Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGolem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golem
    Posted: November 13 2006 at 06:14
May I suggest a Krautrock band going by the name of Golem?

They are a four-piece band (I believe...) playing some excellent psych-prog, with extended jams and very few vocals. The only band that I can think to compare them to at the moment is Magma, which is probably a poor comparisson to make.

They are not yet in ProgArchives, and I believe they should be, what with producting some damn cool 'Krautrock', a form of Progressive Rock which this site deals with. Please get them added guys!

As far as I am aware they have only released the one album, titled 'Orion Awakes'.

Tracklist:
01: Orion Awakes (7:26)
02: Stellar Launch (7:36)
03: Godhead Dance (6:37)
04: Jupiter and Beyond (14:28)
05: The Returning (7:44)

Here's a review from www.thesoundprojector.com :

"A powerful blast of more conventional cosmic rock, although less beguiling than the two above, it works at loud volume. This features Willi Berghoff on guitar and Manfred Hof on the Hammond and Mellotron, backed up by a wah-wah bass from Mungo that beats John Wetton six ways from Sunday. Only the drummer lets them down - 'Stellar Launch' is prevented from soaring into space by his leaden, unimaginative bass drum. Skip to 'Jupiter and Beyond' for a truly unashamed science-fiction spacerocket romp, built from a sharp organ figure doubled by by the guitar line and enahnced by the sparing use of the phaser. Here, and on the title track, the band summon up that sense of monumental scale, as of some lumbering dinosaur, as only unreconstructed hippies can. 'Godhead Dance' is as dismal an attempt at funkiness as you could imagine, with the possible exception of Keith Emerson's Hammond riffs. Sound-wise at least, with the wah-wah rhythm guitar, bongoes and mega-heavy bass as its anchor, this track almost predicts the rise of George Clinton and P-Funk - but Golem lack the soul, finally"
(This review is for the album "Orion Awakes")
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 11:35

Golem are on the "artists to add" list Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 21:21
They are? Don't I feel foolish. In the future I shall make a point of looking there before posting. Embarrassed
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 22:32
^^^
It's ok, nothing serious, my friend.

I believe this is the only mention of them:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16270&KW=golem&PID=1796413#1796413

Thanks for proposing and giving info on the band.
By the way, I agree, they should be added.

Post Reply Post Reply