Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog-metal for people who don't like prog-metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg-metal for people who don't like prog-metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 18:08
Well, I think a well deserved bump is order.

If not to help any others with Prog Metal Problems, at least to recommend another intriguing and forward thinking Progressive Metal Band: Shaolin Death Squad.  Had I known about them in 2006, they would have made it very high into my favorite albums list, possibly in the top 5.  The music is a strange combination of Mr. Bungle/Estradasphere weirdness, Faith No More meets Pain of Salvation with a large twist of their own.  The vocalists sounds like Mike Patton meets Daniel Gildenlow at times.

Highly recommended.
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 11:21
OK. I haven't heard much prog metal but I like Opeth, Voivod and Mastodon, and I don't like Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater or anything involving Mike Patton.

What would you recommend?
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 20:53
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

OK. I haven't heard much prog metal but I like Opeth, Voivod and Mastodon, and I don't like Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater or anything involving Mike Patton.

What would you recommend?

Have you tried the bands mentioned in this thread? Namely, Hammers of Misfotune, Deadsoul Tribe, Subterranean Masquerade etc.

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 08:45
I'll give them a try. To be honest, there have been so many bands mentioned in this thread it 's a bit overwhelming!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 00:19
maudlin of the Well

srsly

Mike Giles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 23:52
VOIVOD, they are from Québec, im from Québec = I like these guys!

Nothing he's got, he really needs. Twenty first century schizoid man.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 00:21
I assume you've looked into Mammatus [http://www.myspace.com/mammatus] and the other 'stoner-metal' bands, like Mammoth
Xeroth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 15:56
Well, I would have to say that Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands of all time, so I don't quite understand what everyone hates about them because all that stuff about emotionless--to technical--blah, blah, blah, but I would like to suggest one prog-metal band not many have probably heard of that has really blown my mind away more recently.  They're called Diablo Swing Orchestra!  Awesome band with their debut album Butcher's Ballroom.  It's metal, swing, opera, jazz, and well, what ever else they could put into their songs that sounded right at the moment.  They've got awesome songs like Pit Bull Revolutions and Balrog Boogie that are crazy.  Give 'em a listen it's incredible!  Also, a really cool band is OSI!  I don't care if you hate Dream Theater or Liquid Tension experiment, but this is where Portnoy finally slows down and with Kevin Moore and another guy who's name leaves me really kick out some experimental/techno/whatever sciencey spacey sound that's pretty dark, techincal (not in a fast, crazy way) but also relaxing and rather contemplative and intriguing.  Of all of Portnoy's millions and millions of side projects that's the one that I've come to like... consider it something like OSI the Uber band!  Excellent musicians composing music that doesn't lose you in the complexity and it has that ominous emotion that some complain that Progressive Metal doesn't convey.
I once was cool, but now I'm cold. Can you please turn up the heat.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 17:30
Originally posted by Xeroth Xeroth wrote:

Well, I would have to say that Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands of all time, so I don't quite understand what everyone hates about them because all that stuff about emotionless--to technical--blah, blah, blah

Neither do I dude. To me, bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Death, Pain of Salvation and Ayreon pretty much sums up the sub-genre, just like Magma itself sums Zehul, Yes and Genesis pretty much sums Synphonic prog, Pink Floyd pretty much sums up space rock, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Peter Hammil sums up eclectic prog.

However, these bands have hermetic music. I clearly remember how difficult and painful it were to listen a full King Crimson, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Yes, Genesis, etc album for the very 1st time. it took me some months to get used to the music, but, when i got used, i became addicted to it. Cool

You guys just have to give time to time, just like any progressive rock album would demand to be well listen.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 18:14
There are three things I dislike about prog metal. The first is double bass drumming, which I consider to be a childish gimmick. The second is growling, for which the same applies. The third is the sound of the bass guitar on many prog metal albums; it sounds way too dry and, yes, metallic. Nothing against a heavy and distorted bass; I really love that. But this metallic sounding bass is horrible to my ears. Any recommendations for Prog Metal without these features?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 18:42
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

There are three things I dislike about prog metal. The first is double bass drumming, which I consider to be a childish gimmick. The second is growling, for which the same applies. The third is the sound of the bass guitar on many prog metal albums; it sounds way too dry and, yes, metallic. Nothing against a heavy and distorted bass; I really love that. But this metallic sounding bass is horrible to my ears. Any recommendations for Prog Metal without these features?

dont know any prog metal band without ANY these features. And i think it will be very hard to find any band without all of them. Ermm

Edited by CCVP - March 18 2008 at 21:38
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 18:48
Actually I was thinking that Kayo Dot satisfies Friede's request. The drummer has more taste, the music is produced with far more space (so no overly chromatic instruments) and although Mr. Driver does do odd, contortionist things with his voice, I wouldn't call any of it growling. =)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 19:00
though I didn't like 'Dowsing',  I'd agree KD are a good rec in this case
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 19:34
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Xeroth Xeroth wrote:

Well, I would have to say that Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands of all time, so I don't quite understand what everyone hates about them because all that stuff about emotionless--to technical--blah, blah, blah

Neither do I dude. To me, bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Death, Pain of Salvation and Ayreon pretty much sums up the sub-genre, just like Magma itself sums Zehul, Yes and Genesis pretty much sums Synphonic prog, Pink Floyd pretty much sums up space rock, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Peter Hammil sums up eclectic prog.

However, these bands have hermetic music. I clearly remember how difficult and painful it were to listen a full King Crimson, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Yes, Genesis, etc album for the very 1st time. it took me some months to get used to the music, but, when i got used, i became addicted to it. Cool

You guys just have to give time to time, just like any progressive rock album would demand to be well listen.

I agree with most of your assessments, except for Pink Floyd summing up Space Rock. Space Rock would not be what it is without bands like Gong and Hawkwind; they are essential Space Rock.

Edited by BaldFriede - March 18 2008 at 19:37

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 21:35

I agree with most of your assessments, except for Pink Floyd summing up Space Rock. Space Rock would not be what it is without bands like Gong and Hawkwind; they are essential Space Rock.

Well, there is true in what you say, but i consider these bands as merely important to the genre, since Pink Floyd basically invented the genre back in 68 with a "Saurcerful of Secrets" album. It is not a good debut for the genre, but what the hell, all the basics are there! It is also true that Hawkwind was also one of the pioneers and also Eloy was a very important band. i really know nothing about Gong, but what i know is that the band had a incredible flexibility in its sound, changing its "genre" some times that you cant pinpoint what kind of prog they made and maybe this is the biggest problem with this web site: creating sub-genres out of nothing and fitting bands in it omitting  some of the band's  main characteristic, like  happens in the  unbelievable "Italian symphonic prog" which puts in the same bag bands that have quite different sound. Confused If these strange genre creating had any criteria at all it should be a exclusive sub-genre for the Brazilian band "Os Mutantes", since they did NOT, and i repeat with more emphasis, THEY DID NOT IN ANY MOMENT OF THEIR EARLY CAREER made a single psychedelic rock album EVER. They were part of a exclusive Brazilian musical movement called "TROPICÁLIA", which consisted in making true Brazilian music mixing international influences (like rock in the Os Mutantes case) and Brazilian traditional music and some inventions made by the musicians, since there was a intense creative work here at that time (60's - 70's). Also made part of the Tropicália movement Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, and some other important Brazilian musicians that i cant recall the name right now. ConfusedOuch

Anyhow, going back to the point here, since Pink Floyd made, chronologically, albums that would strongly characterizes space rock for ever (like their 1st masterpiece: atom heart mother) and, because of that were more important to the genre that the warrior on the edge of time and ocean, for example. Hell, meddle and dark side of the moon came 1st then hall of the mountain grill and they where far more important then hall.

Because of that, i think that Pink Floyd WAS and still IS the main influence of space rock because, even if the bands today get their influence from Hawkwind or Eloy, both of these bands were influenced 1st by Pink Floyd. TongueWink

Edited by CCVP - March 19 2008 at 11:50
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 01:27
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Because of that, i think that Pink Floyd WAS and still IS the main influence of space rock because, even if the bands today get their influence from Hawkwind or Eloy, both of these bands were influenced 1st by Pink Floyd. TongueWink
[/QUOTE]
Not really; Hawkwind were more influenced by Krautrock.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 11:46

Not really; Hawkwind were more influenced by Krautrock.

True, but kraut shared a lot of features with space rock. Eloy's 2nd and 3rd albums are pure kraut to me, for exemple. I think kraut was a specie of space rock that emerged in Germany because of some reasons and  its not the time to list those reasons here.

Besides, since hawkwind was so much influenced by kraut, you just threw the influence responsibility to kraut.

Maybe krautrock is Germany's way to make space rock . . . .

Edited by CCVP - March 20 2008 at 20:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567