Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The trials and tribulations of selling prog rock..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe trials and tribulations of selling prog rock..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The trials and tribulations of selling prog rock..
    Posted: November 14 2006 at 15:24
From,

Hi there,

Not a day goes by when I'm not learning something new.  Yesterday it was Google's Adwords.  So many places recommend trying out Google's advertising tools that I braved the job of finding out.  Having navigated AdGroups, I then found that I could not do what I wanted to do unless I migrated from a 'Starter' to a 'Standard' account.

So now, I can not only have Ads appear on Google searches, but also on chosen sites.  And I can have 'campaigns' for each different 'product', or even several campaigns for the same product!  What fun?  We'll see.  If only I had a few thousand I would have a ball.  Trouble is that every penny counts at this stage, and I'm still only marginally more confident of being able to pay January's tax bill.  I've had to limit Google to just GBP 1.50 a day.  At current rates, that gives me about 1,000 clicks a month.  I'll keep you posted - if this stuff works we'll be recording the second album before you can say 'hang on a jiffy.....'  The only question that lingers is 'why can't I pay by PayPal?'  Then I remember that Google probably got rich because it didn't pay all those PayPal fees!

As for the CDs, they are beginning to find some interesting homes.  Chatting to people on a prog rock forum has opened doors I did not expect.  Samples are on their way to France and Germany to see whether we can do there what we are already doing in Japan.  By far the most interesting conversation, however, has been with Paul Stump on the trials and tribulations of prog (what is it, after all?) and also the cultural antagonism towards it that exists almost exclusively in the UK.

Do I care?  Well, yes, I do actually.  It's great to be selling in the US and Japan but I'd also like people in the UK to be choosing their own music rather than have it chosen for them by indifferent shop keepers who think people selling music to them must have some sort of underhand agenda!  When I rang around the UK shops last week it was a bit like pulling teeth.  For sure, I realise they must get sales calls from people all the time, but this is good news for them, surely?  Having taken the trouble to call and find exactly who I should send information to, I then sent two e-mails (7 days apart) followed by a letter with a sample CD and order form.  After 20 conversations, I was getting seriously depressed.  Only 3 of the first 20 shops could even remember who we were. 

"I got your name from your colleague," I say.

Laughter.

"Of course you did!" comes the answer, with a knowing sigh that he'll "get" his colleague once the phone conversation finishes for daring to give his name to a music company director!

"Are you actually a prog rock shop?"  I'm about to ask.

"Sorry, doesn't do it for me," comes the reply before I can get the question out.

"We're selling lots of CDs in other countries," I respond.

"Not much call for that round here," I'm afraid.

Something is not right here.  These are shops that were listed in a special 'prog rock' edition of Classic Rock.  Are these shops doing so well that they can afford to ignore new (significant) prog rock re-releases?  No, some are closing down bemoaning the drop in their CD sales.  Some do not have a web-site.  Some do not even have an e-mail address!  Besides, by joining www.progarchives.com I can see for myself that teenagers are seriously into this stuff.  Their problem is that they have to go on-line to find it because the shops are not stocking it. 

Today, someone aged 18 explained - to my amusement - that they typed "wierd music" into Google and got a list of prog rock sites.  They dabbled (okay "surfed"), then found they actually liked the music (this is Pink Floyd we are talking about - really 'wierd', eh?).  But the thing is that there are lots of young people searching for something better.  Something different.  Something musical.  They're finding it, of course, but not in their local shops.  They're finding it on-line, at iTunes, at CD Baby.....

"But Marquee Magazine have called us 'the best prog rock act since England in 1977'", I'm rehearsing in my head.

"Sorry, not much call for your music.  Not what our customers want," is the buyers' response before I can deliver my punch line.

"Have you listened to the CD?" comes out instead.

"Errrrrr".

Says it all, doesn't it?  Wake up, Britain!

Catch y'all soon
Rory the Ridley-Duff
(Forever Protos)

P.S.  Hi, Steve!  Hope you had a stimulating week....

Edited by protos - November 14 2006 at 15:40
"Remember Protos as the best progressive rock act since England (Garden Shed, 1977)" (Marquee Magazine, November 1991)
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 15:36
Just more proof that the music business in general is a dog eat dog business.  And trying to sell prog is more like a dog eat bone business.  (Prog being the bone, of courseWink)
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 15:41
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Just more proof that the music business in general is a dog eat dog business.  And trying to sell prog is more like a dog eat bone business.  (Prog being the bone, of courseWink)

Chewed up and spat out.....Cry

We'll get there in the end Ouch...Thumbs Up

Rory

Edited by protos - November 14 2006 at 15:42
"Remember Protos as the best progressive rock act since England (Garden Shed, 1977)" (Marquee Magazine, November 1991)
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 15:20
Welcome to the music world in 2006. Confused
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 20:08
Originally posted by Bryan Bryan wrote:

Indeed...
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 20:21
Rory, I'm in the UK and I'm more than willing to give Protos a listen.  Let me know where I can get a copy and I will.

If I like it enjoy it, I'll try and plug it as much as possible.  Even if I don't like it, I'll still plug it, any new prog band needs promoting.

And please, never lose your integrity and make poppy stuff to please an audience.
protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:07
Originally posted by Bryan Bryan wrote:

LOL  Baptism by fire!
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:12
Originally posted by protos protos wrote:

Today, someone aged 18 explained - to my amusement - that they typed "wierd music" into Google and got a list of prog rock sites.  They dabbled (okay "surfed"), then found they actually liked the music (this is Pink Floyd we are talking about - really 'wierd', eh?).  But the thing is that there are lots of young people searching for something better.  Something different.  Something musical.  They're finding it, of course, but not in their local shops.  They're finding it on-line, at iTunes, at CD Baby.....

This the phrase that interests me the most, as I am quite familiar with it. I intially found Tull pretty strange, and the concept is still kinda funny to me (hard rock band w/flute). But now, now that I've heard it enough, and lots of other stuff, Tull is nearly normal to my ears...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:21
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Rory, I'm in the UK and I'm more than willing to give Protos a listen.  Let me know where I can get a copy and I will.

If I like it enjoy it, I'll try and plug it as much as possible.  Even if I don't like it, I'll still plug it, any new prog band needs promoting.

And please, never lose your integrity and make poppy stuff to please an audience.

Thank you.  I write music to please my own senses (and hope they please others too). 
These are the on-line outlets we deal with most - it Japan it is finding its way into many stores (impossible to list them all!):

In the UK/EU:

www.newhorizonsmusic.co.uk/makeanorder.htm (for all albums in the catalogue)

or

www.protosmusic.net (just for the Protos albums)

or

www.roryridleyduff.com (for the solo material).

If you have friends in the US, they are all available from CD Baby - these links have music samples and reviews:

www.cdbaby.com/cd/protos1 (One Day a New Horizon) - 1980s Prog Rock
www.cdbaby.com/cd/roryridleyduff1 (Passing Decades) - Progressive Jazz/Rock
www.cdbaby.com/cd/roryridleyduff2 (A Question of Expression) - Classical
www.cdbaby.com/cd/TBC - not available yet (Into the Mouth of the Tiger: Protos Live) - Recordings from gigs in the 1980s - available 8th Jan 2007

If One Day a New Horizon is out of stock, try:

www.synphonic.8m.com (he has stocks, even if not displayed yet in the on-line store).

If you have friends in the Far East/Japan, recommend they try:

www.marquee.co.jp (click 'World Disque')

The album One Day a New Horizon has been generating most interest (it was a rare LP that found fame in Japan in the early 1990s).  We believe Passing Decades (just released) may find favour with prog rock fans although the Protos Live album (January 2007) may give it a run for its money once available.

All the best
Rory

protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:23
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

This the phrase that interests me the most, as I am quite familiar with it. I intially found Tull pretty strange, and the concept is still kinda funny to me (hard rock band w/flute). But now, now that I've heard it enough, and lots of other stuff, Tull is nearly normal to my ears...

Yes, I used to have Aqualung and Songs from the Wood (got that again on CD).  I also liked Thick as Brick.  The live album was a bit disappointing, I felt, but great band and fantastic musicianship on some tracks.

All the best
Rory

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 00:42
Thanks Rory, I'll try and obtain something by Protos soon.  Keep up the good work.
protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 00:47

Thanks Rory, I'll try and obtain something by Protos soon.  Keep up the good work.

Cheers Clap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 01:08
Not a problem.  You're up early/late?  Where abouts are you resident in the UK?
protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 01:45

Yes - I'm up late/early.  In Sheffield.  I had to stay up late Sunday (to take a friend to the bus station for 1.15 in the morning), then crashed out around 8pm on Monday night.  Woke up about 3.30 and could not get to sleep again!  So I thought I'd come on here and chat to people.

Also pack up more CDs ready to ship to the US.

Where are you?

Rory

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 13:53
I'm down south in Swindon.  I know how that feels, getting up at silly times.  When I had my car, I often had to pick friends up at 4 a.m. and I also used to get emergency calls from friends of a friend, saying they're too drunk to walk and can I give them a lift.  Hmmm, it's nice not having a car, but it's also very annoying too!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 14:11

Yes - I'm up late/early.  In Sheffield.  I had to stay up late Sunday (to take a friend to the bus station for 1.15 in the morning), then crashed out around 8pm on Monday night.  Woke up about 3.30 and could not get to sleep again!  So I thought I'd come on here and chat to people.

Also pack up more CDs ready to ship to the US.

Where are you?

Rory

I have a friend that likes prog music at Sheffield Uni, I'll be sure to mention Protos to him.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 16:10

[/QUOTE]
I have a friend that likes prog music at Sheffield Uni, I'll be sure to mention Protos to him.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I teach at the 'other' Sheffield University (Hallam) when I'm not working on New Horizons future.....

All the best
Rory

protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 16:11

I'm down south in Swindon.  I know how that feels, getting up at silly times.  When I had my car, I often had to pick friends up at 4 a.m. and I also used to get emergency calls from friends of a friend, saying they're too drunk to walk and can I give them a lift.  Hmmm, it's nice not having a car, but it's also very annoying too!

My sister used to live there - I visited a couple of times.  I grew up on the south coast (Chichester).  I remember not having a car - had its advantages but where I live we'd lost without it.  When you have kids, it is more complicated!

Best wishes
Rory

OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 16:13
a few douses in RIO and Zeuhl and most every other prog will seem normal
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Howe Protege View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by OpethGuitarist OpethGuitarist wrote:

a few douses in RIO and Zeuhl and most every other prog will seem normal

Amen to that esp. The Residents' quite disturbing music
My favorite pasty faced British pal.
 Post Reply Post Reply