Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins: Serious Discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 20:29
I listened to Hello, It Must Be Going today, and although it's not prog, doesn't mean it's not great music. Really enjoy those early solo albums of his.

E
rainbow111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 22:31
you always hear people naysaying Phil for changing Genesis-but I prefear him on vocals-I never cared for Peter Gabriel...
His solo career was a little odd but I love his time with Genesis
nuff said from me
It's got to be slow
Taking love the only way
It's got to just flow
Making love and taking time to let it grow
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 09:14
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I listened to Hello, It Must Be Going today, and although it's not prog, doesn't mean it's not great music. Really enjoy those early solo albums of his.

E

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

An excellent point. If Collins wanted to make a Prog album, he would have, right? Does him making a Pop album minimize his abilities to write Prog? No. In fact, it shows how talented he is.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 09:17

E

Me too, and even though HIMBG is not as innovative as Face Value, it is a very good album. Well balanced.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 09:28
Agreed. It's oftentimes a toss up on which disc I like better between Hello and Face, but I might just dial up Face Value on iTunes today. I love that entire disc, but side two just punches me in the face. A couple of very emotive ballads ("You Know What I Mean" and "If Leaving Me Is Easy") mixed in with well structured and impeccably produced pop songs like "Thunder And Lightning" (Love that tune).

"Hand In Hand", I feel, has some good progressive tendencies that's not unlike Peter Gabriel's solo material.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 09:33

I also like the Droned / Hand in Hand section a lot. I think the first two Collins albums are my favourites. A lot of good songs.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 09:36
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I also like the Droned / Hand in Hand section a lot. I think the first two Collins albums are my favourites. A lot of good songs.

If you get his But Seriously...Live DVD, they start off the show with "Hand In Hand" and it simply smokes.

Say what you want about Phil, but the guy puts on a fantastic show. I saw him on the No Jacket Required Tour and it was fantastic. Progressive or not, I've always liked Phil.

Now I'm getting in the mood to listen to it.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 09:43

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

If you get his But Seriously...Live DVD, they start off the show with "Hand In Hand" and it simply smokes.

Say what you want about Phil, but the guy puts on a fantastic show. I saw him on the No Jacket Required Tour and it was fantastic. Progressive or not, I've always liked Phil.

Now I'm getting in the mood to listen to it.

E

I agree, Phil is a very good solo artist. But Seriously Live, you say? Thanks for the tip.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 15:42
Yeah, 'Face Value' is nothing short of a classic and if you look at the reviews of the time, gained genuine plaudits from the music journalists. It's very varied, with some R & B in 'I Missed Again' and 'Thunder And Lightning', rock with 'In The Air Tonight', jazz fusion with 'Droned' and 'Hand In Hand' (check out Weather Report's album 'Black Market' to hear the inspiration in sound on those two songs, though), roots/folk with 'The Roof Is Leaking', and some smooth ballads with 'You Know What I Mean' (one of Phil's best ever songs) and 'If Leaving Me Is Easy'. Could live without the covers of 'Behind The Lines' (the Genesis original is better to my ears) and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' (adds little to the original Beatles one) but otherwise, it's excellent all the way through.Thumbs%20Up
UncleMeat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 16:07
Maybe we should admire Phil for being an artist with such a differentiated audience. His solo work is loved by lots of people, although I prefer the first two albums. And besides his excellent drumming and later singing with Genesis, he also showed his drumming skills on the Brand-X albums which I like very much but are not liked by the general public.

A few years ago I bought A Hot Night in Paris, a decent Big Band set up with lots of nice versions of solo or Genesis songs, alongside Pick up the Pieces and Milestones. Nice drumming, no singing

And he played the drums well on some of the Brian Eno records like Another Green World.

Maybe he should be punished for his musical stuff (Tarzan) (but that is coming from a Musical Hater Wink )

Edited by UncleMeat - April 06 2007 at 15:14
Music Is The Best
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 16:17
^Phil played on Brian Eno's 'Another Green World' as recompense for Eno working his magic on 'The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging' on 'The Lamb...' I believe.
clairvoyant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:18
Genesis is great, Peter Gabriel is great, and so is Phil Collins.

Why can't we love them all?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:31
Originally posted by clairvoyant clairvoyant wrote:

Genesis is great, Peter Gabriel is great, and so is Phil Collins.

Why can't we love them all?

Clap Your opinion fits your name, Clairvoyant Thumbs%20Up
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:37
Well, as the only one here I think that has actually given the boy a chance, Big%20smile, I will tell you my opinions about three Phil Collins' albums I happen to own... EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed:

PC - Hits...   A great collection of his greatest hits, which of course are mostly pure pop/rock but good pop/rock at that... Some of his hits are really good... if not prog

PC - Face Value - An underrated album, very good. In the air tonight is a fantastic pop-rock song, and about 50% of the disc is actually pretty enjoyable. One can even say that some hints (read: hints, you need a magnifying glass and a CIA degree to detect them) of Genesis are still there...

PC - No jacket required - This one is closer to a DUD. I mean, it has a couple decent hits (number), it has the most... whatever lyrics in history (sussudio... what the f**k is that about?... Somebody told me but I just...can't take it) but the rest sounds like Invisible touch all over again... but better. Yes, Genesis was so bad in InTOuch, that Collins' pop songs are much better.

And, of course, Easy Lover, his hit with Bailey that truly is one of the coolest songs ever...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Well, as the only one here I think that has actually given the boy a chance, Big%20smile,

No, man, it actually turns out in this thread that half of the forum digs him LOL . Nice mini-reviews by the way.

One of the things that I like about Collins is that he really has an enormous talent for writing melodies. On the other hand, I wished that he'd stayed adventurous as an artist. I wished that he would stretch some boundaries more. People like Billy Joel, Sting, Elton John and Paul Simon, who also have this giant  talent for writing melodies, were always looking for other musical influences.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:46
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.
Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. 
In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. 
Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. 
Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. 
But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:49
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.
Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. 
In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. 
Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. 
Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. 
But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Seems you're an American Psycho fan Wink

You omited some sections:

1. Christy, take off your robe
  2. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.
  3. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your a$$ 

LOLLOLLOL

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 05 2007 at 17:53

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Seems you're an American Psycho fan Wink

Ahhhh... took some time to sink in LOL
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 18:00
I skipped over the rude bits, my mother said I shouldn't be reading such horrible lewd things until I'm all grown up :F
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 02:22

I skipped over the rude bits, my mother said I shouldn't be reading such horrible lewd things until I'm all grown up :F

I guess she said nothing about WRITTING horrible words. LOL

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>