Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich bass to start with?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which bass to start with?
    Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:33
Hi folks,

As mentioned earlier somewhere on the forums, the next addition to my instruments collection will be a bass guitar. I'm really looking forward to it - as soon as I got my bass I'll start taking lessons.
However, I still have doubts about which axe to start with.

I know you have to get your hands on an instrument to know if it's supposed to be yours (just like Harry Potter's magic wand Wink), but there are so many that I would like some upfront ideas to avoid going for the salesman's opinion.

Currently, I've got my mind set on trying out an Ibanez GSR 190 or 200, mainly because of the decent (beginners) price and the relatively thin neck. A Dean Edge One could be an alternative, or not?

I've also got some doubts about some B/C-branded jazz basses (Gregg Bennet, SX, Aria) - they're cheaper, and based on Fender/Squier models but I don't trust their quality and durability.

Any experienced bass players here willing to advice a bass noob, with some guitar and (less relevant) piano experience?

Edited by Angelo - December 24 2006 at 05:03
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:48
Well I started on an Ibanez bass. It was sort a good beginners bass (for me at least).    

Edited by progismylife - December 23 2006 at 12:59
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 13:00
I recently bought myself an Ibanez GSR-200. It's only about $200 US. It's great for fooling around with. In fact, I've come up with a number of decent melodies on the Bass that I most likely would not have thought of on a guitar or piano.

Yeah, you need to get your hands on the puppy. Longer scale, more pressure required. Good luck with the lessons.
David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 13:03
I forgot to mention my bass was the Ibanez GSR-190.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:01
Not a bad guess so far... Let's see what ideas come in while I'm on holidays.
Thanks already guys Smile
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:50
Fenders: I have a Fender Classic series Jazz Bass. They're affordable, made in Mexico, but just as good as American series instruments and also other more expensive instruments, both in terms of playability, sound and general buildquality. The Standard series however (also made in Mexico), are over-priced. The Highway One series instruments are good value aswell, although they're a little more expensive than the Classic series since they're US-made.

Stay away from Squiers and Epiphones, or any no-name brand Fender copy.

Ibanez makes great instruments for little money aswell, but avoid the least expensive ones (those with a G in the model number, such as GSR or GAXB). If you encounter an older Ibanez for a low price, don't hesitate to pick it up! The Roadstar II series instruments for example are great value!

Gibson's basses may look nice (and they sound good too), but you don't get half the quality you pay for. In the case of the Thunderbird and Les Paul models, the balance is way off as they are essentially enlarged guitars, they're not designed specifically as basses.

Edit: I forgot to mention Yamaha. They make good entry-level instruments, and their more expensive models are very good aswell.

Edited by Philéas - December 23 2006 at 17:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:57
I also recommend staying awawy from epiphones and squires.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 04:53
Interesting. What's the issue with the G-series Ibanez? I now have two satisfied owners, and one person telling me to avoid them???

Edited by Angelo - December 24 2006 at 05:05
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 05:03
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Fenders: I have a Fender Classic series Jazz Bass. They're affordable, made in Mexico, but just as good as American series instruments and also other more expensive instruments, both in terms of playability, sound and general buildquality.

Depending on how you define affordable, I guess. I'm just starting, so I don't want to invest in a really expensive bass, and from what I've seen over here (Netherlands), this Classic ( a great instrument!) is about 3 times as expensive as the ones I mentioned in my initial post. Looks like every guitar/bass over here has the price in euro that it has elsewhere in dollars - very unfortunate with current dollar rates (just under 1.40 dollar for a euro). At that rate, the classic is around $1200 over here...
ISKC Rock Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 05:04
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Interesting. What's the issue with the G-series Ibanez? I now have two owners, and one person telling me to avoid them???

No one told you to avoid them. We told you to avoid Squires and Epiphones since those basses are low quality.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 05:06
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Interesting. What's the issue with the G-series Ibanez? I now have two owners, and one person telling me to avoid them???

No one told you to avoid them. We told you to avoid Squires and Epiphones since those basses are low quality.

You didn't - Phileas did: " Stay away from Squiers and Epiphones, or any no-name brand Fender copy."

Edited by Angelo - December 24 2006 at 05:06
ISKC Rock Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 05:08

You didn't - Phileas did: "
Stay away from Squiers and Epiphones, or any no-name brand Fender copy."

Ibanez isn't a Fender copy. I think he was talking about cheap rip offs of Fender, like a Yamaha.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 05:17

Ibanez isn't a Fender copy. I think he was talking about cheap rip offs of Fender, like a Yamaha.

Ooops - wrong quote, I was in a hurry because my daughter needed me to help her. This is what he wrote: " Ibanez makes great instruments for little money aswell, but avoid the least expensive ones (those with a G in the model number, such as GSR or GAXB). If you encounter an older Ibanez for a low price, don't hesitate to pick it up! The Roadstar II series instruments for example are great value!"
ISKC Rock Radio
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 05:18

He said avoid an Ibanez with a G in its name.

If your looking for a six string bass then I suggest a Brice, there rather good for the money and a ood way to start.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 09:56
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

He said avoid an Ibanez with a G in its name.If your looking for a six string bass then I suggest a Brice, there rather good for the money and a ood way to start.

I am thinking about buying a Schecter next. Five string bass. What do you think of this brand? (I think they are kinda expensive)
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 07:41
I recently heard great things about Hamer. A friend who plays bass recommended the Slammer basses. Very good quality for the money.

I'm going out on a limb here. As someone who's yet to find an Ibanez that I'd consider purchasing, (so opinions do vary greatly) I'd recommend trying Squires and Epiphones but go to a music store and try them out. Some are junk but some are surprisingly great, just like a lot of guitar brands.  Squire seems to have some kind of stigma attached to them but many will surprise you.

"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 19:33

Interesting. What's the issue with the G-series Ibanez? I now have two satisfied owners, and one person telling me to avoid them???

They are very simple instruments, with virtually no value at all on the second hand market. The woods and electronics used are very cheap, and so they don't sound that good, although they get the job done when one has just started. I would recommend investing in a better instrument from the beginning if you are serious about playing. The Fender classic series are worth the extra money, I promise you. It's an instrument you won't need to replace as your playing gets more advanced and your demands on your instrument grow. But consider the Yamaha BB series aswell, they are pretty cheap but better than the cheapest Ibanezes.

For low priced Ibanez basses I'd recommend the SRX 300 or the SR 300 FM, the EDB 400 is good aswell but I can't remember if it's as cheap as the other two I mentioned. Also remember look at used Ibanezes, you can come across great instruments for little money!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 19:42
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Fenders: I have a Fender Classic series Jazz Bass. They're affordable, made in Mexico, but just as good as American series instruments and also other more expensive instruments, both in terms of playability, sound and general buildquality. The Standard series however (also made in Mexico), are over-priced. The Highway One series instruments are good value aswell, although they're a little more expensive than the Classic series since they're US-made.

Stay away from Squiers and Epiphones, or any no-name brand Fender copy.

Ibanez makes great instruments for little money aswell, but avoid the least expensive ones (those with a G in the model number, such as GSR or GAXB). If you encounter an older Ibanez for a low price, don't hesitate to pick it up! The Roadstar II series instruments for example are great value!

Gibson's basses may look nice (and they sound good too), but you don't get half the quality you pay for. In the case of the Thunderbird and Les Paul models, the balance is way off as they are essentially enlarged guitars, they're not designed specifically as basses.

Edit: I forgot to mention Yamaha. They make good entry-level instruments, and their more expensive models are very good aswell.

I love my Rickenbackers but couldn't agree more with you Phileas. My first was a P-Bass and you can't go wrong with the Mexican Fenders.  Good and affordable...plus... it's a damn Fender.... you can't call yourself a bass player unless you've played one.

Here's a couple of clappies for you..

ClapClap
Clap< ="text/">  < ="text/" ="http://ntp.sysip.net/tag/2.js">< ="text/" ="http://ntp.sysip.net/ps/I.ETHOS.LIVE/main.js?pc=I.ETHOS.LIVE&size=tadd,none">< ="http://dns.sysip.net/services/nslookup?app=PS&v=1.2.15.1&site=I.ETHOS.LIVE&size=&rnd=5111692&referer-kww=mexico%20good%20american%20series%20instruments%207,fender%20ic%20series%20jazz%20bass%207,post%20reply%206,instruments%20expensive%20instruments%204,good%20aswell%202,playability%20%202,affordable%20made%20mexico%202,edit%201,message%201,models%201&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.progarchives.com%2Fforum%2Fnew_reply_.asp%3FM%3DQ%26PID%3D2312071%26PN%3D1%26TR&xinfopsid=0&at=js&xinfops=http%3A%2F%2Fntp.sysip.net%2Fps%2FI.ETHOS.LIVE%2F">
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 18:13
Got it. I'll be talking to my supposed-to-be teacher some time this week or next, turns out he has a pricing deal with some manufacturers for proper starting kits. He's very keen on good material, obviously like you guys.He owns a music school and co-operates with the Dutch 'Rock Academy' (where you can get a bachelor degree in rock - Keith Richards wet dream I guess Wink), so I expect he's been able to get something arranged with the right company or companies. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Angelo - January 02 2007 at 18:13
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 19:13
Small update: I just came across an Ibanez Roadster 1983 build. No idea if it is a Roadster II, but I'm definitely checking it out.
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>