Topic ClosedSuggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions
    Posted: March 10 2004 at 14:47

I know this question probably gets asked alot, but here goes anyway:

I like: older Rush (i.e. Caress of Steel, Hemispheres etc.); the new Opeth discs (Deliverance, Damnation, Blackwater Park); on again off again with Pink Floyd

I don't like: Dream Theater, Yes, etc.. ( I know that's extremely general, but it's the only two that really stand out)

I was directed to Porcupine Tree and I like "Signify" so far, but I'm looking for more. Any suggestions? Most of my previous attempts at prog have been underwhelming, so I don't want to just go buy stuff and find out if it's any good. Thanks in advance.

The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 14:50
Originally posted by DNA1997 DNA1997 wrote:

I know this question probably gets asked alot, but here goes anyway:

I like: older Rush (i.e. Caress of Steel, Hemispheres etc.); the new Opeth discs (Deliverance, Damnation, Blackwater Park); on again off again with Pink Floyd

I don't like: Dream Theater, Yes, etc.. ( I know that's extremely general, but it's the only two that really stand out)

I was directed to Porcupine Tree and I like "Signify" so far, but I'm looking for more. Any suggestions? Most of my previous attempts at prog have been underwhelming, so I don't want to just go buy stuff and find out if it's any good. Thanks in advance.

I get the sense you tend to like stuff that leans towards psychedelic and metallic/hard rock.

Some suggestions:

Condition Red: I & II ( www.condition-red.com )

Lord Only ( www.lordonly.net )

Mastermind  ( http://mastermindband.com/ )

Edited by The Owl
People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 15:44

Your description is hard to get a handle on :

You like :  RUSH,Floyd, which are two very different styles (Opeth ? I don't know them)

and You dislike : DreamTheatre and YES  again different stlyes so its hard to point you in a specific direction. I think you have to be more precise in what you like and dislike about the bands you mentionned.

You can maybe try: TFK The Flower King , Lizard, Pallas...

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 16:34

Try some King Crimson.

Like Instrumental stuff?

Gordian Knot

Trey Gunn Band

DNA1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 08:31

Thanks for the suggestions.

Let me refine my description a little better. I like every Rush album ever made. But my favorites are C.O.S., 2112, Hemispheres. Very melodic, often acoustic (ref. The Fountain of Lamneth). I'd delete Floyd from the list because I like Floyd because they are Floyd. I don't know if I can use them as a band to make recommendations from. And Opeth, who started as more Swedish Death Metal, but have now progressed to a more acoustic sound on some albums. On other albums they split time between the acoustic style and a more death metal style. ( If you've never heard these guys, do yourself a favor and pick up Damnation.)

As for dislikes, maybe I can qualify those a little better. I don't like Dream Theater mainly because I can't stand the singer's voice. Also, I'm not crazy about the general degree of "w**kery" in their songwriting. Instead of being subtle in their playing, they tend to be over the top. (Not an attack, just an opinion). And I'm not crazy about the keyboards. I know that contradicts with my like for Rush, but I don't think the two styles are the same. I do like certain songs by DT (I think it's Peruvian Skies), but I generally don't care for them. As for Yes, it's strictly the singer. I do like "Roundabout" by the way, but that's about it. The guitar player (Steve Howe right?) and Bassist are both incredible. I'll give them technical merit, but I don't enjoy their songs. I hope that clears it up a bit.

As for King Crimson.. I'm not sure. I bought "Thrak" a while back, and I was not impressed. I was really looking forward to getting into these guys because I like them all individually and wanted to see what they could do, but it just didn't do it for me. Any other album ???

And to answer The Owl, yes I would say that I lean towards those styles. Even towards the metal end of the spectrum (although I really enjoy the more laid back acoustic stuff). Some other bands I enjoy are: Iron Maiden, Nevermore, old Queensryche, Grateful Dead (and their many side projects), Adrian Legg. That's not a complete list, just maybe enough to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I know most of those bands are not considered prog, so I did not include them earlier.

Other bands I have tried: Symphony X (so-so) Porcupine Tree (definitely interesting from what I've heard), and various other samplers mainly from labels like Century Media, most of which are metal bands with an occasional prog band in the mix. No one really stood out on those.

I hope that's enough. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to point me in the right direction. And a final question: Where is a good place to buy these albums? Thanks

dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 08:54
dna1997:For philosophical reasons i have a great deal of trouble with death metal ,it is still a little difficult to pin down what you are looking for,have you tried Eloy?judging by your liking for Rush() your taste seems to include the prog,metal end of the spectrum(COOL)how about the grand old masters HAWKWIND!!! have a looked at their entry on the prog site. By the way i do not like Jon Andersons voice from YES(he sings like a girl!!)but i have looked beyond that and found much to like about YES,i think you will find much to like in DREAM THEATRE if you give the singers voice a chance !(exscuse me i hear my beer calling me!!!...DUUUUUUUDe....DUUUUUDE..drink meeeee),Happy hunting
DNA1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 09:50

Thanks dude!

I'm not really into death metal. I can't stand the "cookie monster" vocals. And I don't usually agree with the lyrics. So I'm with you on that point. But there are some I do like. Don't let the death metal references fool you, I like alot of stuff. Including blue grass, jazz, classical.....

I have looked at the reviews/pages of just about every band on the site. I haven't downloaded many samples because I'm still stuck on dial up. I'm still not sold on D.T. though.

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 09:57

...I like alot of stuff. Including blue grass, jazz, classical.....

O.k. then, in reference to your comment that you also like Jazz, try Mahavishnu Orchestra ... they play Jazzrock/Fusion but VERY fast, it's awesome, check out their first album "the inner mounting flame"
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 10:11
DNA997: Im with ya on the dial up blues(i have 56k myself) its a pi%%er for downloads!!!
DNA1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 10:34

One of the reasons I didn't include jazz as a like to start with is because I'm very familiar with the jazz/fusion scene. I already own a lot by Mahavishnu (including alot of McLaughlin's solo stuff), Weather Report w/Jaco, Return to Forever, Maynard Ferguson (the later stuff), and not to mention 30 or so Miles Davis albums, pre Bitches' Brew and post. I say all this because I was kinda looking for more of the metallic/hard rock even space-rock side of the genre. Sorry I didn't specify that before.

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 10:35

DNA1997,

I agree with you on DT's singer and the whole "cookie Monster" screamers out there.

Like Rush? Check out Singularity's second disc, Between Sunlight and Shadow.

Floyd like, RPWL. German band that used to be a Floyd cover band and maintain a strong influence.

If you found Porcupine Tree interesting, check out Pineapple thief. Much like Porc Tree, but with Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins singing.   There's also Steve Wilson's new band Blackfield and No-Man. I'm also into David Sylvian, mellow and melodic, great musicians, many from Porc Tree. Rain Tree Crow, Japan reunited.

Jazz: I'm a big Allan Holdsworth fan. Check out Secrets, it's my favorite AH disc.

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 11:33

I was kinda looking for more of the metallic/hard rock even space-rock side of the genre

O.k. NOW we have something to work on

Space rock ...  I can recommend Gong, they were playing a mix of Space Rock and Canterbury with very crazy lyrics and sounds Try "You" or "angels egg"

and if you like more modern Space Rock stuff, I can realy recommend the Ozric Tentacles...

I don't know if you like inatrumental musik but for the "metallic" side of Prog I can really recommend following Bands, leaving out Dream Theater (How can anybody DON'T like them?):

-Liquid Tension Experiment: VERY fast Guitar Solos by Petrucci and of course 3 Dream Theater members play there  but it's instrumental so no JLB Voice

-Jordan Rudess: The Dream Theater keyboarder with his solo-Album "Feeding the wheel", it's not really a solo album because you have lots of well known prog artists playing on this album...

-Rudess Morgenstein Projekt...just heard about it and some Songs I liked them...

- Pain of Salvation: swedish Prog metal band, i like them very much...album "entropia"

-Vanden Plas: german Prog Metal Band...but in this case I don't like the singer very much...

-Explorers Club: "All Star Projekt" if you want...playing Prog Metal, but be carefull, you can come across James La Brie of Dream Theater here sometimes

-Bozzio Levin Stevens: Not really Metal but I love it...

-Mastermind: But only the album "Excelsior!" it's instrumental and very good, you can compare them to Liquid Tenison (but only this album, the Rest sounds a bit like Nightwish )

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
DNA1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2004 at 10:00
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll try to pick some of them up.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2004 at 13:42
Originally posted by diddy diddy wrote:

...I like alot of stuff. Including blue grass, jazz, classical.....

O.k. then, in reference to your comment that you also like Jazz, try Mahavishnu Orchestra ... they play Jazzrock/Fusion but VERY fast, it's awesome, check out their first album "the inner mounting flame"
I agree. The Inner Mounting Flame is beyond definition. Although not the best Mahavishnu Orchestra record check out Visions of the Emmerald Beyond. Some blistering guitar work to be heard here as well.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
 Post Reply Post Reply