Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS
    Posted: November 18 2006 at 20:55
Has anyone heard of this band?

I haven't either. But I'm listening to Morow.com (GREAT STUFF) right now, adn their song just came on...
its really nice.

kinda liek the Flower Kings, but definitely good sh*t. and definiteyl prog, although they aren't in here yet.

here's their wikipedia decripstion :

GPS is a progressive rock group formed in 2006 by John Payne (vocals, bass, guitar), Guthrie Govan (guitars) and Jay Schellen (drums, percussion). These three had been working together in Asia when the fourth member of Asia, Geoff Downes, joined a reunion of the band's earlier line-up, dissolving the then current line-up. Payne, Govan and Schellen announced the formation of a new band in February 2006 to be called One. However, after discovering another rock act with the same name, the band changed its name to GPS, from the initials of the three founders.

The band has released a 10-track album called Window to the Soul on InsideOut in August 2006 in Europe. The release in North America is planned for September. (The album was originally announced as One with a May release date.) All the tracks are credited to Payne/Schellen/Govan. The band played live in September/October 2006. Keyboards on the album and forthcoming tour are by Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard.

[edit] Window To The Soul

1. Window To The Soul
  2. New Jerusalem
  3. Heaven Can Wait
  4. Written On The Wind
  5. I Believe In Yesterday
  6. The Objector
  7. All My Life
  8. Gold
  9. Since You've Been Gone
  10. Taken Dreams

A November 2005 press release from Asia had mentioned "Written on the Wind", "I Believe in Yesterday" and "Since You've Been Gone" as song titles for the Asia album (to have been called Architect of Time) Payne, Govan and Schellen were recording with Downes before the split.[

I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 21:47
I bought the disc when it came out. It's pretty good, but might not crack my top 10 best come the end of 2006. The music is good, but Payne's voice gets to be a little generic in spots. The disc comes with a 20 minute documentary of the recording of the album and interviews with the band. Payne really shows his vulnerability towards the end when he speaks pretty openly about the split between he and Downes. If you like the samples, then I'm sure you'd like the album as a whole.

E
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 14:54
I bought it about a month ago but haven't had a chance to listen to it properly yet.  From what I've heard it sounds like my cup of tea.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 15:41
Actually I'm surprised nobody's suggested this band before. If someone sticks a thread for them in "Suggest New Bands" I'm sure they'd be added.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 15:41
It's pretty AOR-ish thing - not bad perhaps, but not my cup of tea.
carefulwiththataxe
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 17:32
I've been meaning to get this one, seeing as I liked the Payne era Asia a lot more than the Wetton era. I felt the sound was much more mature, and the prog and AOR in that Asia era was balanced better. A shame Downes dumped them and has gone for the larger sums of money by reforming the original line up- that's how it looks to me, anyroad.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 14:10
I actually have a copy of this CD !!! it's  been lying around for months waiting for me to decide what genre team to suggest it to as it seems more AOR/heavy rock than Prog to me, will check it again this week.Smile

Edited by mystic fred - November 21 2006 at 14:11
Prog Archives Tour Van
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 17:26
Just got this one today. I'd say its definitely worthy of a place here. IMO, it's proggier than the Payne era Asia (which itself was proggier than the Wetton era) but follows on from that with some excellent keyboards from Ryo Okumoto. Definitely prog related, considering the members' pedigree and most importantly, the album itself. Obvious hard rock/AOR influences, but still I felt the prog outweighed those.
Sophocles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 03:18
Super album, melodic and easy listening (not in the bad way) but also progressive.  Great compositions and catchy lyrics. Music that the least you can do is appreciate it and enjoy it. Definitely hard rock/AOR with prog ideas and passages.
 Post Reply Post Reply