Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed And Cambria: The real reasons !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coheed And Cambria: The real reasons !!!
    Posted: December 09 2006 at 22:50

Im listening to Good apollo burning star vol.4 by coheed and cambria for another time.

Since today i never try to understand why some people refuse to recognize them as progressive rock. But this time, i want to know. Listen to a song like The willing well I - Fuel for the feeding end and explain me why this band( who categorized themselves as progressive-rock ) are not still here.
And i know its not the first time a post like that is made.. btw, i know im not the only one who think like that. So please, explain me why !

Ohhh and why on last.fm, coheed are taged in big bold black PROGRESSIVE ROCK(Its listeners who tag bands)

sorry for my bad english....

Viva coheed !
And those who listen them during 5sec and said: Its emo f**king punk. YOU really miss something :P
2 Rights make 1 Wrong
Black Mog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 22:52
oh yeah.. and dont think the song i listed is the only one with progressive elements.. its only because its my favourite song by them !!!
2 Rights make 1 Wrong
YYZed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 00:49
Last FM users tagging a band as prog doesn't make it prog.

Neither does having prog influences.

C&C isn't prog.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 00:57
Actually Wikipedia classifies them as progressive rock (not that wiki is necessarily any great authority). I had 'In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth' and though I didn't keep it, it's a melodic, well-recorded blend of indie rock, metal and heavy prog.

Edited by Atavachron - December 10 2006 at 00:58
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 00:59
Co&Ca are prog.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 01:00
There's no way you can say that their most recent album isn't prog.  I don't necessarily find it to be very good, but it's about as prog as you can get.
Black Mog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 02:00
WOW YYZed... such a great example of good arguments... LOL
I suppose you didnt like dredg, mars volta, tool... the new prog stuff affraid you..
Your favorite band seems to be RUSH... i love rush so much.. and you know coheed is often compared to rush... LOL
Good luck with your evolution in prog music :P
2 Rights make 1 Wrong
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 02:19
^^

you won the argument, no sense in bashing the guy in
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 03:32
Are we done ranting about our favorite band that should be added yet?
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 04:56
I don't see them as being a prog act- prog related at the very best. The only prog act that seem to have had any influence on them is Rush, but even then it's mostly emo with those horrible whiny vocals that I detest. The only thing I can see that would really make them prog would be the fact they have done concept albums- that's it, really. And I've heard two of their albums and wasn't a huge fan of either, really.
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 05:34
If people consider them Prog they should be added, regardless of how progressive they really are.
I have never heard C&C but every article I read about them state them as Prog, last.fm and wikipedia are already mentioned.

If PA doesn't see them as truly progressive they are still worthy of a place as prog-related.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 07:52
Moved to "Suggest new bands / artists" Forum.

Please note that if a band arent included in the Archive and you want to discuss them you must start the thread in the Non-Prog Music Forum.

If you want to suggest someone for inclusion then use the Suggest new bands / artists Forum

Thanks.

Edited by Tony R - December 10 2006 at 07:56
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 07:56
Originally posted by Black Mog Black Mog wrote:

WOW YYZed... such a great example of good arguments... LOL

I suppose you didnt like dredg, mars volta, tool... the new prog stuff affraid you..

Your favorite band seems to be RUSH... i love rush so much.. and you know coheed is often compared to rush... LOL

Good luck with your evolution in prog music :P

Black Mog, your argument is that good either. Rush were compared to Led Zep and Led Zep weren't a Prog Band...

...however they have been included here as Prog-Related and I think that Coheed & Cambria have established those credentials at least.

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 11:41
Coheed & Cambria are not really Prog, although they have Prog moments. They would fit well in Prog Related. 
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 15:34
when they were on tour they came through my town and the newspaper had an article entitled "Progressing beyond Prog" about the progressive rock band Coheed and Cambria beginning to take new influences and not being as progressive.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 22:36
When I first came to this site I thought to myself "Where is Coheed?" but now that I have a better sense of the genre, I think they still belong here, but I'm leaning (49%-51%) towards prog related
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2006 at 00:03
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

When I first came to this site I thought to myself "Where is Coheed?" but now that I have a better sense of the genre, I think they still belong here, but I'm leaning (49%-51%) towards prog related

Yeah I would lean towards prog related as well. No one should get too upset that way either.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Xeroth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2006 at 20:18
I really, really, really, don't care for Coheed at all.  But I will not deny the fact that they have prog elements, their apollo album with the freakishly long name is prog elemented all throughout it.  I hang on related, but really nothing more.
I once was cool, but now I'm cold. Can you please turn up the heat.
ProgStage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 17:34
I have suggested the band be listed as well, and I was pretty shocked to find that people don't seem to want them listed. They are one of the core bands that got me to backtrack the whole genre and it's subgenres.

Anybody who says they aren't a Progressive Rock Band - Listen to "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV : Volume One : From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness".

If you listen to it the whole way through, you couldn't deny that the elements were there. I already consider the album to be a modern classic.

Reasons off the top of my head why they should be on this site:
The Science Fiction over-the-top but complex storyline (which run through all of their albums, the "saga" has already been set out, with a IV Pt. 2 and a prequel planned), the fully orchestrated intro of their latest album (Keeping The Blade), the complex time signatures in places (Apollo I + II), freak-out guitar solos obviously inspired by early Prog bands (Willing Well I - IV), and their epic songs which span all the way through their discography.

If I was to personally list them, it would be under Progressive Metal (although they have their soft and poppy songs, the essential part of them is their aggresive tracks which are extremely predominant in their latest album), at the very least Prog Related.

I'm a frequent user of this site and I am a big fan of Progressive music from the 70s all the way to the modern bands, and I say that Coheed & Cambria deserve their place on the site.

If bands like Radiohead and Muse are listed under Prog-related, then Coheed, at the least, should be too. I hope for them to be listed and for this to happen especially when their new album is released this year... It should act as further proof that the band should be credited on this site.

It's really not much to ask, I'd love to see it happen, I really would. I think it's unjust that they're not on this site, as many bands who don't nearly have as much the key element of progressive rock as Coheed do are listed on the site. I'm going to do all I can to help those who already agree with me on this.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 17:44

Just dont start a flame war when the naysayers chip in, eh? Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>