FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAsia@Glasgow Carling Academy,30 Nov 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asia@Glasgow Carling Academy,30 Nov 2006
    Posted: December 01 2006 at 04:22
It was the return of the original line-up of Wetton, Howe, Palmer and Downes. All a bit older than the first time around (some 25 years ago!!), but still able to put on a great show.

The band played everything from the first Asia album, plus as Gunnery Sgt Palmer (what a haircut!) informed the audience, a few musical treats for each band member's past.

Howe's "treat" was Roundabout, which I have to say they could probably do with practicing a little more. Steve also did "Mood For A Day" on acoustic. This was the 4th time I'd seen Steve Howe in concert, the first since the early 1980s. Gone are the manic mannerisms and guitar solos, replaced by a very calm demenaor with conservation of movement. The odd little leg kick was about as wild as it got. Sartorially, Steve looked.....er.......colourful? A pair of half-moon glasses topped off an ensemble of multi-coloured shirt and powder blue trousers into which his wife had ironed a lovely crease down the front.

Wetton's moment featured "In the Court Of The Crimson King". John has put on the pounds over the years (this was made even more evident by the images of the band from their younger days which were constantly being projected on screens at the back of the stage), although he's still got some way to go to catch up to Greg Lake. Still, his voice remains one of my favourites in the world of prog music.

For Downes, predictably, the band played "Video Killed The Radio Star", for which Geoffrey donned a silver sports jacket and shades. Nice.

And finally we come to Carl Palmer. It was the first time I'd ever seen Palmer live, and for me he was the undoubted star of the show. He looks to have kept himself very fit, and still plays drums with a great deal of power and drive. Most importantly, he was obviously having a great time! He was often stepping out from behind the kit to talk to the audience, introduce songs, etc. The first half of the gig closed with a kick-ass version of "Fanfare For The Common Man", which Carl pushed along in great style.

All in all, an excellent gig! Thumbs Up In recent years, Glasgow has seen a few mid-size venues open up, and its made a great difference to the music scene in the city. Only a few short years ago, the venue choice was limited to pubs, the plush Royal Concert Hall, or the barn-like Scottish Exhibition Centre. Now, with venues like the Carling Academy, ABC, The Arches and The Garage on the map, bands and artists finally have places to go where they know they'll be able to play to a full house, and enjoy the atmosphere that goes with that.

Edited by Norm Cash - December 04 2006 at 05:52

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 04:47

The original Asia line up visited the Carling Academy in Glasgow on St Andrews day (well done John Wetton for remembering!) This was the third leg of the UK part of their extensive tour. The venue was well filled with an enthusiastic audience, who while predominantly males of a certain age, included young and old of both sexes.

The set focused on the band's first album from 1982, from which all the tracks were performed. At regular intervals though, feature spots focused on the legacies of the band members. This we had band performances of "Roundabout" (Steve Howe, Yes), "Fanfare for the common man" (Carl Palmer, ELP), "In the Court of the crimson king" (from John Wetton later membership of King Crimson), and "Video killed the radio star" (Geoff Downes, Buggles). The latter was a highly spirited rendition, with Downes donning a glitter jacket and shades, and Wetton singing though a megaphone. Steve Howe also included "Clap" in his solo spot.

After a brief interval, the second half of the gig opened with an acoustic section featuring "The smile has left your eyes" and "Don't cry". Interesting too to hear a rendition of the rare B side "Ride easy" as the first encore number.

While Howe famously now bears the well worn appearance of someone who has toured the world since the 1960's, Carl Palmer retains the fresh faced demeanour of a student. His boundless energy behind his drum kit climaxed in a blistering drum solo of the type he used to perform with ELP in the early 1970's.

The band were clearly at ease with each other, and enjoying the opportunity to perform together before a highly appreciative audience. Three of there UK concerts, including this one, were recorded live and made available for purchase within 30 minutes of the end of the gig. How do they do that?!

In all, a highly enjoyable event. Hopefully the lads will get round to creating a new album in 2007. "Crimson king", Fanfare for the common man", "Roundabout"… of course Asia don't play prog!

Edited by Easy Livin - December 01 2006 at 04:54
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 03:50
Saw 'em last night in Shepherds Bush.

CP as ever fabulous with a superb drum solo, John Wetton's bass still powers out, Steve Howe is as good as ever. Geoff Downes is still, sadly, a buggle in my eyes. How this group could have rocked if Mr. Keith Emerson filled the keyboard role.

Sole Survivor was the only Asia track I really enjoyed. Fanfare was superb.

The show was recorded and I got a CD straight after and got all 4 members of the group to sign it. Had a quick chat with Carl, he really is a friendly bloke. No news on an ELP comeback though...
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 14:59
I must admit, I felt this was a rather money-grabbing reformation as the other guys in the old Asia line-up have been dumped. However, they have sorted themselves out just fine with a superb band and album in GPS (hope they last more than the one album), and this Asia reunion seems to be hugely popular. I saw a few pictures of one of the gigs- Carl Palmer has aged remarkably well!

As for the ELP reunion, I've heard varying accounts of Keith saying he and Carl were up for it but Greg wasn't, then Greg said he and Carl were up for it but Keith wasn't!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 15:18
You'd think Carl, would be good enough to tell Nutteralert first though, wouldn't you!LOL

Not sure about the money making side of it Salmacis. I'm sure Steve for example could make more money sitting at home than playing to 1000 on a wet and windy night in Glasgow. I got the impression things between Payne and Downes had taken a downward turn anyway.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 16:31
I was at the Shephard Bush gig as well.Carl is amazing still.Having seen him for the fourth time in about 3 years its quite clear he's having a second lease of life! The solo is very powerfull as well as 'sh*t off a shovel' fast as always.
I was also impressed with JW who despite his bulk sung superbly and coped well with a whole range of songs.Not a bad bass player either.Quite a talent is our John.
Steve did is usual thing and didn't say much or hardly ever acknowledge even the other members in the band.Fantastic player though.A guitar legend.
And that leaves ole Geoff.Unfortunatley I thought his keys were too low in the mix (I always think that though at any gig other than Keith EmersonBig smile) and when it came to the blistering hammond solo in The Heat Goes On ..it just came and went.That should have been his moment but I couldn't tell to be honest.
Overall a great show even of they did pack us in like sardines and it was hard for most people standing to see much unless they were over 6 foot (thankfully I could see the bands faces as I'm 6ft 3in).
Look forward to next year..but book Hammersmth Appollo please!!
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 10:37
Yes EL, my post didn't say that my opinion had shifted on the suspicion that it was a money spinner. I'd since realised that things between Downes and Payne weren't rosy- I heard that at first Downes was going to continue with the guys now in GPS after the original line up tour, but that fell through. I imagine some acrimony occured along the way...At least both parties seem to be settled again.

Edited by salmacis - December 05 2006 at 10:38
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 09:02
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

You'd think Carl, would be good enough to tell Nutteralert first though, wouldn't you!LOL

Not sure about the money making side of it Salmacis. I'm sure Steve for example could make more money sitting at home than playing to 1000 on a wet and windy night in Glasgow. I got the impression things between Payne and Downes had taken a downward turn anyway.

LOL Yes, I was hoping I might get a scoop. Bit of an indelicate question really as he was sitting next to steve Howe at the time. I guess he'll call me as soon as ELP have made up their minds.

It's funny about people saying they will never work with each other anymore. I recently read in Edward Macan's excellent 800-page book about ELP that CP said he would never work with Geoff Downes again after he pulled out of Quango a few years ago. 
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 16:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

And that leaves ole Geoff.Unfortunatley I thought his keys were too low in the mix (I always think that though at any gig other than Keith EmersonBig smile) and when it came to the blistering hammond solo in The Heat Goes On ..it just came and went.That should have been his moment but I couldn't tell to be honest.
Overall a great show even of they did pack us in like sardines and it was hard for most people standing to see much unless they were over 6 foot (thankfully I could see the bands faces as I'm 6ft 3in).

I too was at Shephers Bush and also thought Geoff Downes was too low in the mix! He also hit a few 'duff' notes on the 'non-Asia' tunes!

I was up on level one and had a great viewBig smile

They all seemed to be getting along and Wetton said he'd 'see us all next year'. Seeing that the tour was well attended with some shows selling out, I think there is room for at least another tour and album!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:51
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I too was at Shephers Bush and also thought Geoff Downes was too low in the mix! He also hit a few 'duff' notes on the 'non-Asia' tunes!

I was up on level one and had a great viewBig smile

They all seemed to be getting along and Wetton said he'd 'see us all next year'. Seeing that the tour was well attended with some shows selling out, I think there is room for at least another tour and album!

Didn't notice the duff notes because I couldn't hear them. LOL

I felt a bit envious of those upstairs...next time I'm booking a balcony seatBig smile
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 17:56
Did somebody take some pictures of the guys during this show?
C'est la vie
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 10:25
Carl Palmer [dressed in a penguin suit] presented the annual BOTY awards last night for the Classic Rock Society. He said it was highly unlikely ELP would perform but was far more optismistic about ASIA'a future. He said everyone was getting along well and one of the forthcoming shows in Japan will be recorded for DVD. Also said that they will be touring though next year with some more UK dated planned for the end of the year. BTW, he said the Wolverhampton gig was the best they played on the whole tour!
 Post Reply Post Reply