FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Home Speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 03:11

About multiplugs, it's maybe because aluminium is amagnetic.

"A gold rule is to separate your CD from the rest."

Because digital devices feature die-cutting power alimentations which have the characteristic to pollute a lot by reinjecting electric pollution to the other devices within the system.

Edited by oliverstoned - December 22 2006 at 03:18
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 12:17
I use a pair of these Deuvel Bella Lunas, a somewhat unusual unidirectional design:

Specifications:
Cross-sectional view:

I was sceptical until I listened...but after a couple of hours in the listening room I knew I'd found my "for life" speakers.  After four years the relationship is still going strong!
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 07:03
very pretty - but do they rock'n'roll?? Confused
LOL

i changed mine again - castle severn 2 se ....(they really do rock'n'roll!)

Edited by mystic fred - January 03 2007 at 07:10
Prog Archives Tour Van
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 07:09

Good choice! Castle is a nice brand!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 11:16
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

very pretty - but do they rock'n'roll?? Confused
LOL

Oh they can rock'n'roll OK - though the design does mean you can't put your head right in the bass driver for that mosh pit effect Wink

i changed mine again - castle severn 2 se ....(they really do rock'n'roll!)

Nice.  Wlll these be keepers then?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 02:05
^^^for the time being they will.....Wink

Prog Archives Tour Van
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 18:25
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I use a pair of these Deuvel Bella Lunas, a somewhat unusual unidirectional design:

Specifications:

Cross-sectional view:

I was sceptical until I listened...but after a couple of hours in the listening room I knew I'd found my "for life" speakers.  After four years the relationship is still going strong!

Nice. They cost around US$ 10,000 don't they? For that price, they must be good.

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by Fitzcarraldo Fitzcarraldo wrote:

Nice. They cost around US$ 10,000 don't they? For that price, they must be good.

I don't know about US pricing but they were about £3000 UK when I bought them.  A real extravagance which I justified to myself by thinking that if I kept them for 30 years it wouldn't work out that expensive at £100 / year...rationalisation is a wonderful thing Smile.

They do sound fantastic (though speaker sound is very subjective of course...).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 13:18
    what amps are you driving them with?
Prog Archives Tour Van
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 16:59

what amps are you driving them with?

An integrated - Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3.  

Excuse fingerprints on the fascia, I should have wiped it before taking the picture...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:59
   ^^very nice!Clap

my old pair of beauties - Cyrus 2 with PSX power supply.

they don't muck about, no tone controls, great phono stage, loads of bass and sweet treble!

i have them connected up with Kimber power cables now. they may look ugly, but they rock!

Edited by mystic fred - January 12 2007 at 12:17
Prog Archives Tour Van
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 17:56
^^Great British kit, Cyrus are vey underrated I think. And they came out with compact units long before it was the fashion.

Tone controls are for wimps.  A proper amp plays what's on the record and if you don't like it that's your problem!

I haven't yet explored the world of fancy power cables.  Do you find they make a big difference?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 02:18
they certainly seem to .....have a look at this, you will see things in a new light -

Sound Solutions

Prog Archives Tour Van
The-Bullet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 07:32

they certainly seem to .....have a look at this, you will see things in a new light -

That's like asking Jesus if he believes in God. There is no credible evidence that these make a difference !

"Why say it cannot be done.....they'd be better doing pop songs?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 14:39
Originally posted by The-Bullet The-Bullet wrote:

That's like asking Jesus if he believes in God. There is no credible evidence that these make a difference !

i've tried many of these cables and techniques and i assure you they DO work, they make a huge difference to the humblest equipment, the rest is down to personal preference.Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
The-Bullet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 15:36
    Anecdotal and subjective experiences do not count as evidence. From the research I've done (including my own audio tests) it seems that subjective opinion on this matter is split.However, there is still no scientific DB tests that show there is any detectable difference. Why don't these "high end" cable companies submit there wares to impartial double blind testing ?.They claim that the difference there cables make is enourmous, yet any tests that have been done show that the difference is imperceptable. BTW many people also feel better after taking sugar pills in medical tests...

"Why say it cannot be done.....they'd be better doing pop songs?"
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 17:57
^ absolutely ... even more so if the sugar pill cost them thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/etc..Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 01:56
Originally posted by The-Bullet The-Bullet wrote:

Anecdotal and subjective experiences do not count as evidence. From the research I've done (including my own audio tests) it seems that subjective opinion on this matter is split.However, there is still no scientific DB tests that show there is any detectable difference. Why don't these "high end" cable companies submit there wares to impartial double blind testing ?.They claim that the difference there cables make is enourmous, yet any tests that have been done show that the difference is imperceptable. BTW many people also feel better after taking sugar pills in medical tests...

i am not a qualified technician/reviewer, i am only an ordinary music lover with an open mind keen on  getting the best out of my system,  and i have heard many claims, fads and fashions over the years, many ridiculous, though cable technology is not "high end", it is based on plain common sense and works on even the most simple equipment, most improvements claimed made by manufacturers of "expensive" cables involve cancelling various forms of interference and impedance which ruins the sound of good equipment - even a portable DAB radio!  Impartial blind testing, or A/B/C/D comparison,  is not really a good way to judge sound and music - it is art, after all, and such tests depend on people's personal sound preferences and emotional reaction to the music, the only way to do it is set up the mains and signal cables in your home for a few weeks with your favourite music and a comfy chair and be amazed at the advance in quality of sound immediately, then everything needs time to settle in (or "burn in"), your ear soon gets accustomed to the improved sound so then you might be looking for more improvements - if not you can send the whole lot back for a refund, though the improvements are so obvious i don't think anybody would.  the differences are obvious, though not enormous, but easily justify the cost of the basic lower priced cables and connectors (£50 - 100 for one interconnect, mains cable or pair of speaker leads)  - power supply (new sockets) and room acoustics have an effect on sound quality so free improvements there  are a worthwhile starting point.  As for high-end stuff, i've hardly ever heard any so i can only comment on what i've actually heard with my own budget system.

try out these cables and interconnects for a couple of months, then tell me your opinion!Wink

Edited by mystic fred - January 19 2007 at 02:38
Prog Archives Tour Van
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 03:05
Originally posted by mystical fred mystical fred wrote:

Impartial blind testing, or A/B/C/D comparison,  is not really a good way to judge sound and music - it is art ...

That's ridiculous. The art is in the music, not in the sound ... sound is just an acoustic or electronic signal.

Impartial blind testing is the *only* way to verify the claims made by the manufacturers (and users) of audiophile equipment. Of course it fails, and of course (knowing that it will fail) they refuse these tests.

The "art", the enjoyment, the "metaphysical" qualities of the music are created in our minds, not in the gear.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 03:34
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by mystical fred mystical fred wrote:

Impartial blind testing, or A/B/C/D comparison,  is not really a good way to judge sound and music - it is art ...

That's ridiculous. The art is in the music, not in the sound ... sound is just an acoustic or electronic signal.

Impartial blind testing is the *only* way to verify the claims made by the manufacturers (and users) of audiophile equipment. Of course it fails, and of course (knowing that it will fail) they refuse these tests.

The "art", the enjoyment, the "metaphysical" qualities of the music are created in our minds, not in the gear.

...agreed, Mike, but our listening experience can be enhanced by hearing it at the quality as it was intended in the recording studio - that is almost impossible to achieve in the home, but you can try to get close as possible. Many albums i have heard in the 70's on poor equipment have had a new lease of life when heard to its full advantage nowadays, and even become favourites.

listening tests that are carried out in a hifi store listening room, in ideal conditions, are a far cry from hearing the same system in your own home - different room acoustics, furniture, noisy ring main, interference etc. all change the sound. I've never heard of a manufacturer refusing blind comparison tests, as they use these as a routine part of their research as for many other products such as chocolate and perfume (i've done some myself), but they only really reveal superficial differences as much is revealed over a much longer listening period at home.Smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>