Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLos Jaivas or Jethro Tull?...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Wich one do you like more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [34.72%]
47 [65.28%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Los Jaivas or Jethro Tull?...
    Posted: March 14 2008 at 23:11
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

What is this, a joke?

a joke?... a joke? ... depends....

maybe the joke is in the results LOL

spoken by those with far more brains than I'll ever have  hahhaha

Minstrel In The Gallery

by JETHRO TULL

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

<

Review

philippe
(Philippe Blache)
Special Collaborator Content Development & Krautrock Team
1%20stars The pinnacle of Jethro Tull's crappy pop folk production! This album is a "b*****dization" of authentic folk music. It only features cheesy pop ballads for Christmas days. The snobbish accent of Ian Anderson has never been so painful. The self title track is a conventional, almost puritan "Christian" folk ballad. Same remark for "Cold Wind Valhalla" with its very cheap atmosphere. "Black Satin Dancer" is a symphonic, pseudo neo classical song: one more time it's too naive and gentle. No surprise with the rest of the album. For a better appreciation of prog folk tapestries of sound I advise listeners to go on the medieval, pagan inflected and acid folk side of Teutonic bands: notably Parzival and Ougenweide. This band really need to re-learn the basics before serving the mass with common mediocrity. Musically speaking the band died after his original bluesy folk fusion (this was / stand up)

god I love that man LOL

Edited by micky - March 14 2008 at 23:12
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 23:04
I have never been able to get into Los Jaivas. I personally don't like the vocals. It's partly that the style isn't favorable to my tastes, but I also felt like they were weak and the melodies weren't that captivating or even enjoyable. The instrumental portions of their music are decent, but they lack the vigor and tightness of Tull's work. Also, I think Tull's compositional merit is way beyond Los Jaivas'. Then I am also partial to albums with better production, with which Tull is clearly superior, even though I'm sure it's not entirely Los Jaivas' fault that they couldn't have better production. So both objectively and subjectively Tull wins by a mile.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
rubenm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 13:28
Los Jaivas by far. We can say that Jethro Tull has some really great albums, maybe even 1or 2 Masterpieces. But in Los Jaivas we can count 4 Masterpieces: El Indio (1975), Alturas de Macchu Picchu (1981), Obras de Violeta Parra (1984), Mamalluca (1999). And other great albums like Cancion del Sur, Sueños de América, or Aconcagua. I think Los Jaivas were more original, and they experimented more. Prove of that is their purely synphonic album Mamalluca. Tull is a really great group, and they have an amazing album, but Los Jaivas not only has richiest compositions, they also were a lot better performers. I mean I think we all can agree that the voice in Tull is not so powerfull, and it doesnt risk to much. But in Los Jaivas the voice is amazing, one of the greatest voives that ive ever heard. Also the pianist is incredible, the same with the bass and the drums (that must be one of the greatest drums of prog music, or of music in general, always doing what he has to do, always exact and powerfull).

sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 10:20
Surely Los Jaivas became an essential place in our progressive folk. But, as Iván said, Los Jaivas couldn't resist a comparison with Jethro Tull... They are simply terrific. Sorry compadres, my vote goes for Tull Smile

(En todo caso, Tenken.... jaja.... se podría decir que Jethro es una de las siete maravillas de la música progresiva LOL)
Proglodita View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 12:29
OK. Los Jaivas.

1. JT has some songs I really don't like, like Crosed-eyed Mary or Songs from Jeffrey, but with Los Jaivas isn't this wait, except for the "Si tú no estás" album.
2. Between their bests works, I slightly prefer Thick As a Brick than Alturas the Macchu Picchu.
3. I love all the instrumentation by Los Jaivas.

In sum, my vote went to Los Jaivas.
P
Proglodita View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 20:39
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

What doe Los Jaivas sound like?, do they incorporate Chillian folk music in their sound or something?, if so I'm curious, I like the idea of folk prog bands from non english spreaking world including their national/local folk sound in the music

In fact they are considered here in Chile for many people as a folk band, not a rock one.

You have songs since La Poderosa Muerte to Mambo de Machaguay, very proggy and not prog (neither rock) at all, respectivly. What you always find are lots of instrument, flute, charango, ocarina, trutruca, etc.

My vote? I really don't know. I can't vote yet, but...GO CHILE!

Edited by Proglodita - May 06 2007 at 20:41
P
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 19:33
What doe Los Jaivas sound like?, do they incorporate Chillian folk music in their sound or something?, if so I'm curious, I like the idea of folk prog bands from non english spreaking world including their national/local folk sound in the music

Novalis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 19:24
Tull, but to be honest haven't heard much of Los Jaivas (mainly because their albums are pretty hard find).
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 16:09
Hey T, have you heard "Obras de Violeta Parra" yet?
Bigger on the inside.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 13:48
I love Los Jaivas, mostly "Alturas de Macchu Picchu" but they hardly resist a compariso with Jethro Tull.

Los Jaivas ar not as influential, trascendental, versatile or an important part of Progressive Rock as Jethro Tull.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Iván

Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 10:09
Jethro Tull
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 04:29
Although Jethro Tull is much more important in general history of prog, I have voted for Los Jaivas to keep the distance short - and Jethro Tull are SO great that it can't hurt their role in history
yet you still have time!
Kurpij View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 21:59
Wow,good question
I must say jethro  tull
But i love both

"Se extraña al Gato"Cry 
Tenken View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2006 at 13:42
Originally posted by Sublimación Sublimación wrote:

i think, "la poderosa Muerte" is one of the best`s Chilean, and world songs ever.  i recomend it to all the people that don`t now them. Los Jaivas "las alturas de Machupichu" is a record based on a Pablo Neruda`s poem. (if you don`t no who is Pablo Neruda you no nothing about poetry) 

really I think that Neruda is more known than Los Jaivas, but that's another topic Smile
¡¡El Rocanrol no morirá jamás!!
Sublimación View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2006 at 11:18
i think, "la poderosa Muerte" is one of the best`s Chilean, and world songs ever.  i recomend it to all the people that don`t now them. Los Jaivas "las alturas de Machupichu" is a record based on a Pablo Neruda`s poem. (if you don`t no who is Pablo Neruda you no nothing about poetry) 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 23:03
Originally posted by Tenken Tenken wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by peter_gabriel peter_gabriel wrote:

at least we know that if the two bands were equally known, los jaivas could win

Could be, judging from the replies it's a pretty even split.  I consider both equally good in their own ways, but since I'm newer to Los Jaivas I find them more exciting. Okay, it's more than that.  Los Jaivas' style appeals more to me.  I like the exoticness, to my ear, of the folk elements.

I'm far more familiar with Tull as I only know the Alturas... album (which is their highest-rated here anyway).  Some might be voting who don't even know one full album by Jaivas (or just the streaming song at this site).  It would be rather pointless to vote if one didn't know any of both bands' work.

I'm sure some prefer to vote for the underdog, and I wouldn't be surprised is there's more than one vote here deliberately against Jethro Tull by people who barely know Los Jaivas.

Now, the outcome might have been different for me if the British Prog Folk representative was Gryphon...  I REALLY like Gryphon (and have for many years).

For those who don't know Los Jaivas, they should check out the excellent streaming mp3 at this site HERE.  I don't think Jethro Tull came out with any records nearly as good as Alturas in the 80's.  I haven't heard LJ's 70's output, so I can't compare it personal-quality-wise to JT's 70's albums.

Quite interesting what you say because I didn't even know that Los Jaivas were so known in other Counties so far.

I really thought that Jethro Tull was going to win for much much more because obviously they are more famous and more popular than Los Jaivas but I've been sorprised.Clap

Anyway, I like Both Bands, they are Great!!!

Not generally well-known, or known at all by most, but pretty well-known and well-respected by serious Progheads -- this  international Prog community (ProgArchives) having many serious Progheads who know their Prog.

Great band, and well-liked by quite a few at this site that I know of -- this is my, and others, Progressive world now, and it has no borders.

They have two albums in the Prog Folk 20 key studio albums list, that's some good loving.  They deserve it.
Tenken View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 21:58

I cant believe Los Jaivas has 10 votes against 14 of jethro tull... GO CHILE!!LOL

jaja yeah compadre!! now they are 15 against 22, even this "score" it's too much for Los Jaivas I think!!LOL  I thought Jethro was gonna Rush!!! jajaja LOL

(esta custión es como cuando votamos por los "moais" de la isla de pascua pa las 7 maravillas del mundo jaja)

Edited by Tenken - December 12 2006 at 21:34
Tenken View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 21:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

at least we know that if the two bands were equally known, los jaivas could win

Could be, judging from the replies it's a pretty even split.  I consider both equally good in their own ways, but since I'm newer to Los Jaivas I find them more exciting. Okay, it's more than that.  Los Jaivas' style appeals more to me.  I like the exoticness, to my ear, of the folk elements.

I'm far more familiar with Tull as I only know the Alturas... album (which is their highest-rated here anyway).  Some might be voting who don't even know one full album by Jaivas (or just the streaming song at this site).  It would be rather pointless to vote if one didn't know any of both bands' work.

I'm sure some prefer to vote for the underdog, and I wouldn't be surprised is there's more than one vote here deliberately against Jethro Tull by people who barely know Los Jaivas.

Now, the outcome might have been different for me if the British Prog Folk representative was Gryphon...  I REALLY like Gryphon (and have for many years).

For those who don't know Los Jaivas, they should check out the excellent streaming mp3 at this site HERE.  I don't think Jethro Tull came out with any records nearly as good as Alturas in the 80's.  I haven't heard LJ's 70's output, so I can't compare it personal-quality-wise to JT's 70's albums.

Quite interesting what you say because I didn't even know that Los Jaivas were so known in other Counties so far.

I really thought that Jethro Tull was going to win for much much more because obviously they are more famous and more popular than Los Jaivas but I've been sorprised.Clap

Anyway, I like Both Bands, they are Great!!!

Tenken View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 21:45
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

That's the problem with Prog Folk being so wide, Jethro Tull, has pastoral British music with some Celtic leanings and Los Jaivas played pure Andean music, there's no connection and no way to compare them.

Both are great in their own and particular style.

Iván

Exactly!! you're right, but judging with their difernt Styles and same clasification, I think they surely can be compared, each one with their own characteristics. But anyway I know their sound is very different and that makes it more interesting. Embarrassed
peter_gabriel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

What is this, a joke?

No its not a joke... See aboveEmbarrassed GO CHILEAngry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>