Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog-metal for people who don't like prog-metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg-metal for people who don't like prog-metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:31
This blog entry was created by Bryan to recommend some prog metal to people.

I don't like seeing it degenerate into a bunch of nasty arguments.It's not a thread where prog metal has to be defended or an ongoing debate on whether prog metal is a valid sub-genre or emotionless music.

This is not fair to Bryan so If you all are going to act that way,take it to the Prog Lounge.

Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:32
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I don't like seeing it degenerate into a bunch of nasty arguments.It's not a thread where prog metal has to be defended or an ongoing debate on whether prog metal is a valid sub-genre or emotionless music.

This is not fair to Bryan so If you all are going to act that way,take it to the Prog Lounge.

I agree and suggest all of the posts beginning with that scarsick's first post are either deleted or moved somewhere.

Edited by Trickster F. - March 23 2007 at 15:32
sig
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:33
Has anyone mentioned Anathema yet?  I know their later albums are less metal, but they're very good.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:35
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I agree and suggest all of the posts beginning with that scarsick's first post are either deleted or moved somewhere.

I am seriously considering it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:35
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Has anyone mentioned Anathema yet?  I know their later albums are less metal, but they're very good.

I am anticipating their newest album as we... type. Anathema have been called the "heavy Radiohead" and I like that definition.
sig
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:37
I just listened to A Natural Disaster for the first time and it was very good.  And now I'm listening to Alternative 4.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 16:00
Ahhh... Don't you just love oversimplified generalizations?...

Back on topic. Should I get Alternative 4 as a starting point for Anathema?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 16:02
^^ That or Judgement, they're both very good.  Judgement is the lighter album of the two.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 16:05
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Eternity is where they changed their sound, so I'd suggest this one, even though it's not their best.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 16:10
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Knowing your tastes, I think you'd appreciate A Natural Disaster more.
sig
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 16:17
Thanks guys. I'll write those albums down and start hunting.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 16:29
I appreciate Bryan's efforts to broaden non-PM fans' exposure to, and notions of, prog metal.

Some of the stuff he sent me in the past may not have converted me to a "headbanger," but at least I reached a level of understanding where I could say "I still don't care for it, but parts of it were pretty good (for me, usually the often slower opening passages, before the vocals come in), and I can see why it's called "progressive" metal, why it's here, and why people might like it.

I will also check out some of the stuff you've posted here, with an open mind. If I like it, I'll let you know -- in this thread. If I don't like it -- well, then it's just not to my taste.
We all have some sort of "borders" as to what we like (in art, and other things) but who knows? Some of the stuff you've listed may fall within my borders (or close enough to them that stretching those borders to encorporate the music would not entail my having to become someone else).Ermm

SmileHope that made sense! Again, Bryan, I appreciate your bridge-building efforts for the greater good of our oft-divided community.Clap

Maybe I won't make it across the bridge, but I'll give it an honest effort. If "scary" sounds make me retreat back to my safe and familiar side, in the end, I promise not to stand there and hurl insults and gibes at the dark-clad folks on the other shore. Wink

(Been there -- done that. Wasn't good for me, or anyone else!)LOL

Edited by Peter Rideout - March 23 2007 at 16:31
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 00:57
Well Bryan, I downloaded SIX STRINGS TO COVER FEAR

by the first band you listed, and I was honestly really digging
the majestic, melodic, mellotronny sound -- until the darned growling vocals came in!Pinch

Sorry, I still find such unnatural "singing" to be very silly -- it just plain ruined it, for me. Had to turn it off -- i can't see myself ever getting into such vocals.Confused

I'll try more of your list, though I think "warning -- contains growling" might be a good label to stick on such CDs!Ermm

I think any prog fan not put off by growling should give it a go, though.Smile

Edit: I just spot-checked the rest of the track, and while the music gets a fair bit heavier/faster (that double kick bass thing), there are also some sections of real beauty and delicacy.Thumbs%20Up

But those vox -- aieeeeee! Torture! Pinch

If you read this, can you point me (and other like souls) to some of the stuff that's growling-free?

I know the words don't really matter to some folks here, but lyrics are quite important to me, too -- if too dark, I won't like the track.

Edited by Peter Rideout - March 24 2007 at 01:11
He chortled in his joy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:06
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Well Bryan, I downloaded SIX STRINGS TO COVER FEAR

by the first band you listed, and I was honestly really digging
the majestic, melodic, mellotronny sound -- until the darned growling vocals came in!Pinch

Sorry, I still find such unnatural "singing" to be very silly -- it just plain ruined it, for me. Had to turn it off -- i can't see myself ever getting into such vocals.Confused

I'll try more of your list, though I think "warning -- contains growling" might be a good label to stick on such CDs!Ermm

I think any prog fan not put off by growling should give it a go, though.Smile

I'll take a download...  I have nothing against PM in general.. just haven't found anything that has 'grabbed' me. And it's fun to poke fun at. As far as growling goes.. LOL....   no different than the overwrought vocal styles of RPI.  Just taste I guess Big%20smile
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:13
^ Eh Micky? RPI? Wha?Confused
He chortled in his joy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:17
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

^ Eh Micky? RPI? Wha?Confused

hahhahah.... I love my abbreviations...

Rock progressivo italiano.  the old ISP. errr...   italian symphonic prog. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:39
^
Yeah, it took me a while to not mind and start to enjoy someone like Francesco Di Giacomo. I must admit it's the singing/lyrics in many forms of prog, including Progmetal, that can sometimes diminish the music for me, i.e. Riverside (who I like a lot), Cynic (who I don't). Consequently the heavy stuff I like has little or no vocals..

Edited by Atavachron - March 24 2007 at 01:52
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:46
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^
Yeah, it took me a while to not mind and start to enjoy someone like Francesco Di Giacomo. I must admit it's the singing/lyrics in many forms of prog, including Progmetal, that can sometimes diminish the music for me, i.e. Rivertree (who I like a lot), Cynic (who I don't). Consequently the heavy stuff I like has little or no vocals..

same here... of the RPI biggies.. Banco took me to longest to get into. ( even more than Le Orme LOL) for that reason.  I remember a similar thread Mike did a year or so ago.. where again he tried to get.. hahha.. Peter and I into PM.  It just isn't our thing I guess... but all ribbing aside... I think I can speak for him as well. We did listen with open minds.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:47
Well, re your comparison to Italian prog vocals, then, Michelangelo, I'd have to disagree.

I find PFM vocals to be rather nice, Banco vox to be dynamic, and even the intense Latin vox of Deus Ex Machina to be musical, but I find growled vox to be very irritating, and just plain (unintentionally) funny. I think these bands seriously limit the possible extent of their audience when they employ them. (My wife -- kids too -- and friends would think I was NUTS if I played that stuff for them, and said I liked the singing. I honestly can't imagine anyone I know personally enjoying -- or even tolerating -- that.)

Again, I'm not saying you'd have to be nuts to like it ("different strokes," & all), but I'd need to be someone else to get into it. I have enough trouble with screamers like Axel Rose & the guy from ACDC (make me unable to enjoy the otherwise pretty good, ass-kickin' tunes), but growling, to me, takes it to a whole new level of pain -- the lowest level of hell, perhaps. If there are angel choirs in heaven, and demonic choruses in hell, the latter must sound just like the above vocals.
Not at all pleasant, shall we say....Ermm

Ermm I hope I don't get in trouble in certain quarters for this post -- I'm just being honest.

Again, there was some good, even pretty/uplifting music on there, though -- well-deserving of the "prog" label.Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout - March 24 2007 at 01:48
He chortled in his joy.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 01:57
Thanks to Peter for making an honest effort to check out some of the stuff I mentioned... Subterranean Masquerade do have growled vocals on certain songs, although several of their tracks are growl-free as well, which made me a little less reluctant to list them.  But anyway, knowing that there are actually some people using this thread to help them find new bands is refreshing to see in the wake of the obligatory blind genre bashing that I'd hoped the thread could avoid falling into.

If sircosick or whatever his name is really cares to hear some undeniably emotional prog-metal, I strongly advise that he check out the Neurosis album I recommended on page 2, though I somehow doubt he's actually interested at all in recieving genuine advice out of this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>