Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarless and Bible Black open discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starless and Bible Black open discussion
    Posted: November 10 2006 at 20:42
    I got SABB (King Crimson) a month or two ago from the library and still don't know what to think. I love it, but I don't understand it at all.

So, I want to know what everyone else thinks. If you have the album, please tell me what you think of it, what your favorite tracks/moments are, etc.

Here are some of my ideas:

• The band is improvising A LOT. It surprised me how spontaneous the album is.
  • I read on Wikipedia that most of the album was mixed from live shows. Is this true? ("King Crimson" entry, search for the phrase "starless and bible black" on the page)
  • The band shows a lot of Classical influence in some of these songs (Bartok, mostly). In Lament, Wetton plays notes in the whole tone scale, a common aspect of Bartok's music.
  • John Wetton is playing Funk bass! In songs like We'll Let You Know, he actually does a bunch of slaps and pops that I've never heard KC do ever.
  • I wonder how this compares with LTIA or Red. It seems crazily improvised, but very loud. It doesn't seem like it's in the middle though. It sounds like a crazier version of LTIA (the instrumentals, mostly), not a transition to Red.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 21:16
I personally think its a peak for the band, very bold in terms of risk taking and experimentation, I think it requires a lot of listens to grow on you, but I think it really captures the spirit of this period of King Crimson, and in the end after it had grown on me I actually prefer it to Larks Toungue, I think this album is a little misunderstood, and requires an more patient and open mind rather than a more rash decision to rrate it, I think it is far more experimental and progressive than subsequent releases that came out that I've heard by them.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - November 10 2006 at 21:52

Pulse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 21:37
Originally posted by lucky_man123 lucky_man123 wrote:

• I read on Wikipedia that most of the album was mixed from live shows. Is this true? ("King Crimson" entry, search for the phrase "starless and bible black" on the page)

Yes that is true. I believe the original live versions of Trio and Starless and Bible Black are on Night Watch.

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 21:52
I think it's a fantastic album, and a testament to the power of KC's onstage improv.  I have always been a fan of Wetton with KC, both his vocals and his bass, and his best moment is Starless and Bible Black.  The Wetton-era KC is my favorite lineup, and this is their strongest moment.  A truly classic record.

Mr Krinkle View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 21:54

Probably my favorite Crimson album (no wonder if you look at my avatar!). Also the first one that I listened from this period, and I still like it from start to finish.

Yes, almost 70% of the material comes from live recorded performances. "We'll let you Know"(Crimsofunk!), "Trio" (a really beautiful one), "The Mincer" and "Starless and Bible Black" came from pure improvisation.
Fracture it's a superb composition from Fripp. It's nice to hear the precission and raw energy displayed by the band in this track, as well as the pure enjoyement in its playing (you can hear someone, maybe Wetton, screaming Woow!! in the middle of the song). Also, parts of The Night Watch are live.
Lament and The Great Deceiver are totally recorded in the studio (at least I think so).

Another thing that I like fom this album is the engineering, I prefer its sound rather than LTIA or Red

"...I like the way the music goes...there's a few good guys who can play it right..."
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 22:14
The Night Watch and Trio is one of the most beautiful and tear jerking moments on the album. Frakture is probably the best song btw.

oh and if you want more of the funk from this era of the band, check out their live material from that era. preferably The Great Deciever
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 22:32
Roughly a week ago, someone posted a Starless and Bible Black thread, dicussing the highs and lows of this mediocre album. 

If you search you can read more responses about this album, however, I decided to cut and paste my response from the other thread becasue I belive me comments are as relevent here as they were in the other thread

My Comments: 

"Great Deceiver"  - Overrated

"Trio" - sounds like a sound check gone awry

and the the title track is pretentious

The only redeeming aspect of Starless and Bible Black is "Fracture."  This is coming from someone who has listened to it six times.  I know many of you have listened to it more than that, but still six times and no cigar?

Did I miss something, or is it just me?

Ironically, Wetton era is my favorite era of KC, musically.  Sinfield-era lyrically for obvious reasons. 
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 23:43
You missed something.  WTF.
Asphalt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 03:16
I'll have to agree: Fracture is the high-point of the album for me too. Each time the track kicks in I check to see if the volume is at maximum power. Big smile

However, I disagree on the album as being mediocre. I think it's upthere with LTIA and Red, just a little bit les focused. But sometimes, that's just what makes it so beautiful.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 04:00
This album contains one of the best KC tracks ever - "THE NIGHT WATCH"!!! Another highlight is definetely "Fracture"

hm...and these two tracks are probably the most listened by me I really dislike "Great Deciever" - I see the point,but I just don't like it."Lament" is also a matter of mood - I don't know whether I like or dislike it."Trio" is nice but I see no direction in its progression.As for other tracks - there were better improvisations from that era,just to mention
"The Golden Walnut"
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 05:19
Its a very uneven album IMO, there are some really good tracks and theirs some pretty dull stuff going on their. It was an interesting decision to make an album that half of it is live improvs, could have been much better though.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 05:40
"Starless..." is a great album, but "Larks..." and "Red" are even greater IMHO.
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 07:30
"Trio" and "Fracture" are amazing (The Night Watch versions).
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
flaxton View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 09:56
i think out of all the wetton albums starless is the worst, i find it rather disjointed. still a lot better than a lot of other music though.
flaxton
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 12:06
I cannot stand King Crimson's improvisations.  I think improvisation should be limited to solos.  Improvising a whole song just sounds so unstructured and boring to me.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 14:11
I wrote here a year ago that it took me years to get into this album (well, heared, did'nt understand, left aside and then after many years heared it again and fell in love) when I allready had LTIA and Red and loved both of them.
I think there are many different styles in this album :
Ballads - The night watch and Lament, the former is excellent, the second just very nice.
Jazzy - Trio and We'll let you know that both are very nice IMO
Metal - The great deceiver which I like very much
Improvisation - Starless and bible black which is IMO the harder to understand here.
Epics - Fracture and The mincer. While the first is highly appreciated (and for good reasons) the second is mostly neglected and I think it's another great track.
So, I would give this album 5 stars but Red and LTIA I like just a tiny bit better.
omri
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 14:21
It's sure a weird album, but very rewarding once you really get it. KC's improv stuff is crazy. 
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 17:54

First of all I want to say that SABB, is a great album but deffinitly the weakest of the trilogy...cause the other two are masterpieces

• The band is improvising A LOT. It surprised me how spontaneous the album is. It is spontaneos in some aspects, msotly in the instrumental improv...but the resto of the songs, specially Fracture and the Night watch are extremly worked, nothing happens just because in this two! Fripp really sat down and wrote here jejeje
  • I read on Wikipedia that most of the album was mixed from live shows. Is this true? ("King Crimson" entry, search for the phrase "starless and bible black" on the page) This is true, the improvs are from an Amsterdam show made in 1974 before the realse of the album while touring the LTIA album. This shows would be released as a live album in 1997, called the Night watch and ist among the band best live outputs (if not the best)
  • The band shows a lot of Classical influence in some of these songs (Bartok, mostly). In Lament, Wetton plays notes in the whole tone scale, a common aspect of Bartok's music. Probably true, Fripp is quite the Bartok fan, and its not only in this album where you can hear his influences, even ITCOTCK some have spottet some Bartok infleunces here and there
  • John Wetton is playing Funk bass! In songs like We'll Let You Know, he actually does a bunch of slaps and pops that I've never heard KC do ever. Wetton was great on record, but he truly shines live! Maybe the msot powerful bass player ever! At least in Crimson he was!
  • I wonder how this compares with LTIA or Red. It seems crazily improvised, but very loud. It doesn't seem like it's in the middle though. It sounds like a crazier version of LTIA (the instrumentals, mostly), not a transition to Red. I would not say its a trnsition, the three albums are very different one from the others, each has his own identety. I think in SABB the band wanted to achive some sort of balanced album, with shorter studio tracks and longer live instrumentals...maybe they thought this would be the best way to define Crimson!

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

I cannot stand King Crimson's improvisations.  I think improvisation should be limited to solos.  Improvising a whole song just sounds so unstructured and boring to me.

Ahhh my friend...some day youll get it, and say...what the f**k did I say that time about improvs?Wink
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 22:11
I don't know, all the improvised songs sound like random atmospheric noodling to me.  Songs need some sort of pre-thought structure for improvisation to work out.  Listen to jazz to look at how great improvisation sounds when there is some kind of structure to begin with.  KC improvisations don't have structure making them unmemorable and boring to me.

Edited by Sasquamo - November 11 2006 at 22:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>