Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGeddy Lee vs. Chris Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: More Skilled Bassist: Geddy Lee or Chris Squire?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [14.12%]
17 [20.00%]
26 [30.59%]
30 [35.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geddy Lee vs. Chris Squire
    Posted: November 03 2006 at 20:53
Okay, this is not who's your favorite poll, it is who is a technically more skilled player poll.  I ask this because I don't play bass or any stringed instrument, so I can't really form a valid opinion.  Please vote for the one you think is better, not your favorite.  For example, you could say: "I prefer Geddy Lee, but I think Chris Squire is better."  In this case you would vote for Chris Squire.  And make sure you vote in the "I don't play bass" part if you don't play bass.  In your posts, specify whether you play bass or not.

Leave Geddy's voice out of this please.

Edited by Sasquamo - November 04 2006 at 08:38
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 20:57

Both are extremely skilled. I have to admit that Im a bigger Yes fan than a Rush fan, but Lee's bass skills are really incredible. However, I think Squire tops him though. His work with Yes are amazing!

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Tales View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 20:57
Chris Squire and I don't play bass. In the liner notes of the YES box set, Geddy himself admits that Squire is the man!Clap
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:09
Geddy Lee's basslines seem a lot more complex and subtle than Chris Squire's. (The extremely loud bass on Roundabout really annoys me.  I admit it sounds impressive, but sometimes I think that it wouldn't be so impressive if it weren't so loud.  Also, did Squire record some multiple bass parts for the record, because I'm listening to a live version of the song, and it doesn't sound quite so complicated as it does in the recording.)  I do prefer Rush over Yes, but I don't think I'm too biased.  But of course, I don't play bass, so I may be totally wrong in my assessment of technique.
Tommy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:17
Geddy's bass lines are not technically difficult to play. In fact a Rush tribute I went to see said that their music is not difficult to recreate, athough it may sound difficult. Being a three piece means that Geddy's bass is very high in the mix which makes it sounds very prominent but the playing itself is not technically challenging. Squire's playing on the other hand....well that's a different kettle of fish altogether.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:21
As a bassist who has attempted to decypher many a Squire and Lee part, I must say that Squire is the more talented bassist. In my opinion, he is one of the top two bassists alive today (I can't decide if he or TLEV is better).

MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:24
I play bass and Chris is slightly more technical than Geddy. They are both amazing, but Geddy's basslines are very spontaneous and the same basic chord changes can be changed every time they are played. It doesn't necessarily take alot of tehcnical proficiency to jam around in a scale around chord changes, though in many cases Geddy does more in a song that Alex. This method works very very well still, and when one looks at a song as hard as Hemispheres, one has to appreciate Geddy's amazing work.

Chris Squire is more more melodic in that he keeps an idea and continues it throughout a section instead of creating a great bassline out of the roots and then jamming around that note and other root notes. Chris squire adds a whole new musical idea that fits with the main melody or chord changes, but is more lead-like and melodic. I think it takes more skill to play vastly different (than everyone else) things and still fit perfectly in line with the other instruments. Therefore, (dispite the fact that Geddy truly is my hero) I must go with the Fish.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:45
Technically? Uh...though one, cause Squire does some really complicated stuff, but Lee has stuff like YYZ which is...wow!
So I dont know, maybe Lee as he uses his fingers...technically speaking, thats "better" than using a pick

Yet Squire is my favorite between thouse two

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:53
Originally posted by Tommy Tommy wrote:

Geddy's bass lines are not technically difficult to play. In fact a Rush tribute I went to see said that their music is not difficult to recreate, athough it may sound difficult. Being a three piece means that Geddy's bass is very high in the mix which makes it sounds very prominent but the playing itself is not technically challenging. Squire's playing on the other hand....well that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Do you play bass?

Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 21:57
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

As a bassist who has attempted to decypher many a Squire and Lee part, I must say that Squire is the more talented bassist. In my opinion, he is one of the top two bassists alive today (I can't decide if he or TLEV is better).

By the way, ever heard of Victor Wooten?  I'm guessing it's pretty hard to leave him off of the "best list" (or best period for that matter) if you've ever heard him play.
blindtoad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 23:08
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

By the way, ever heard of Victor Wooten?  I'm guessing it's pretty hard to leave him off of the "best list" (or best period for that matter) if you've ever heard him play.

AgreedLOL

maybe Squire plays well the real assgination of a bass... give the groove... I think Lee sometimes forgot that... but both are great bass player

P.S.:Lee voice is (IMO) unlistenableOuchTongue
quelqu'un pour un jam?

blindtoad = Poor english...
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 23:42
Squire is excellent but and one of the best, most skilled bass players ever.  However, not only does Geddy play the bass extremely well, he'll sing and even play keyboards all during the same song.  
Bt-Tor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 01:08
Squire is a great bassist but he didn't do anything too impressive between 1981-1999, Lee on the other hand has been consistently great since 74' and also I find him to be a better songwriter, so I have to go with Geddy.
blazno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 05:18
I prefer Lee, but Squire is technically better.
And I play bass..(not that I'm any good Disapprove)
fairyliar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 05:55
I chose Mr Squire (I play bass) but almost the hardest poll ever made (the hardest would be between Squire/Levin/Lee).
Both are incredible but their style is completely different: more long term structures and slow for Squire and he uses picks and Lee is hell fast and more slapping and tapping.
There's no real winner but music and listeners!
The rest is a question of taste.
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 06:39
I don't play the bass, and I enjoy the playing of Chris more.
Both are phantastic musicians!Clap
Ne_Plus_Ultra View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 06:45
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

I don't play the bass, and I enjoy the playing of Chris more.
Both are phantastic musicians!Clap

SecondedSmile
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 08:40
I forgot to say this in my initial post, please keep Lee's singing out of your opinions.
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 08:58
Hmmm.  I can't see anything incredibly amazing in Chris Squire's playing.  Can someone give me individual tracks to listen closer to? (I only have The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge).  I'm really impressed with Lee's fast solos on YYZ and La Villa Strangiato.  I think that just maybe people are a bit biased because of the huge popularity of Yes on this site.  Maybe to test if everyone's biased I should do a "Who's more skilled: Chris Squire or Victor Wooten?"  In that case, there's obviously one right answer, despite you opinion.
blindtoad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 09:08
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Hmmm.  I can't see anything incredibly amazing in Chris Squire's playing.  Can someone give me individual tracks to listen closer to? (I only have The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge).  I'm really impressed with Lee's fast solos on YYZ and La Villa Strangiato.  I think that just maybe people are a bit biased because of the huge popularity of Yes on this site.  Maybe to test if everyone's biased I should do a "Who's more skilled: Chris Squire or Victor Wooten?"  In that case, there's obviously one right answer, despite you opinion.

If you ask to chose between wooten/squire it's an easy choice... Wooten from far! but they are 2 musician with 2 diferent playing... so no-funkfan would choose... or maybe those who didn't know wootenLOL 

P.S. What is incredibly amazing in the squire play is that he do something completely different from the other members but in Rush there is a slicy difference between Lifeson and Lee... and Squire sings too.... but (IMO) it's a taste opinion... "who you prefer?" is a subjective question!
quelqu'un pour un jam?

blindtoad = Poor english...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>