Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed And Cambria: The real reasons !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 02:57

this discussion has been running for nine months - are they being added??Confused

Prog Archives Tour Van
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 05:02
I guess not ... but the ball is in the court of the admin team, since the Art Rock team will probably reject them (don't know if they've already made a decision) and the only remaining choice is prog-related.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - August 08 2007 at 05:02
Shwang_Shwinga View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 14:03
I don't see why they wouldn't be prog-related. If MUSE made it, Co&Ca deserve it too. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 14:09
Come on! Rick Wakeman said it himself, Muse is 21st Century's prog (or semi-prog)... Hear the Rachmaninov-like chords, the multi-layered textures, the vocal harmonies, Muse (specially ABSOLUTION) is 190 times proggier than emo-MTV-teen band Co and Ca.... Muse's last album is kind of poppy, I have to say, but the previous release was nothing short of a masterpiece...
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 14:29
...so it goes on....Ermm
Prog Archives Tour Van
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 18:07
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^

1. It's not  a matter of "despise or love" for me ... I can like both bands and still say that one is prog and the other isn't (or is prog-related).

2. Three are using many advanced rhythmic concepts on their new album ... I haven't listened in great detail to Wake Pig or Keeping Secrets, but I listened to Good Apollo and found no "irregular" time signatures. I know that prog isn't all about time signatures, but it's a part of the equation.

All this makes me really want to get 3's new album LOL Keeping Secrets and Wake Pig are more even with each other I think, though IV is behind Keeping Secrets in terms of "progressiveness". Again, not making accusations here, it just sometimes seems like some people (moreso on other forums than this one) can be absolutely vicious when it comes to one specific band (if you want proof look at the Dream Theater thread on The Comatorium, it's a total massacre). Wake Pig at parts struck me as prog-related and others as full on prog, so I guess their most recent effort is a larger determinant.

back to Coheed, again, if you want proof of their "progressiveness" (or in their case prog-relatedness), Keeping Secrets is probably a better choice than their other 2 albums in terms of their candidacy. At this point I'm not advocating for either side of the argument, just presenting what I think would be more appropriate material to discuss for their inclusion (or against) than the majority of people seem to think (IV was in actuality a disappointing album for me)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 02:01
^ no problem ... I'll listen to Keeping Secrets again, it's been a while since I last listened to it.Smile
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:42

^

I was pro-inclusion before, but now I think I'm against it. There's prog influences there to me, but not enough even for PR. Anyway Mike, the title track and "2113" from In Keeping Secrets definitely have the most prog inclinations. Give special attention to them.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:58
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

^

I was pro-inclusion before, but now I think I'm against it. There's prog influences there to me, but not enough even for PR. Anyway Mike, the title track and "2113" from In Keeping Secrets definitely have the most prog inclinations. Give special attention to them.

Rush did 2112, which is 2113-1. Does that make In Keeping Secrets progressive? Tongue
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:08
SDome other member just said the "In keeping Secrets" is the proggiest album this band has released.... If that's true, I wonder how the LEAST prog album would be... Weezer? Fab Four? That album has TWO songs where it sounds KIND of prog.... nothing else...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

SDome other member just said the "In keeping Secrets" is the proggiest album this band has released.... If that's true, I wonder how the LEAST prog album would be... Weezer? Fab Four? That album has TWO songs where it sounds KIND of prog.... nothing else...

Your ear for prog must be very poor.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:18

There was a post made earlier that I'd like to refresh. There are some bands already in place here which are questionably Progressive. I see C&C exceeding them in Progness.

I do feel strongly that C&C are deserving a new genre called New Prog, or as I like to call it on Last.FM, Nu-Prog. I know Mike R. doesn't particularly care for the latter naming, and I respect his opinion. Regardless, there truly is a decent set of newer bands that while not fitting into Prog Metal or Art Rock, or the like, have definite Prog elements and deserve a nod from the Prog community because they write material that does not hit mainstream rock typically.

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 22:27
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Do you mean "which is the most embarrassing album that you listen to"?

Well,I listened to Coheed and Cambria's "In Keeping Secrets" album about 10 times so that I could be confident that they aren't a Prog band.

LOL that quote's from  August 2006, this debate has been going on for at least a year if not more....the eternal battle of Co&Ca

Edited by heyitsthatguy - August 11 2007 at 22:28

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 01:02
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

There was a post made earlier that I'd like to refresh. There are some bands already in place here which are questionably Progressive. I see C&C exceeding them in Progness.

I do feel strongly that C&C are deserving a new genre called New Prog, or as I like to call it on Last.FM, Nu-Prog. I know Mike R. doesn't particularly care for the latter naming, and I respect his opinion. Regardless, there truly is a decent set of newer bands that while not fitting into Prog Metal or Art Rock, or the like, have definite Prog elements and deserve a nod from the Prog community because they write material that does not hit mainstream rock typically.

Can you be a mod or something? You argue this Coheed thing a lot better than I do...maybe you should be the rep for this Co&Ca addition here.

I concur with you so much it hurts.
Or so much that you get a gold star Star
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 04:47
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I sympathize with this new genre, I just don't think that Coheed and Cambria are a very good representation of it. The award goes to ... Three! They not only have definite prog elements in a few songs - in fact their essence lies in these prog elements, and *that* is what makes them prog.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 13:52
After consideration by the Admin team, and reference to M@x, C&C have been approved for addition.

Who wants to do the addition then?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 16:42
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

After consideration by the Admin team, and reference to M@x, C&C have been approved for addition.

I will step up and do just that!
I have marked your inbox with the detailed request to allow me to addition them.

Words cannot describe how happy I am at this moment.
But smileys can Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

-SS
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by Shwang_Shwinga Shwang_Shwinga wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I will step up and do just that!
I have marked your inbox with the detailed request to allow me to addition them.

Words cannot describe how happy I am at this moment.
But smileys can Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

-SS

I figured you would step up to the plate and volunteer to add them SS.

Clap

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 20:52
Huzzah, they've finally broken on through to the other side
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 22:43
Frustrating... Well, it seems I'm always in the wrong side of these debates... I just hope they're added to the Related category... if this mtv-teen-emo band makes it to art-rock, Rush, Crimson, Anekdoten, and many more would really turn in their graves....

Wait, they're not dead...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>