarrassed

Each of you write fine reviews, and I know that for yourself, Hugues and Gatot, at least, English is not your first language. (Imagine if I tried to write in Dutch, French, or Indonesian!Confused)

I admire and envy the motivation (not to mention the huge collections!Wink) each of you displays with your very long reviews lists.Clap

Still, I feel that this poll, and the way in which reviewers are now ranked by "most prolific" (that is, numbers of reviews), risks sending the signal that PA values quantity over quality. Some who have significantly fewer reviews (which may yet be of above-average quality) may thus feel undervalued, and as if they have no hope of ever catching up with the 'big guys." Intended, no doubt, to motivate people to review, the "most prolific" list can do just the opposite.Stern Smile

That list can also send the wrong message -- especially, I fear, to a younger reviewer: "Just crank out the reviews. Don't worry about editing or writing quality. As with post counts, it is sheer numbers that will secure your "rank" and reputation around here."

Dickens wrote 14 books -- Steven King must have ten times that amount. Therefore, King must be a "better" writer, and McDonald's must make the best food in the world.

But you're a home-made, tasty burger (topped, perhaps, with Edam, for some authentic Dutch flavour), not a plastic, generic, mass-produced Big Mac, right? Big smile

Geek BTW, that's  PROVES!Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout - November 06 2006 at 18:12
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 02:24
                                Peter Rideout: LOL + Thumbs Up = Approve 

The first time I noticed the 'most prolific reviewers list' on Prog Archives, I was not happy because it reminded me of the MacDonalds 'best worker of the week list' with the only goal to increase the competion and to produce more in order to gain more money, read 'Das Kapital' by Karl Marx Wink 
But I don't feel competition with the others and I don't feel an urge to produce more because I want to spent time on my reviews to write decent reviews and I know the other reviewers have the same attitude. But perhaps Chief M@X of the Prog Archives clan has some comments on this issue .. Question
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 03:32
The poll is just a bit of fun. The guys included in it have already shown themselves to be highly prolific.

The chart on the home page is intended to encourage people to write reviews. Unfortunately, there's no tangible way of measuring quality, otherwise we'd surely have a chart on that basis too.

Remember that the chart is restricted to PRs and SCs, people who have already demonstrated that they take the music seriously, and who write good reviews. I believe the vast majority of our reviewers, and all of PRs/SCs submit the best reviews they can.

We are fortunate that the people included in this poll, who happen to be prolific reviewers, submit some of the highest quality reviews on the site. They dedicate a lot of their time to contributing to the site, and it is right that it is recognised.

The challenge is to come up with ways of recognising those who contribute in other ways (honorary collaborator status was a good one).

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 08:49
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Erik, even if it was meant more as a joke, my post was a bit mean-spirited, and I regret it. Sorry!Embarrassed

Each of you write fine reviews, and I know that for yourself, Hugues and Gatot, at least, English is not your first language. (Imagine if I tried to write in Dutch, French, or Indonesian!Confused)

I admire and envy the motivation (not to mention the huge collections!Wink) each of you displays with your very long reviews lists.Clap

Still, I feel that this poll, and the way in which reviewers are now ranked by "most prolific" (that is, numbers of reviews), risks sending the signal that PA values quantity over quality. Some who have significantly fewer reviews (which may yet be of above-average quality) may thus feel undervalued, and as if they have no hope of ever catching up with the 'big guys." Intended, no doubt, to motivate people to review, the "most prolific" list can do just the opposite.Stern Smile

That list can also send the wrong message -- especially, I fear, to a younger reviewer: "Just crank out the reviews. Don't worry about editing or writing quality. As with post counts, it is sheer numbers that will secure your "rank" and reputation around here."

Dickens wrote 14 books -- Steven King must have ten times that amount. Therefore, King must be a "better" writer, and McDonald's must make the best food in the world.

But you're a home-made, tasty burger (topped, perhaps, with Edam, for some authentic Dutch flavour), not a plastic, generic, mass-produced Big Mac, right? Big smile

Geek BTW, that's  PROVES!Wink

I agree completely.  I am a younger reviewer, and I spend more time editing my reviews than actually writing them...  Just ask Easy Livin...

There are currently about 10 reviews of mine that need fixing, and not many new ones are going up until I've done that...

Special note to Easy Livin:  Only three weeks left, look forward to December...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 10:38
Noted IPOFWink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 11:00
You know, I just do not have much to do during my weeknights in lonely dark (in wintertime) Northern Holland (the girlfriend stays in Brussels) and I have this huge library system at my disposal.

I do spend some money to rent albums I don't necessarily really want to hear that much, really, but it is for the cause (M@x, now that ProgArchives is a flourishing business... those who have expenses.......... Embarrassed).

Furthermore, I wrote a lot of those early reviews quickly when PA needed some kind of credibility, but I still cringe when I stumble on some ofd those, so my count of reviews should not be that high, really (actually it is even higher than on the front page for some are too short to be counted).
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 11:02
OK, Sean, good explanation, now let's delete half of your reviews in order to have a fair competition Wink

1. Sean Trane (1726) (863 + 1 bonus because of Fair Play Award = 864)
  2. erik neuteboom (853)
  3. loserboy (846)
  4. Gatot (829)

It's a deal, Sean ...?

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 07 2006 at 11:05
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 11:50
Aussie will win! Tongue
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 08:39

OK, Sean, good explanation, now let's delete half of your reviews in order to have a fair competition Wink

1. Sean Trane (1726) (863 + 1 bonus because of Fair Play Award = 864)
  2. erik neuteboom (853)
  3. loserboy (846)
  4. Gatot (829)

It's a deal, Sean ...?

Considering you do this unilateral cut in mine and I do not slap you silly, you might want to consider that the bonus fair-play be worth  at least 100 (1000?) points

Congrats on second place, thoughClap.

Time to mail James to tell him the news. >> he will post some 30 at once.LOL
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Gatot View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 09:21
Hua ha ha ha ha ha ha ... LOL !!

I have been so long not visiting this thread and I keep laughing reading all of your comments.
BTW, how can I win the competition as I have now been stucked with the wonderful DVD by Porcupine Tree "Arriving ..." which I just received from amazon last week? Hmmm ... actually I want to write many reviews but I'm totally nggeblak with this DVD. ...
Anyway I just written two reviews - finally - with MIke Oldfield "Crises" and Popol Vuh / ACe .... Just two reviews .. would not add-up much to win the competition ...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 10:46
Well, Gatot, today I enjoyed listening to the new 2-CD Revolution Road by Rocket Scientists and last night the 2-DVD Stage by IQ blew me away, so energetic and lots of great renditions of all their classics Clap
By the way, yesterday I made Ajam Pangang, what do you say in Indonesian: "Selamat makan"?
Gatot View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 21:23

Well, Gatot, today I enjoyed listening to the new 2-CD Revolution Road by Rocket Scientists and last night the 2-DVD Stage by IQ blew me away, so energetic and lots of great renditions of all their classics Clap
By the way, yesterday I made Ajam Pangang, what do you say in Indonesian: "Selamat makan"?

What? You like "tasty" Ayam Panggang? I think you might start reviewing in Bahasa Indonesia. "Selamat makan" is the phrase to let someone enjoy the food before eating. But if you want to say that the food is delicious, you might say "sedap!". (It also applies to music as well - especially with touchy melody).

BTW, I want to know how to order IQ Stage? I tried to find from amazon but no luck. I usually order from amazon because they are excellent. Let me know please ... Ordering direct from IQ? In poundsterling? Nah ... it's too expensive for me ....!!!

Salam,
Gatot

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 04:45
Thanks Gatot, I have sent you a PM about ordering Stage by IQ Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 05:08
Well, Hugues and Erik broke through the 900 barrier around the same time, and are neck and neck. Gatot has some catching up to do, but he is known for blitzing us with many fine reviews in a short period.

Looks like the target will be reached in a few months time.
  1. Sean Trane (1811) (=905½)
  2. erik neuteboom (905)
  3. Gatot (862)
  4. loserboy (846)
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 07:27
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Well, Hugues and Erik broke through the 900 barrier around the same time, and are neck and neck. Gatot has some catching up to do, but he is known for blitzing us with many fine reviews in a short period.

Looks like the target will be reached in a few months time.
  1. Sean Trane (1811) (=905½)
  2. erik neuteboom (905)
  3. Gatot (862)
  4. loserboy (846)

Hey, EL, you forgot to say that you broke the 800 barrier! Smile Maybe not enough to reach the 1000 ahead (unless we use the deletion button LOL) but anyway: CONGRATS, fellow!!! Clap
Guigo

~~~~~~
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 07:35
i vote for my fellow countryman

Edited by kazansky - January 23 2007 at 07:36
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 14:20
LOL, Guigo. I'm plodding along at my own pace.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>