Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes and Asia discuss 2007 tour
    Posted: October 29 2006 at 18:36
YES & ASIA: Classic Rock Revisited have posted the following newsitem:
MAJOR CONCERT TOUR ON TAP FOR 2007? YES & ASIA DISCUSS TOURING TOGETHER!

Inside sources tell Classic Rock Revisited that a major concert event is being planned as we type this story.

Due to the success of the 25th Anniversary tour with all four original members of Asia, a huge event is planned to unfold across the USA in 2007. Asia, comprised of Carl Palmer, Steve Howe, Geoff Downes and John Wetton, will take to the road opening for prog giants Yes. Howe, a member of both Asia and Yes, will play with both bands nightly.

An American band from the 80's is rumored to be offered the opening slot. No reports on who that band is yet.

If the plans come together then this could be THE concert event of the Summer of 2007. Stay tuned! As details unfold we will release them.    
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 23:12
Oh my... that sounds like a very exciting concert! If they come to Canada I'll have to go see them for sure.
one hand clap View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 23:26
I hope it's true!  I've never seen Yes, I just barely missed an opportunity to see their 35th anniversary tour.  Too bad Asia has to tag along though...  I love Yes, I love ELP, and I especially love King Crimson, but when it all comes together as Asia I want to kill myself
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 15:06
That would be quite an effort for Steve Howe, I would have thought. He's no spring chicken now!
aramg View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 16:08
Howe, himself, also announced that Yes would be touring in 07.

On the last show of his tour (@ prog in the park in rochester, ny, usa), he said that the wheels of a 2007 Yes tour were beginning to turn, but made no mention of the other members of asia tagging along.
Aram
Gravity Eyelids View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 18:08
I read about this too. I really don't think Jon will just go on another old timers tour though, so if this happenes I think we'll be seeing another YES CD first.
Into this wild Abyss the fiend
Stood on the brink of Hell and looked a while,
Pondering his Voyage.
The Green Tank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 20:33
I would travel far to see Yes live.

martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 03:22
[QUOTE  I love Yes, I love ELP, and I especially love King Crimson, but when it all comes together as Asia I want to kill myself
[/QUOTE] LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 13:06
How many times Yes could do tours in a row without recording a decent studio album??  It's bitter but I think the whole stuff is all about the money and nothing else.

And don't worry, Steve will manage to play in both bands. They will just shorten both gigs to fit it in time of single two hour gig - an hour of Asia and an hour of Yes. What can they play during it? Close To The Edge for the 75th time, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, And You And I and Roundabout - and that's all folks.
yet you still have time!
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 13:22
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

How many times Yes could do tours in a row without recording a decent studio album??  It's bitter but I think the whole stuff is all about the money and nothing else.

Have you heard Magnification or Keystudio? Some people consider the Ladder decent I think it could be considered mediocre. As for me, I think magnification is fantastic and was a breath of fresh air with the orchestra. I also think Keystudio is great.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
dave-the-rave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 14:10

They will just shorten both gigs to fit it in time of single two hour gig - an hour of Asia and an hour of Yes. What can they play during it? Close To The Edge for the 75th time, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, And You And I and Roundabout - and that's all folks.

I agree— who needs Asia? (I don't begrudge Steve having done it, but it's sort of prog-pop, prog watered down to easily digestible 3 minute bites.) I didn't go see Asia on this past tour, even though they played 10 minutes from where I live with an $8 ticket. (Yes, I did see them in 1982.)

I agree about the idiocy, at this point, of touring without an album. But Yes has screwed this up consistently since they went back on the road in 1997. They played 2 very short songs from 'Open Your Eyes' in 1997, when they could have played any of the new tracks from 'Keys to Ascension.' They record a very good album (IMHO) with an orchestra, 'Magnification,' and play only one song from it, EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE TOURING WITH AN ORCHESTRA.

Having seen Yes twelve times since 1997 (and seven times in the '70's), I've heard most of the catalog I need to hear (would still like to hear "Silent Wings of Freedom"). I'd love a new album— the show is half new album, intermission, half golden oldies. Everyone's happy.

Or, my ultimate fantasy: Tell the critics to shove it with The Topographic Oceans Tour, 2007. Perform all 4 pieces from 'Tales' in a small theatre setting, intermission, then another 45-60 minutes of classics. It's a die-hards only show, but I'd pay a high price to see it. Plus the added benefit of dissuading the casual beer-swilling yahoo from attending. HEAR ME, OH MIGHTY YES!
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 11:00
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Have you heard Magnification or Keystudio? Some people consider the Ladder decent I think it could be considered mediocre. As for me, I think magnification is fantastic and was a breath of fresh air with the orchestra. I also think Keystudio is great.

Of course I've listened to both albums and enjoyed every minute of them, even bought brilliant Symphonic Live DVD. However Magnification has been released five years ago, and it is quite a long time to record an album, especially with Rick Wakeman back on board. So I've checked the news regularly and all I got was one tour following each other, rereleases of classic albums, compilations and solo projects, like reunion of The Syn or return of classic Asia's lineup. So my bitter tone was due to five years of disappointment.

I think that being huge Yesfan I've earned my right to criticize them.
yet you still have time!
laztraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2006 at 07:11
Or, my ultimate fantasy: Tell the critics to shove it with The Topographic Oceans Tour, 2007. Perform all 4 pieces from 'Tales' in a small theatre setting, intermission, then another 45-60 minutes of classics. It's a die-hards only show, but I'd pay a high price to see it. Plus the added benefit of dissuading the casual beer-swilling yahoo from attending. HEAR ME, OH MIGHTY YES

This would be awesome!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply