Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore Baroque band poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which ofthis band is more baroque?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [80.00%]
2 [6.67%]
1 [3.33%]
3 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 16:25
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

As per my ancient understanding of this lot, the difference between classical and baroque is thus:

Classical is a main tune, the "melody," if you will, played by a certain body of the orchestra. The rest of the orchestra backs it up.

Baroque, the earlier style, was chamber music. It was played by a quartet (unknown (by me) variety), in which each instrument played a different line of music. All the tunes were complete on their own, but perfectly suited to be played together. Since each line of music was independent (both musically and environmentally (?)), the musicians could swap music, and different instruments could play different lines of music.

...Make sense?

Of course, it makes a lot of sense. It's very good to use a notion with multiple semantics whilst explaining the way you're using it. The difference you explain is accurate, I only want to add these: the adjective "baroque" was created by extracting the patterns of only plastic arts and arhitecture of that certain era, and not also of music. This was because the music of the period was different in ways than the plastic arts and architecture. Still, later music from the 17th century was called "baroque" because it was created in the Baroque era, and, I repeat, not because it had "baroque" features. ("The original meaning of "baroque" is "irregularly shaped pearl", a strikingly fitting characterization of the architecture and design of this period; later, the name came to be applied also to its music. Baroque music forms a major portion of the classical music canon." - as wikipedia accurately says it). This is why "baroque" music isn't actually "baroque". The only inovation in music in the Baroque era that was actually baroque was Opera.

As you said, the difference is between "polyphony" with "counterpoint" on one side and "homophony" on the other, using words a little more precise. In this case, we could do a totally different scale than the one i proposed.

Further reading recomendations for Baroque/baroque:

All great books.

And trust my words, I have a degree on this stuff. Wink

Alright! I'm smart!

Ornamentation. I wish I had my Very Best of Jethro Tull here; at one point in the liner notes, Ian is commenting on how Tull is tossed in with hard rock, soft rock, folk rock, art rock, and ba-roque, and later on he says (something to the tune of): "Oh! I just looked up baroque in the dictionary. It says "overly fancy, eventually collapsing over its own ornamentation." Okay, fair cop. We've been there. Maybe once or twice."
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
DarioIndjic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 01:44

Les cloches de Notre-Dame by Maneige is the most beautiful baroque composition i ever heard!

After Crying also have many baroque elements in their music,or maybe more chamber music ...

I voted for PFM because i find them baroque in a sensual stylistic way,GG are too complex and unmellodic to me...
Ars longa , vita brevis
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 05:26
Gentle Giant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12