Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Gift and Cosmos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gift and Cosmos
    Posted: November 19 2006 at 15:41
Hello fellow progheads.

Any thoughts about the stunning new UK band The Gift or/and Swiss Pink Floyd inspired band Cosmos? I am thinking of an addition but very curious to your comments, thoughts, recommendations, also about the category.
Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 15:51
Not heard either of these 2 bands Erik. All I turned up on Google for The Gift was a Portugese band of the same name. Do they have a web site where we can listen to them?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 15:52
You can find The Gift on the UK progrock label Cyclops their website but unfortunately no bio ..

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 19 2006 at 15:56
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 00:57
Just heard the samples of The Gift, sounds as if they were in the borderline of Symphonic and Neo Prog a bit closer to the second.

Melodic, nice. soft by passages while others are close to harder rock with excellent keyboards reminds me of Genesis influenced bands like Pendragon but a bit more pompous in some moments, maybe closer to Magenta instrumental sections.

Won't be sure if to send them to Symph or Neo, but there's no doubt that they are Prog.

Is that correct Erik?

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 06:50
Yes Ivan, perfect analysis Thumbs Up , that's the reason why I was so curious to opinions from others, this is a great band but hard to categorize, I am also hesitating, symphonic prog or neo-prog..
I tend to say symphonic because the shifting moods and more complex moments/symphonic structures remind me more of symphonic prog than neo-prog. I will aks the band for a biography and an opinion about their music Wink
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 07:51
Hey, Erik, it worked here! Wink
Guigo

~~~~~~
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 17:21
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Yes Ivan, perfect analysis Thumbs Up , that's the reason why I was so curious to opinions from others, this is a great band but hard to categorize, I am also hesitating, symphonic prog or neo-prog..
I tend to say symphonic because the shifting moods and more complex moments/symphonic structures remind me more of symphonic prog than neo-prog. I will aks the band for a biography and an opinion about their music Wink

I wouldn't make any problem about having them in Symphonic despíte the influence of Geneis is second hand via Pendragon (Found a lot of similarities with Masquerade Overture) even when what I heard of The gift (My friend in the radio sent me  a cassette with a couple of songs because we neve burn CDR's for principle) is much more POMPOUS and LUSH.

Now that as a team we are going to work in Symphonic School and Neo Symphonic will probably be added inside our genre, not as a new sub-genre (To cover the grey area between Symph and Neo), The Gift could fit as a glove there, has some elemnents of both sub-genres almost equally predominant.

But I would like to read the opinion oof the Neo Prog Team also, because I feel they should also be involved in this decision.

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 18:07
No problem, just ask Stonebeard & Co. Wink (another symphonic/neo-prog recommendation is Also Eden with their debut CD About Time).
By the way, this weekend I had a progrock party, The Gift was absolutely the most appreciated prog band along Little Tragedies and the new IQ DVD Stages Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 20 2006 at 18:08
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 18:27
listened to the sample on the Gift, I heard about them a while ago, and am sure to buy the album soon.

I think they would fit very nicely in neo-prog, along-side Arena, I doubt though it really is neo(like i doubt Arena really belongs there), maybe the suggested neo-symphonic can be a good place also.

hope to have the album early next month (platenbeurs in Utrecht), else it will take a little longer if I have to order it.

I will if necesarry comment on the entire album when I have it, what i heard so far is very good.

for me it sounds more like Echolyn meets Arena, with some Spocks Beard added.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 18:38
Well fellow Dutchman, never tried www.progwalhalla.com ([email protected])? From him I got all the interestings items to borrow for reviews and he has an amazing progrock collection in stock.
By the way, this is an ad in disguise Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 20 2006 at 18:39
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 18:54

see you did some reviewing for them too.

let's see how their service is. I never order online and didn't come across a payement method, but we will see what we will see when we see it.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 00:21
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

I think they would fit very nicely in neo-prog, along-side Arena, I doubt though it really is neo(like i doubt Arena really belongs there), maybe the suggested neo-symphonic can be a good place also.

Oh please Tux, don't come with that one.

Arena is essentially THE NEO PROG SUPERGROUP:
  1. Mick Pointer (Ex Marillion)....NEO PROG
  2. Clive Nolan (Pendragon)......NEO PROG
  3. Keith Moore (ASIA)......Barely Prog Related
  4. Mick Pointer (Marillion).......NEO PROG
  5. Strteve Rothery (Guest, also from Marillion).....NEO PROG

All their members are fropm the NEO PROG sub-genre and the most iconic NEO PROG bands, Arena was never a Symphonic band.

It's making a band wiith Wakeman, Gabriel, Lake and Collins and ask them to release a Post Rock album.

Iván

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 00:28
What's this, then? Cool
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 00:46
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

What's this, then? Cool

That's what we're trying to define:

All of us accept they have Neo Prog and Symphonic elements, so it'¿s a band in the borderline that divides Symphonic from Neo.

Erik listens Genesis influence as I do, but the difference is that I beklive The Gift uis influenced by a Genesis influenced band like Pendragon while Tuxon listens Arena influence.

None of us is sure exactly where they belong but would be ok in any of both sub-genres, so I wanted to listen your opinion as all the Neo Prog Team members as I will ask all Symph members to give heir opinion.

I don't trust very much in the bands choice when defining themselves, because most of them will say Symphonic due to the wrong believe that Neo Prog is seen by many as a bland form of Symphonic.

So it's in our hands, all opinions are welcomed.

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 05:11
There is always a lot of confusion about neo-prog: is it a more melodic, accessible and polished variation on symphonic prog, is it a more rocky and more song-based variation on symphonic prog or is it a more modern sounding variation on symphonic prog with more emphasis on melodic lines and vocals and less on keyboard - and guitar soli? I am very curious to your opinions after you have listened to their samples. But watch out because The Gift is a band with a varied sound with some metal guitar riffs, very spectacular soli on synthesizers but also very mellow parts with warm vocals and soaring keyboards. This variety and elaborate approach have led me to the category symphonic prog because their foundation is more close to 70-77 Genesis than a neo-prog or progmetal band... in my opinion Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 21 2006 at 05:12
 Post Reply Post Reply