Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJonathan Q. Glascock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is the best album of Glascock's bass maddness?!?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [15.79%]
9 [47.37%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [15.79%]
4 [21.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jonathan Q. Glascock
    Posted: November 20 2006 at 02:58
Hmm. Can I say that last option? I dunno. Let's find out.

Anyway, I'm bored, and here's the deal. Just about every thread I enter turns into the "Whistler defends Jeffrey" thread. I mean, I love Jeffrey! He's the best Tull ever had, the best in the biz. Regardless of what you think.

HOWEVER, of all Tullers, the bassplayer that gest shoved in my face the most is Johnny Glascock (was that a real name?). And, I think he's not quite as good as Cornick, but he's one of the most PRESENT bass players, and possibly my second favorite.

So, all ye lovers of the good life, I was wondering what you thought was Johnny boy's best work? Too Olde? Haven't heard that. Songs? I have heard that. Horses? That's my fave; listen to the basslines on Acres Wild and Journeyman (he's grown so much). Stormwatch? He's only on three tracks, but Ian's pretty good on the bass too if you care.

Bursting out? Since I won't vote, I'll have time to go back and see if the basswork here is better than Horses. Er, in my stupid opinion at least (which is how we got here; see second paragraph).
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:05
Not a surprise choice -- Bursting Out! (though I have nothing against any studio album he was involved in (except for Stormwatch)).
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:08
Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

Not a surprise choice -- Bursting Out! (though I have nothing against any studio album he was involved in (except for Stormwatch)).

Hmm. What should I listen for, when I get the album back (it's on loan)...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:13
Ho! Someone chose the equivalent of "I hate Tull, but enjoy making dog food out of puppies." Something like that sneaks into every poll...
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:24

Glasscock was at his best while with Carmen.

Fandangos in Space!

What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:26
I also love Jeffrey, especially when he's playing with Barrie! Enjoying the things these two were up to on MINSTREL and other albums is one of the great joys of my Tully life.

But just the other day I listened to HORSIES wiz za head-o-phono and it struck me how prominent & enjoyable J. Glascock's bass playing was. Although Glascock must have done great things on WOOD as well, they are perhaps a tad less striking. Therefore I voted for HORSIES.

Edited by fuxi - November 20 2006 at 03:27
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 04:05
I have to say that Mr Glascock is my favourite bassist. A player of consumate musicality.
smithers View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 04:53
Glascock is also my fave Tull bass player.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 05:10
I like Glascock in all he did with JT, really. I think he did his best in Heavy Horses.

What a pity he died so tragically and too soon. With him, Stormwatch would have been of a superior quality.
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 05:41
Bursting Out is really great. You can hear the bass playing more clearly than you can on the studio albums I think.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 10:30
I meant he is my favourite bassist - not favourite Tull bassist!.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 01:18
Originally posted by Glueman Glueman wrote:

I meant he is my favourite bassist - not favourite Tull bassist!.

Uh...uh...hmm. I can't make heads or tails of this statement.
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 00:55
He's my fave Tull bassist. I was impressed when I saw him live in London in 76 in a prog sense. At that time I had also seen the likes of Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Percy Jones and then Rutherford, Waters, Kenny Gradney,Billy Kristian, Neil Murray, Mike Wedgwood, Tony Reeves, Patrick O'Hearn, Roy Babbington and some others - I was into bass players[and still am].

He still impressed me as an excellent player live and in the Tull context. I don't have all the Tull albums of his era so I don't know all of his studio contributions. But like 'The Rock', I enjoyed his work for 'Carmen', particularly on 'The Gypsies'.

He's a very different style of player to Jeffrey . Similar to Mike Wedgwood who is also under-appreciated in the prog idiom imo.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 03:51
Despite Anderson's assertion that JC loves being "thrashed severely across the bum", I find his bass guitar playing superb, especially on 'Bursting Out' and 'Heavy Horses'

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 03:56
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Despite Anderson's assertion that JC loves being "thrashed severely across the bum", I find his bass guitar playing superb, especially on 'Bursting Out' and 'Heavy Horses'

They only did it lightly! The kinky (censored).

Wait! I still want to know if there are certain stand up (pun intended) bass tracks on Bursting Out! Like my previously mentioned Journeyman and Acres Wild! Eh?

And, I just noticed I asked specifically about "bass maddness." Eh?

Edited by The Whistler - November 22 2006 at 03:58
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 07:19
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

And, I just noticed I asked specifically about "bass maddness." Eh?

Did you mean "wardrobe madness" perhaps?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 08:57

So, all ye lovers of the good life, I was wondering what you thought was Johnny boy's best work? Too Olde? Haven't heard that. Songs? I have heard that. Horses? That's my fave; listen to the basslines on Acres Wild and Journeyman (he's grown so much). Stormwatch? He's only on three tracks, but Ian's pretty good on the bass too if you care.

aaaaaaaahhh... days go by and I see that Whistler does not have Tull albumsShocked
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 16:32
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

aaaaaaaahhh... days go by and I see that Whistler does not have Tull albumsShocked

Aha! I knew this would be misinterpretted (sic?)! I own and/or love Rock 'n Roll (underrated three-star effort that it is); I meant that I've never heard anyone defend it. Basslines or otherwise.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 16:44

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Aha! I knew this would be misinterpretted (sic?)! I own and/or love Rock 'n Roll (underrated three-star effort that it is); I meant that I've never heard anyone defend it. Basslines or otherwise.

Review by Andrea Cortese (Andrea Cortese)
Posted 1:01:38 AM EST, 8/31/2005

4 stars The second of their pair of albums recorded with their mobile studio in the principality of Monaco. Too Old.. was destined originally to be the soundtrack to a stage musical based on a late fifties motor cycle rocker and his living-in-the-past nostalgia for the youthful years. To replace the recently departed bass player Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond, John Glascock, ex-Carmen flamenco rocker, made his debut here with Tull also providing backing vocals. To his memory is dedicated the 2002 album remaster (also Angela Allen, from Carmen, sang on this 1976 Tull’work, in particular on Crazed Institution and Big Dipper). A good album from JT, moderately different from the previous Minstrel In The Gallery, but with appreciable musical structure derivated from that its original projected destiny. Quizz Kid, Too Old To Rock,n’Roll, Too Young To Die!, Salamander, Pied Piper and The Chequered flag are my favourite songs but also the others are of a good quality. The bonus tracks are great: Strip Cartoon (single accompanying The Whistler) and the duo Anderson-Palmer in A Small Cigar.

Good album anyway, not one of their best, but not deserving the low ratings I’ve seen… I think that 4 stars (rounded up really) it’s its right evaluation (3,5-4).

Not recommended to Tull novices…

Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 16:47
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Review by Andrea Cortese (Andrea Cortese)
Posted 1:01:38 AM EST, 8/31/2005

4 stars The second of their pair of albums recorded with their mobile studio in the principality of Monaco. Too Old.. was destined originally to be the soundtrack to a stage musical based on a late fifties motor cycle rocker and his living-in-the-past nostalgia for the youthful years. To replace the recently departed bass player Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond, John Glascock, ex-Carmen flamenco rocker, made his debut here with Tull also providing backing vocals. To his memory is dedicated the 2002 album remaster (also Angela Allen, from Carmen, sang on this 1976 Tull’work, in particular on Crazed Institution and Big Dipper). A good album from JT, moderately different from the previous Minstrel In The Gallery, but with appreciable musical structure derivated from that its original projected destiny. Quizz Kid, Too Old To Rock,n’Roll, Too Young To Die!, Salamander, Pied Piper and The Chequered flag are my favourite songs but also the others are of a good quality. The bonus tracks are great: Strip Cartoon (single accompanying The Whistler) and the duo Anderson-Palmer in A Small Cigar.

Good album anyway, not one of their best, but not deserving the low ratings I’ve seen… I think that 4 stars (rounded up really) it’s its right evaluation (3,5-4).

Not recommended to Tull novices…

Wink

Good on ya! But...I don't remember going anywhere with Strip Cartoon...?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>