Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLatest band additions to PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 07:26
^^^
Thanks for your comments Uroboros.

Missus Beastly was added by Hugues (Sean Trane) to Jazz-Rock/Fusion - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2726

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

GeckO, please hurry with The Gift before Prog Archives becomes an anachronism Wink :

Patience.  Look in tomorrow and all will hopefully be sorted. Wink  I'm waiting on Iván,
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 12:34
I am as impatient at that hyperactive gekko, GeckO ... LOL

I just received a PM from Andu, he has invited me to join him to write the Yesterdays biography, I am glad with that proposal because Yesterdays deserves to be on Prog Archives, almost as soon as The Gift Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 17:44
As I said, I'm ready to add the album, but I have to wait for the band and bio to be added first and Iván isn't around yet.  Today is apparently the day for additions.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 17:52

I  love gekko's Wink ....
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 17:54
That synchs nicely with Jan Dukes De Grey! LOL
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 21:48
Your attention, Please!

Two additions today.

THe first is a band that Chamberry and I suggested to the Neo-Prog team and they kindly looked into it and added it - Stonebeard did the addition (wrote bio and added cd's).
This is a Neo-prog band from Puerto Rico, and they released therir album Futura Historia in 2004. You can read a review here:
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1604

Their page in PA is here:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2729

The second band was added By Syzygy (Chris) who is a member of ZART. He added Massacre (not the death metal band) to RIO/Avant here:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2727
This band features Bill Laswell (bass) and Fred Maher (drums) and of course Fred Frith (guitars) who formed Massacre.
Let me quote Chris' bio here:
According to the sleeve notes of their debut album, Massacre's first concert took place on Valentine's Day in 1980 as support act at a Peter Blegvad concert, and their final show was in Los Angeles in June 1981. For a band which existed for less than 18 months and only released one album (by the original incarnation), Massacre has had an uncommonly long afterlife.

When Fred Frith formed the avant prog power trio he chose to work with two of the New York downtown scene's hottest musicians, Bill Laswell (bass) and Fred Maher (drums). The pair were both members of Material and had played together on Daevid Allen's New York Gong project, and between them would play with or produce a staggering variety of musicians. Right from the outset Massacre was much more than Fred Frith plus rhythm section - Frith was looking for something that would reflect the music heard in New York's clubs, and Maher and Laswell were as steeped in funk and dub reggae as they were in experimental jazz and avant rock. Massacre was a meeting of equals with a unique chemistry. Most of their pieces were short, some were tightly composed, some were improvised and it wasn't always obvious which was which. Their debut album had a message: PLAY LOUD. Killing Time attracted rave reviews, and was reissued several times with extra tracks. Massacre also contributed to side 2 of Fred Frith's Speechless album, and numerous bootlegs of their incendiary concerts appeared. There were one or two semi-reunions, and then in 1998 Frith and Laswell started playing with Charles Hayward and Massacre was reborn. A studio album came out in 1998, Funny Valentine, and the band also backed vocalist Percy Howard on the excellent Meridiem album at about the same time. In 2001 they played at Robert Wyatt's Meltdown festival in London and the live set Meltdown was released shortly afterwards.

All 3 of Massacre's official albums are excellent, but it's their 1980's debut which remains their strongest. The later releases feature mostly longer pieces with a more jazzy structure, still extremely strong but somehow lacking the visceral power of the original line up.

Why this artist must be listed in www.progarchives.com :
A superlative avant-prog power trio featuring some of the most important musicians in the RIO/avant prog genre.

Discography:
Killing Time (1981)
Funny Valentine (1998)
Meltdown (2001)

Edited by avestin - November 29 2006 at 22:04
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 21:58
Great job Stonebeard! Clap This one was a fast addition to the archives.

I'm proud to see a second prog band from Puerto Rico in the archives! Big smile
and a third prog band from Puerto Rico comming your way soon.Wink

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 22:05
^^^
Is that a fact?...

I am planning on a French invasion to PA... Slowly, and surely, they will conquer this place...
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 09:32
Clap French invasion sounds good to me!

...and I need to get to know those Massacre guys - got me very curious about..
carefulwiththataxe
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 09:51
I have tried a few times to stimulate Neo Prog collaborators to take notice from Also Eden, anyone interested to add this good new band or should I do it myself?
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 10:05
so are we to presume that Material's albums will be on the archives soon?

bill laswells band

Memory Serves kinda shames most of the Canterbury scene
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 10:11
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I have tried a few times to stimulate Neo Prog collaborators to take notice from Also Eden, anyone interested to add this good new band or should I do it myself?

I tried to get Erik interested in this dutch band Poetica In Silentio, but he doesn't want to hear.WinkBig smileLOL

I might have to do it myselfShockedClown
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 10:43
Well Sean, I have tried before but my 'Caveman' computer is not able to listen to the samples. I will ask a friend to help me with this returning problem Unhappy
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 12:42
PA keeps on expanding.
Today two new additions:
Nine Days Wonder in Art-Rock added by Hugues
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2730
Here is their bio:
Formed as far back as 66, this group recorded their wild debut album (between Zappa, Soft Machine, Crimson and Purple, if you can picture that!!) as a fairly international quintet (4 different nationalities between the five of them) before breaking up the following year, with their sax player, John Earle joining Gnidrolog for their classic Lady Lake. Singer-drummer Seyffer then joined the group Medusa, which soon became the second line-up of NDW and by the start of 73, they were recording their We Never Lost Control, which was more conventional prog (Nektar comes to mind). NDW stayed a very unstable unit with their straight rock album Only The Dancer recorded as a quartet in England and on which VdGG’s Jackson guests on a few tracks. The group’s last album Sonnet To Billy Frost was a press-dismissed British-sounding rock opera.

The other band added is Spinetta Jade in Symphonic added by Geck0
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2731
fter the split of his band Invisible in 1977, Luis Alberto Spinetta formed the band
SPINETTA JADE, which focused on a more complex sound compositionally, yet used aspects of Invisible and Almendra (Spinetta's first band).

They released their debut album on 3 May 1980, called Alma de Diamante, an album that set a precedence in Argentina at the time. They later participated in a legendary concert on 12/13 September 1980 with the iconic Argentinean band Serú Girán, led by the national rock legend and national patrimony Charly Garcia, which many people believe was the best rock on stage performance in Argentinean history. It also calmed fans who thought Spinetta and Garcia had musically differing tastes and did not especially appreciate each other; this was not the case.

In 1980, Spinetta briefly reformed Almendra, released an album and then split up again. Spinetta continued on with Spinetta Jade as well, and both bands performed at the Festival de La Falda February 1981.

In December 1981, Spinetta Jade released their second album Los Niños Que Escriben En El Cielo; Spinetta then decided to release a couple of solo albums, so the band went into a temporary hiatus until 1983, when they released Bajo Belgrano.

In 1984, the band released their fourth and final album Madre en Años Luz. The band played material from this album in concerts arranged by the Municipalidad de Buenos Aires and performed their last concert for 20,000 fans at Luna Park (with Pedro Aznar, formally of Serú Girán guesting) in May 1985

The prolific musician later formed Spinetta y los Socios del Desierto, who released four albums from 1996 to 1998, this band also became another legend in the austral country.

Spinetta has disolved the band to focus in his solo career, having released a total of 16 albums since 1971.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 14:16
Another addition.
A few months back I suggested adding Vytas Brenner to PA and passed it on to the Symh team.
Today after much work, Geck0 added them here:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2732

VYTAS BRENNER was a German born Venezuelan pianist, keyboardist and composer. His career started in the late 1960s and released his first album (of nine in total) in 1973. His music took Latin American rhythms, as well as from unique Venezuelan tradition and combined them with Progressive Rock, to create delightful Symphonic prog, with elements of fusion, space rock and acoustic folk.

VYTAS BRENNER was born in Tübingen, Germany on September 19, 1946, but moved with his family to Venezuela in 1949, at the age of 2. When he was 12, his family moved to Italy, then later Spain and finally ended in United States, where he studied Music at the University of Tennessee, graduating in 1972.

He returned to Venezuela the same year and became an important musician on the national music scene. Vocals on his albums are mostly in Spanish. His brother Haakon Brenner produced his first album and was an executive producer on “Hermanos” and “Jayeche”.

Vytas released an EP “Brenner's Folk” (recorded while he was resident in Spain and featuring his brother Haakon Brenner, as well as Jordi Soler and Jordi Barange) in the late 1960s and formed the VYTAS BRENNER QUARTET.

In 1973, VYTAS BRENNER recorded a 45 EP with Maria Fernanda Márquez, called “Con Vytas y Mafe”.

His debut album “La Ofrenda de Vytas” was released in 1973, which introduces to a mix of different styles, with a lot of folk music influence. He assembled a band for this album (and the following also) which was apparently known as OFRENDA (Offering). There was much less synthesizer work on this album, but this would fully develop on later albums, this release is still mostly symphonic in sound, with wonderful guitar playing by Pablo Manavello (as was the case on all his albums until 1978 release “Ofrenda”).

Vytas worked with Pablo Manavello who was an Italian born prolific guitarist, who was well known for his participation with many Venezuelan bands and musician’s , as well as going solo from 1979 and producing.

His next album was “Hermanos”, released in 1974 which continued on in a similar vein to the previous releases, again mixing Latin American themes with intelligently composed Symphonic Prog. There were even more musicians on this album, including Caracas born drummer, Iván Velásquez, who would remain with Brenner until his 1983 album “Vytas”. Rolando Briceño (born in Caracas) was brought in for saxophone for the Hermanos album.

Further lineup changes were made for his 1975 album “Jayeche” (as well as a change of record company to Discomoda), with dube percussion, being employed. Carlos Acosta remained on bass (he’d been there from the first album), as well as Manavello and Velásquez.

1977 Brought Brenner’s first live album, “En Vivo! Ofrenda” which was also his first double LP. His live output was even more exciting and the band often focused in long jams.

Percussion was a very strong aspect with Brenner’s sound (think of some of the rhythm section in Santana albums and Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac live version of Green Manalishi.), which often made them an awe-inspiring band to appreciate live. The album was recorded at five different venues, all in Venezuela, Maracaibo, Maracay, Caracas (2 venues) and Barquisimeto. By this time Brenner was becoming more popular outside of Venezuela, as this album was mixed in Miami by Jack Adams. This LP also brought in the percussionist Felipe “Mandingo” Rengifo.

In 1978 the same band that recorded the double live LP “En Vivo! Ofrenda” (with the inclusion of Luis Oliver on Piano and Clavinet), recorded the album “Ofrenda”. This was the final release with the OFRENDA band, although it's classified as a solo album, as the band officially split after En Vivo!

At this point, his music changed style and moved away from the progressive style and moved into the realms of pop, funk and soul.

In 1981, Brenner released an album on Polydor, named “I Belong”, but this was still recorded in Caracas,. All track titles are in English (for the first and only time). Paulette Dozier assists on vocals.

After this album, the next 3 releases would feature more musicians than ever, as well as backing vocals (and a return to the label Discomodo). The song writing would be shared with Linda Lepage on “I Belong “ (1981) and “Estoy Como Quiero” .(1982).

In 1983, Brenner released his album “Vyta”s, again featuring a larger lineup. At this point, only Iván Velásquez and Carlos “Nené” Quintero remained from previous albums. His next album would be a complete about turn.

In 1986 he released a self-produced “El Vals Del Mar”, featuring new versions of his songs from previous albums, performed solely by himself on keyboards, acoustic guitar and vocals.

He returned to a band format, for his 1993 album “Amazonia” (first on CD). Brenner used only keyboards and sequencers on this entirely instrumental release, featuring flute and soprano sax without drums (although Carlos “Nene” Quintero” returned on percussion). This was a return to form and was much closer to be considered a World Music effort than his 1980s output.

In 1994, a VYTAS BRENNER compilation of past work, called “Lo Máximo de Vytas”, was released. This consisted of tracks from “Jayeche”, “En Vivo!” and “Ofrenda”.

VYTAS BRENNER sadly died of a heart attack on March 18, 2004 in Salzburg, Austria, leaving 9 albums of wonderful music as his legacy. He was preparing new material with Felipe Rengifo before his sudden death.

If you like intelligent and unpretentious symphonic progressive rock, with interesting synthesized sounds, some of which are quite avant-garde, then VYTAS BRENNER will appeal to you. If you also love Latin American music and a lot of percussion, again, VYTAS BRENNER will appeal to you. There is a lot of aspects to his music that should appeal to most music fans. His original LP’s are also quite collectable, so can fetch good prices. A much neglected musician that should be heard.

I can recommend his two releases called
La Ofrenda de Vytas (1973) and Hermanos (1974)

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 19:39
Thanks Assaf.  Both discographies are now complete (as far as I can tell).

Edited by Geck0 - November 30 2006 at 21:55
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 23:25
Memoriance have now been added under Symphonic Prog.  Thank you to the Symphonic team, as well as Geck0, for the biography and album additions.

Clap

Assaf will now tell you more. Wink

Also, The Gift, a new symphonic prog band from England, have also been added.  Thanks to Erik Neuteboom for suggesting them and thanks to the Symphonic Prog team for adding them (again Geck0 wrote the bio and added the album).

Big smile

Edited by Geck0 - December 01 2006 at 00:44
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 01:42
Rainbow have just been added to Prog Related by yours truly...

*runs for cover*Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 01:46
Run to the hills...

Oops, wrong band. Wink

Nice one Raffaella. Thumbs Up

Edited by Geck0 - December 01 2006 at 01:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>