Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
protos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Protos Album Announced
    Posted: November 18 2006 at 12:46
Hi everyone,

Quick announcement to say that New Horizons Music Ltd have filed their intention to release another album by Protos on 8th January 2007.   Into the Mouth of the Tiger contains nearly 70 minutes of live recordings from gigs between 1982-84.

Nobuhisa Nakanishi (Marquee spokesperson, and distributor of Protos albums throughout Japan) says of a pre-release copy:
The sound quality is better than I expected.  Not an audiofile recording by any stretch, but very listenable. Another positive side is that it captures the band in more energetic form than the studio recordings.

Iain Carnegie, Director of Music at Reeds (Cobham, England) was the drummer on some of the recordings.  When asked what about the possibility of a releasing the material, he commented:

It's exactly what I was expecting both in terms of the music and the sound quality - ultimately I think it's a great addition to the Protos arsenal of recordings and it captures the live experience very well indeed.  There is a very warm sound to the first Regis recordings...I think you are right to include them. Ultimately, the sound quality (which is not too bad at all) suggests to me that it would not be out of place to call this recording 'Into the Mouth of the Tiger - The Official Bootleg'.  That is the feel of it.  All fans of the group will be really interested to hear it, I am sure.  Yes, there are a few duff notes (sic), dodgy tuning, drummer speeding up (!!!) - but overall I think it's great and this doesn't detract in any way from what it is - a historical document that captures the extraordinary energy of both the musicians and the audience.

Owners of the original Protos LP (One Day a New Horizon) or the Collectors Edition CD (available only by auction on eBay) can hear the album tracks by opening the Collectors' Music Library at www.protosmusic.net.  If you do not have access to the library yet, contact [email protected] for the username/password.

When the album is available through distributors and on-line retail outlets, we'll post another message.

Best wishes
Rory and Steve
New Horizons Music Ltd

"Remember Protos as the best progressive rock act since England (Garden Shed, 1977)" (Marquee Magazine, November 1991)
 Post Reply Post Reply