FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeal Morse's new album "Sola Scriptura"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 15:44
I'm an atheist, I love South Park and I really enjoy listening to the latest Neal Morse albums. Go figure ... Big smile
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 15:56
Great news!

Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by akiko akiko wrote:

I think Neal Morse's record will be as anti-catholic as the movie The Passion of the Christ was anti-semitic.

The Passion of the Christ was not anti-semitic, was realistic, even the Jewish community accept they participated in the crucifixion of Christ.

I think that was his point - The Passion of the Christ wasn't actually anti-semitic, but it was (incorrectly) interpereted that way by some people. Likewise, the new Neal Morse album likely won't actually be anti-Catholic, but due to the nature of the subject matter, some people will undoubtedly think it is.

Edited by Ty1020 - December 19 2006 at 17:35
Littlewashu5 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 21:08
I'm kind of with Ivan here

I'm against "message" music in general (both of the religious and political kind). It's not a matter of disagreement as much as I don't like being preached to while listening to music. But I'm also a believer in free-speech, and don't have anything against artists releasing that type of music or people listening to it if that's what they're into

Edited by Littlewashu5 - December 19 2006 at 21:20
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 22:01
My problem is that I'm a Catholic, my sister also, I have no kids yet but already teaching my 4 years nephew the fundaments of Prog (with permission of my sister). 

Neither she as the mother or me as his uncle and Godfather want him listening a guy talking against my religion so I won't even introduce him to Neal Morse, but there are lots of kids non Reborn Christians that will be listening subliminal messages against the religions his fathers are entitled to teach them.

I would have the same opinion about a Catholic Prog Artist or a Political one.

Art must be free, not used as an instrument of indoctrination, if not, we're going back to the times of The German Nazis and the Stalinist USSR.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 19 2006 at 22:03

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 23:16

My problem is that I'm a Catholic, my sister also, I have no kids yet but already teaching my 4 years nephew the fundaments of Prog (with permission of my sister). 

Neither she as the mother or me as his uncle and Godfather want him listening a guy talking against my religion so I won't even introduce him to Neal Morse, but there are lots of kids non Reborn Christians that will be listening subliminal messages against the religions his fathers are entitled to teach them.

I would have the same opinion about a Catholic Prog Artist or a Political one.

Art must be free, not used as an instrument of indoctrination, if not, we're going back to the times of The German Nazis and the Stalinist USSR.

Iván

I wouldn't worry about it

In my experience the only people who buy openly political/religious music are people who have ALREADY been "indoctrinated" with said music's message

At least that's how it is in the US. I'm not sure how these kind of messages are perceived in other parts of the world
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 00:00
Originally posted by Littlewashu5 Littlewashu5 wrote:

In my experience the only people who buy openly political/religious music are people who have ALREADY been "indoctrinated" with said music's message

At least that's how it is in the US. I'm not sure how these kind of messages are perceived in other parts of the world

I do worry, I have a nephew in an English speaking country who listens rap and he's starting to call his sister bitch and having problems in school.

Most surely it's not the only cause, but the subliminal message of Gangsta rappers is already affecting him, the same goes with any message, if a kid listens that what the Catholic Church teaches him is wrong, he will receive part of his message and that IMHO is incorrect because we are entitled to transmit our Religion (Whicjh is part of our inheritance) to our kids.

Iván

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 00:29

I do worry, I have a nephew in an English speaking country who listens rap and he's starting to call his sister bitch and having problems in school.

Most surely it's not the only cause, but the subliminal message of Gangsta rappers is already affecting him, the same goes with any message, if a kid listens that what the Catholic Church teaches him is wrong, he will receive part of his message and that IMHO is incorrect because we are entitled to transmit our Religion (Whicjh is part of our inheritance) to our kids.

Iván

I don't want to mess around in this thread, I'm just too inappropiate a person for this kind of topic, but just a question, becasue you're very intelligent and I would like to know your opinion: you transmit your religion to your kids.... but then, later on, as teens or even later, are you ready to accept the fact if they freely, by personal choice, decide not to be part of any cult or religion or even become atheists? What do you think about this? I'd like to hear your point. Smile 

Edited by The T - December 20 2006 at 00:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 01:06
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I don't want to mess around in this thread, I'm just too inappropiate a person for this kind of topic, but just a question, becasue you're very intelligent and I would like to know your opinion: you transmit your religion to your kids.... but then, later on, as teens or even later, are you ready to accept the fact if they freely, by personal choice, decide not to be part of any cult or religion or even become atheists? What do you think about this? I'd like to hear your point. Smile 

If they are old enough to unsderstand what they are choosing, I have no alternative but to accept their choice, respect their faith and consider that I done a good job allowing them to take a rational and/or faithful choice.

Of course if it's a brainwashing cult as the Davidians or Messiahnic ones as the children of Charles Manson, I will do whatever is in my power  to take them away because this fanatics take the free will from the person, the most precious gift that God, Jehowa, Alah, Buddha or whatever name you chose, gave to a human. 

But when they are too young to take that option, my obligation is to transmit our beliefs, family values and their inheritance, but giving them the education enough to understand what they are doing. I don't believe God appreciates blind followers.

My parents are both Catholics but after a period of Agnosticism (rebelion in a Catholic school) I became a concious Catholic when I studied theology in the University, my parents never forced me to take a decision, they gave me the education and freedom to take my choice, of course they are happier with me being a Catholic but I decided to be one by own decision.

I believe that my Religion is the truth but I'm sure that God appreciates a moral Jewish, Christian (Not Catholic), Orthodox, Moslem, Buddhist or even Agnostic and Atheist than a false Catholic fanatic.

Iván

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 01:26

Iván

Well, I think your nephew's problems are something that should be handled by his parents or a guidance counselor

Plus really, if you think about it, there's a lot of negative messages in ALL forms of media. And if somebody has a few screws loose to begin with, ANYTHING could cause a spark. As Prog fans we like to think that our music can't have harmful effects on society and a lot of us think the world would be a lot better if more people listened to Prog. The irony of this is that a lot of Prog has messages and concepts that are just as bad if not worse than genres like Rap and Punk. Sure, it's delivered with a less crude, more intellectual approach, but there's now denying that a lot of Prog is incredibly dark and negative

For instance, take someone who is mentally unbalanced and prone to violence. Whose to say Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" wouldn't push this person over the edge and turn them into a serial killer?

Yes, it's incredibly unlikely. But it COULD happen

Or take Pain of Salvation's "One Hour by the Concrete Lake". Someone who believes Humans are destroying the planet and feels the need to act might be tempted to join a terrorist organization like ELF and and try to blow up a building. The fact that Gildenlow himself seems to be half-way to that point doesn't help

Speaking of being "mentally unbalanced" there's no way you could ever pass a guy like Roger Waters off as a sane, rational human being

Don't even get me started on whole RIO sub-genre, or what was going on in the Italian scene in the 70's

And I'm pretty sure a lot of people here (particularly the younger folk) listen to Black Metal. Guys like Varg Vikerness not only preached violence but actually tried to act on it

Needless to say, there's a LOT of stuff in Progressive Music that could be a bad influence on a person. The only reason there hasn't been any "public incidents" (or at least any that are well known) caused by Prog is because of the genre's lack of exposure to mass audiences. The reason Rap is always the target of moralising news pundits and sensationalists lawyers is because of it's popularity with the mainstream. The more people you reach with your music, the more likely you're going to reach a nutcase. And I personally don't think artists should be silenced just because a few impressionable individuals will adversely effected by it, while the majority who listen to it won't ever be tempted or even think about acting on the message being preached in the music. I think in the modern civilised world, most people have evolved past inflicting violence on those who worship a different God or vote for a different political party than they do

Or at least I would hope so. More and more I'm seeing evidence to the contrary on ALL sides of the spectrum

Edited by Littlewashu5 - December 20 2006 at 01:30
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 01:31

If they are old enough to unsderstand what they are choosing, I have no alternative but to accept their choice, respect their faith and consider that I done a good job allowing them to take a rational and/or faithful choice.

Of course if it's a brainwashing cult as the Davidians or Messiahnic ones as the children of Charles Manson, I will do whatever is in my power  to take them away because this fanatics take the free will from the person, the most precious gift that God, Jehowa, Alah, Buddha or whatever name you chose, gave to a human. 

But when they are too young to take that option, my obligation is to transmit our beliefs, family values and their inheritance, but giving them the education enough to understand what they are doing. I don't believe God appreciates blind followers.

My parents are both Catholics but after a period of Agnosticism (rebelion in a Catholic school) I became a concious Catholic when I studied theology in the University, my parents never forced me to take a decision, they gave me the education and freedom to take my choice, of course they are happier with me being a Catholic but I decided to be one by own decision.

I believe that my Religion is the truth but I'm sure that God appreciates a moral Jewish, Christian (Not Catholic), Orthodox, Moslem, Buddhist or even Agnostic and Atheist than a false Catholic fanatic.

Iván

Thank you, and I think that's the right thing to do. Pass on your knowledge and beliefs, but also give them the tools they need to make their OWN choices. Smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 02:20

I agree 100% about the crapiness of all these...

But as a defender of freedom above all, even if I disagree, I'd rather die than live in a world where my thoughts and ideas have to be controlled. So, in harmony with this, as trash as all of those are, I'll always defend their right to be released (with information about their contents, of course, none wants those in little children's hands), and even if they are Rap, I will attack any intention to prohibit it just for religious or moral reasons..... I DON'T WANT NOBODY TELLING NOBODY WHAT TO THINK..... I hope every person can make thier OWN MIND.

I don't know who said this, maybe in the french revolution era, I don't know, maybe Larousse, but it's one of my mottos: something in the line of: " I don't agree with anything you say, I oppose everything you say, but I'll DEFEND WITH MY LIFE your right to SAY IT"

Smile

One of the reasons to ban religion in schools and public places in USA is to avoid violence caused by intolerance but:

Ice Cube will swarm
On any muthaf**ka in a blue uniform
Just cuz I'm from the CPT, punk police are afraid of me
A young nigga on a warpath
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath
Of cops, dyin in LA
Yo Dre, I got somethin to say

This lyrics create more violence, youmng kids trying to be cool are introduced into violence and hate against muthafuc*r policemen and then people asks why cops and firemen are shooted in the line of duty when trying to stop a crime or help people.

At least in my country the apology of criminal acts is a crime.

I would never boycott a Neal Morse album because at least the message is positive, of course I will use my right to buy it or not being that I don't agree with the content.

But lyrics as the one quoted are not only not artistic but violent and provoking. 

Very contradictory society that forbids God but allows Gangstas promoting shooting of policemen.

Iván

just two final points (it's late, Smile), one, the state doesn't want to appear to be endorsing any particular cult over another, that's why the ban was set; two, parents have the freedom to enroll their children in private, catholic or christian or budhist or any scholl they want, is just the public schools that don't allow religion-classes, as you know. So the freedom is there to choose. And there's also freedom for parents to get into their children lives and try to keep them away from NWA or stuff like that. If a kid gets ahold of one of those, is not his fault or society's fault, is his parents' fault.

But about the apology of crime part: in my country it's illegal, too. And I, as I said, OPPOSE THAT. ANY expression of the self has to be allowed.... it is in the power of the public to disregard it as utter crap or elevate it to higher altars of popularity.... but it has to be a CHOICE BY THE PEOPLE, NOT BY THE STATE.

US contradictory? YOU BET! Here they almost collapse when a niple showed up and you can't see not even a breast in networks (non cable) but kids start having sex I think in kindergarten (well, that's too muchBig smile).... but believe me, our countries are no paradise, too. I come from one, just north of yours.

I may sound anarchist, apollogetic of chaos and disorder, but maybe in a way, I am. FREEDOM ABOVE ALL.

Edited by The T - December 20 2006 at 02:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 02:22
One only point, you and me are capable of knowing this is crap designed to sell, but minors take what their idols say in a different way, this rapper is cool, if they want to be cool they will try to emulate him.

Violence has to be stopped IMHO, I believe in freedom, but there are limits for everything.

Lets move this interesting debate to another forum next time, because Neal Morse's thread will be closed and there's people who like their music.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 20 2006 at 02:26

Wotgorilla View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 06:52
As a prog fan and a Christian (of the Protestant variety) I absolutlely love Neal Morse's solo albums, but unlike some of my Protestant colleagues I've never had any tiime for Catholic-bashing. I doubt Neal is going to go down this path, and in any case, I doubt that Inside Out Music would want to be party to religious sectarianism. But the fact is, Martin Luther was and will always remain an enormously significant figure in Christian history, despite his imperfections (including, incidentally, anti-semitism) and Neal is certainly demonstrating that his style of Christian music has a lot more thought, intellect and depth than a lot of contemporary Christian music (which I generally loathe for its lightweightness).

(By the way, Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ was a fantastic film and completely faithful to the Christian scriptures. If this film is anti-semtic, you may as well say that the Christian Bible is anti-semitic).  
"Thru the darkest age we can surely fly, thru the darkest age with the Fist of Fire"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 22:02

Those are pretty crappy lyrics, I'll give you that

But Popular music has always been attacked in America. In the 80's a lot of people thought Twisted Sister was too explicit. Now the Twisted Sister may not of been the most G-rated band in the universe, but they were pretty tame compared to what was posted above.

Please my friend, Twisted Sister was remotely popular because they created that campaign, their videos were precisely about the reaction they expected from people.

Nobody really remembers about Twisted Sisters except for their videos of a teacher and a father shoulting their pupils and/or son for listening their music, people never cared about TS they were just one band that vanished as easily as they appeared,

In the 60's people thought The Beatles were going to cause the downfall of society. And I'm not talking about late-60's Beatles. I'm talking about "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" Beatles. And let's not forget Elvis' "scadalous" hip-shaking on 1940's televison

By the contrary, The Beatles were seen by adults as a relief, they were always well dressed, long but cared hair, hard,y moved and sung about holding hands, they started being rejected when usoing phrases like "We're more popular than Jesus", n otther words, they used that reaction.

I agree with you about Elvis (In the 50's not in the 40's BTW), the problem was that USA white majority was extremely racist and couldn't resist seing a white man singing in a way that could only be expected from black people.

That's why Little Richard was so rejected by white community (For KKKs sake he was not only black but also gay) and their songs banned but when sung by a mediocre singer like Pat Boone they were accepted by everybody and played in white audience radios.

Yeah, it's sort of scary that lyrics posted by Ivan are considered socially acceptable. But if John Lennon couldn't bring about the downfall of civilisation, it's doubtful a guy like Snoop Dog is going to

I'm not afraid they can destroy Western society (they won't even attempt that because the Western Society is the one that allows them to exist, imagine Snoop Dog trying to publish this lyrics in a Moslem country!!!) but they cause violence in a significative percentage of teen population.

If the word God (Not Jesus, Jehowa, Allah, Buddah...the generic term GOD) is banned in schools and public places, this crap should follow the same path being that ois potentially dangerous for teens.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 21 2006 at 00:57

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 22:04

"We're not Gonna Take It" is a good song. Stern Smile I have no idea what else they did though.....

Howe Protege View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 00:21
Wow 2007 is shaping up to be great
My favorite pasty faced British pal.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 15:44
Well, I personally am going to get this album.  And I'm not Christian at all.  I had initially had misgivings about listening to "preachy" music, but overall, Neals stuff really is not pushing any kind of message on you.  There is a message, and it is a pretty Christian specific one, but it's not as if he is trying to brainwash into being Christian.  At least, that is my impression of his solo works.  Frankly, I like the music he makes, I like Portnoys drumming, and I like epic songs.  So this album is looking pretty good to me Smile

(p.s.  Ivan, they don't allow kids to listen to Snoop Dog in public schools in the US either, as far as I know Wink )
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 15:47
Originally posted by Howe Protege Howe Protege wrote:

Wow 2007 is shaping up to be great

for shizzle.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 15:53
I am really looking forward to this release,Neal just gets better and better with each album.

It's weird to read this thread about Morse and see how it wanders,I can understand religion being discussed in the topic but what is with all the rap lyrics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>