Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog-metal for people who don't like prog-metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg-metal for people who don't like prog-metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 03:57
^ are you sure that "despise" is the right word?Stern%20Smile
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 13:36
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

Progressive metal is the most feeling-less, complex and cold kind of prog that I've heard. Your idea is good, but useless, I think; because it's related with one of the most dissapointing styles of music ever made. What do you think, Bryan and company? 

Jesus, I wish people like you were available in considerably lesser amounts.
sig
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 14:06

Progressive metal is the most feeling-less, complex and cold kind of prog that I've heard. Your idea is good, but useless, I think; because it's related with one of the most dissapointing styles of music ever made. What do you think, Bryan and company? 

i agree its terrible and all the artists should just stick a gun to their head and pull the trigger

wouldn't the world be a better place then?

the same could be said for classical music being cold and off-putting, but oh wait, classical music has produced the most recognizable geniuses in music

that Bach guy, he was so disappointing
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 17:21
Eh! One by one, guys!

This is exactly what I was waiting for. Now, give me intelligent reasons why prog metal must be listened by  proggers.  You are the experts, not me   :)
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 17:25

Eh! One by one, guys!

This is exactly what I was waiting for. Now, give me intelligent reasons why prog metal must be listened by  proggers.  You are the experts, not me   :)

Well, why do you listen to music? In general?
sig
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:07
I listen to music cause it blows my mind and makes me happy or sad, it depends. Moreover, in some cases it's relaxing.

If you think that I talk about Prog metal without any "experience", let me tell you: Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, among others that I've heard, are bands that makes extremely complex and heavy music, extremely elaborated, and for that reason it lost some emotional touches that are essential to any music composition. Prog Metal could be called "modern prog", and I'm sure you also agree with the prog gold years are gone. Now prog is noise and feeling-less: Prog metal is the perfect example.

I do insist: you're the expert, give me good reasons why a prog newbie must start or not with Progressive Metal.        Tongue
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:16

I listen to music cause it blows my mind and makes me happy or sad, it depends. Moreover, in some cases it's relaxing.

If you think that I talk about Prog metal without any "experience", let me tell you: Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, among others that I've heard, are bands that makes extremely complex and heavy music, extremely elaborated, and for that reason it lost some emotional touches that are essential to any music composition. Prog Metal could be called "modern prog", and I'm sure you also agree with the prog gold years are gone. Now prog is noise and feeling-less: Prog metal is the perfect example.

I do insist: you're the expert, give me good reasons why a prog newbie must start or not with Progressive Metal.        Tongue

personally, I have no desire to help assist people with things who don't want help

its like asking a friends to help you with your taxes and then telling them to f**k off, just doesn't work
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:20
^ who said that anyone should *start* with prog metal? It makes sense for a newbie in prog to start with the classics and then proceed through the decades, which involves - among other things - prog metal.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:22
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ who said that anyone should *start* with prog metal? It makes sense for a newbie in prog to start with the classics and then proceed through the decades, which involves - among other things - prog metal.

Should be ideal, Mike... but in fact, the youngest are more exposed to metal, then prog-metal, etc. Well, at least, it was the way things happened with my 2 sons. Smile

Edited by Atkingani - March 22 2007 at 18:23
Guigo

~~~~~~
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:24
I'm not asking for some prog metal reccomendation. Do understand: I got into this thread with clear intentions to start a discussion about why so many people like prog metal, even most of them are absolute fans of Genesis, J-Tull, Crimson, etc. You could say it's simply a matter of likes, but if you like prog metal too much, justifie it. Don't say "metal is best" or thing. Explain why.

Kind Regards
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:27
Ok, then they should explore it backwards ... if someone is serious about ascending from "prog newbie" to "prog master" then they have to listen to all the different genres ... and not just the popular bands of the genres. Smile
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:32
MikeEnRegalia: Yes, still I don't hear some Krautrock. But I've tried prog metal, and I cannot find some taste!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:44
^ I'm not saying that you have to enjoy prog metal ... of course it's possible that you simply don't like metal. All I'm saying is that people should make sure that they've listened to more than the most popular bands of a genre before they "finalize" their opinion about it.Smile
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:45
It would be easier for someone who already likes metal to get into Prog Metal. I would recommend Savatage to get into the Prog Metal genre.
Clark2001, I would suggest Savatage "The wake of Magellan" in your case.
For someone who is crossing over from Neo Progressive, I would recommend Riverside.
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:55
Are you saying that I have to explore beyond bands like Dream Theater or Liquid Tension? And do you think that are there better prog metal bands? So I'll take seriously the post of WaywardSon  Smile

P.D.: Yet anybody reply me correctly, I think.
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 19:28

Are you saying that I have to explore beyond bands like Dream Theater or Liquid Tension? And do you think that are there better prog metal bands? So I'll take seriously the post of WaywardSon  Smile

Hell yeah!  Try bands like Enchant, Sieges Even, Heaven's Cry, Ark, Aghora, Riverside, Indukti amongst many others. Big%20smile

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 19:37

I listen to music cause it blows my mind and makes me happy or sad, it depends. Moreover, in some cases it's relaxing.If you think that I talk about Prog metal without any "experience", let me tell you: Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, among others that I've heard, are bands that makes extremely complex and heavy music, extremely elaborated, and for that reason it lost some emotional touches that are essential to any music composition. Prog Metal could be called "modern prog", and I'm sure you also agree with the prog gold years are gone. Now prog is noise and feeling-less: Prog metal is the perfect example.I do insist: you're the expert, give me good reasons why a prog newbie must start or not with Progressive Metal.        Tongue

Complexity doesn't bely emotion. It could in fact be argued that complex music is more able to represent complex emotion, no? I don't see anything in LTE or DT (well, I still have a soft spot for DT because I listened to them when I was fourteen!) but plenty of metal musicians pour their heart and soul into it; plenty have wide-ranging topics to discuss in their music: Kayo Dot with astral projection, Mr. Bungle with strange phantasy, Watchtower with... something political, Fantomas with bizarre psychological experimentation...

The golden years of prog over? I don't care one way or the other; there is plenty of beautiful, moving and powerful music being written, prog or no.

I rarely listen to metal any more, and plenty of it's rubbish, but it's not to be ruled out completely by any means.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 19:39
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

Hell yeah!  Try bands like Enchant, Sieges Even, Heaven's Cry, Ark, Aghora, Riverside, Indukti amongst many others. Big%20smile

dang JD- I have Riverside out of that list. That's itConfused

sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 19:54
Complexity doesn't bely emotions certainly: just listen to King Crimson. But maybe because of technology and this modern era, prog metal is extremely arranged, and you can see (or hear, really) the feeling of virtuous musicians as well, but you can't compare Crimson with DC: new context, a new era. For me prog metal sounds also as industrial music  :P

Prog years are over; the early bands were very nice, but now it's over, except a few exceptions.
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 19:59
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

dang JD- I have Riverside out of that list. That's itConfused
You're missing a lot.Cry

I'll see what I can do.WinkWinkWink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>