Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finch
    Posted: November 11 2006 at 00:54
OK, so here I am on a Friday evening at home. Hey, I'm not going out cuz I'm saving it up for tomorrow, when Prog Night is happening at the local club (Zero Hour and more I think...). Anyway, I've had a couple Glenlivets and I'm listening to Finch's 1975 record Glory Of The Inner Force. Now, I've listened to this a few times before...but this time I think it's really sticking.

So who's with me? Is this album great or what? Anyway, as it stands now, I'm highly recommending this one as it seems to me to be a tour de force of instrumental prog. The songs are wonderful, and the instrumental ability of the band is exceptional.

Comments?

Jason_Clement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 00:55
Well. Zero Hour rocks. Don't forget to tell them they kick.
Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 01:00
Originally posted by Jason_Clement Jason_Clement wrote:

Well. Zero Hour rocks. Don't forget to tell them they kick.

Yeah I've heard as much...never heard them before but I'm always eager to hear live prog music.

Not to brag, but i caught the Flower Kings a few weeks ago (for those of you that like 'em) and I took my roommates girlfriend. She is now an official fan. Progsters take heart, we'll win them over one at a time...

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 05:08
Originally posted by Nipsey88 Nipsey88 wrote:

OK, so here I am on a Friday evening at home. Hey, I'm not going out cuz I'm saving it up for tomorrow, when Prog Night is happening at the local club (Zero Hour and more I think...). Anyway, I've had a couple Glenlivets and I'm listening to Finch's 1975 record Glory Of The Inner Force. Now, I've listened to this a few times before...but this time I think it's really sticking.

So who's with me? Is this album great or what? Anyway, as it stands now, I'm highly recommending this one as it seems to me to be a tour de force of instrumental prog. The songs are wonderful, and the instrumental ability of the band is exceptional.

Comments?

Just listened to it yesterday. Good album, very good musicianship. Their tracks remind sometimes of older 60's guitar driven instruemntal (Shadows) and at other times I am impressed at their technicality, but it's always with emotion and not senseless playing. Do you have the cd with the 2 bonus tracks? You can also try their other release: Beyond Expression
Galleons of Passion is only if you are some sort of collectionist, otherwise no point in getting it, in my opinion.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 06:47
Glory Of The Inner Force is a good album but it has obvious Yes echoes, I prefer the more original Beyond Expression.  In those days Jan Akkerman said in a music magazine that he was impressed by Joop Van Nimweegen his guitarplay! And check out the 2-CD Stage 76 (see my review on this site), incredible live performances, lots of improvisations and great, often extended soli on guitar and keyboards Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply