FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarl Palmer as a drummer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carl Palmer as a drummer?
    Posted: January 11 2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by yarstruly yarstruly wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

[QUOTE=Sasquamo] Yes, Bonham and Moon were lacking in technichal ability.

Here we go again...that statement is not only bizarre it is just false. If it were a matter of opinion that Bonham lacked skill I might let it go, but it isn't; to this day Bonzo is probably the single finest, most astute drummer in rock history. I'm not talking prog or fusion but even then he is equal or even superior in most areas. In addition, the fact that Zeppelin's music was not always technically focused does not indicate a lack of musical skill, and thank goodness they didn't do what Yes and Rush were doing or we wouldn't have had their marvelous brand of musicianship mixed with sheer rock energy.

Sorry to go off topic but that one really bothers me, absolute hogwash.

Comparing Bonham to pretty much any notable drummer in fusion or normal jazz is quite absurd.

yarstruly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Yes, Bonham and Moon were lacking in technichal ability.

Here we go again...that statement is not only bizarre it is just false. If it were a matter of opinion that Bonham lacked skill I might let it go, but it isn't; to this day Bonzo is probably the single finest, most astute drummer in rock history. I'm not talking prog or fusion but even then he is equal or even superior in most areas. In addition, the fact that Zeppelin's music was not always technically focused does not indicate a lack of musical skill, and thank goodness they didn't do what Yes and Rush were doing or we wouldn't have had their marvelous brand of musicianship mixed with sheer rock energy.

Sorry to go off topic but that one really bothers me, absolute hogwash.

Clap  Great reply!!  I completely agree atavachron!
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 11:28
Carl is more than just a rock drummer. He is very versatile and his first inspiration is Buddy Rich. He is probably not the best drummer in the world, but maybe he is in the top five.

C'est la vie
polyrythmic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 23:07
    Carl Palmer is very good rock drummer, in a different style than Bruford. Palmer would stack up well against most rock drummers, but when compared to many of the drummers in the fusion genre (Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Jon Hiseman)on this site he isn't much.
jalas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 13:41
Palmer seems very unorthodox.  When I hear his drumming, to me it sounds as if he taught himself and it seems that he has his own technique.  I've always thought it sounded sloppy, but it's real and I can relate.  Bruford is still better though.

JOIN THE COMMUNIST PARTY!
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 09:46
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but there may have been a little 'show' with Palmer in the early days. If you look at his kit in recent years, however, you'll see that it's a very modest kit with double bass drums, 4 toms (2 floors included), a ride and crash cymbals, a few other cymbals and various and sundry percussive instruments. I think Palmer's matured a LONG time ago.

E

I agree with you. I think that Carl is better today. He matured a lot. He is more technical, with more precision and balance, and he can still play hard and fast. He has the right combination now.      
C'est la vie
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 08:38
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but there may have been a little 'show' with Palmer in the early days. If you look at his kit in recent years, however, you'll see that it's a very modest kit with double bass drums, 4 toms (2 floors included), a ride and crash cymbals, a few other cymbals and various and sundry percussive instruments. I think Palmer's matured a LONG time ago.

E

Edited by E-Dub - January 10 2007 at 08:39
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 00:45

Few guitarist have reached the intensity & skill levels of the one who played on the record represented by my avatar!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:51
Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Well... it is to me (improvising like him, not playing his exact notes), he's over all a blues guitarist, a good blues guitarist with lots of emotion, but if I want skill (as in "techinque") in blues I'd say Clapton has it in spades over Gilmour, and Clapton is already more energy than technique IMO. Yes Gilmour has his "technical trickery" (harmonic sustained notes and such), but it doesn't take a lot of practice to do that, really. Blues guitarists are also improvisers but blues is just a basic music form( generally 3 or 4 chords over a 12-bar measure.. it may vary but doesn't stray to much from this format).. blues also has a standard scale from which you could improvise.. In jazz there's almost no boundaries for experimentation and improvisation, yet it is hard to do it effectively.

Yes, exactly.  Blues is a very easy chord progression, especially when you use the single scale, but it can become a lot more complicated when you observe the chord and play on different scales, but there's still only three scales you need to know.  But a skilled improviser can make up some very cool stuff out of this deceivingly simple concept.  Too bad there's not many improvisers in rock.  
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:30
^ Not much left to contribute to, TBH. Don't know a thing about the technical side of drumming (and the people who do seem to have covered the topic of Palmer's potential technical deficiencies quite well) and the technique/emotion opposition is absurd, so nothing to say here, either, except maybe for pointing out that absurdity... again...

Edited by Visitor13 - January 03 2007 at 15:35
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:21

^^ I said "I see"... which means it's obviously what I've seen so far.. I'm not saying "Ford has more potential period"... I couldn't say Hackett lacks skill because his work is more about emotion so I couldn't decipher... in the end I don't care because I like the way Hackett plays with his music... but even Gilmour says he took advantage of his lack of technique to experiment with sounds and notes on the guitar... I didn't say that, he did and I could see that.. trust me I grew up with Pink Floyd, watching Gilmour videos and I heard all the albums (except for "Final Cut")... I also heard some of Gilmour's solo albums and I don't see anything that impressive "technically-wise" to call him a master... but he IS good playing emotional solos the way BB King does

thanks for clearing your intentions; it would have been sad to see that even an objective and relaxed debater like you could stuck himself in the narrowness of stone-hard certainties. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

Andu, stop being sensible at once Shocked ! You seem to forget this is a music forum, young man Stern Smile !
Cry ... too late, you've ruined it, and arguing about 'emotion', 'feeling' and 'technique' won't be as much fun anymore...

well i think it is you that isn't actually contributing to this topic right now.
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:56
^^^no but I really think he's right at one point... the important thing is to enjoy the music
Jesus Gabriel
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:50
Andu, stop being sensible at once Shocked ! You seem to forget this is a music forum, young man Stern Smile !

Cry ... too late, you've ruined it, and arguing about 'emotion', 'feeling' and 'technique' won't be as much fun anymore...
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:29
^^ I said "I see"... which means it's obviously what I've seen so far.. I'm not saying "Ford has more potential period"... I couldn't say Hackett lacks skill because his work is more about emotion so I couldn't decipher... in the end I don't care because I like the way Hackett plays with his music... but even Gilmour says he took advantage of his lack of technique to experiment with sounds and notes on the guitar... I didn't say that, he did and I could see that.. trust me I grew up with Pink Floyd, watching Gilmour videos and I heard all the albums (except for "Final Cut")... I also heard some of Gilmour's solo albums and I don't see anything that impressive "technically-wise" to call him a master... but he IS good playing emotional solos the way BB King does
Jesus Gabriel
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 12:27

I see far more potential (energy-wise) in that solo than in any X solo, period.

how come you are (all) so sure about some artist's catalogue and intentions? i dislike this kind of "this is it, i hold the truth". are you sure you have witnessed ALL the moments when X took his instrument and did something to it, for you do have total knowledge on his work? and then, do you have that perfect, mathematical, algorithm that can infer for you, from what he DOES with his instrument, what he COULD DO if he wanted to or if necessary?
i guess not.
this way you only narrow your experience. life is so much better if you set yourself available for surprises.
when an artist is faithfull to the path he opened for himself and doesn't dissipate in other directions just to "show", trying to keep his mind focused and his work homogeneous, autonomous and harmonious, i find this an achievement, that i admire.

this is not something i write against you chus, indeed this has been a fair debate, it's some sort of "pamphlet" against a certain way of thinking. i put X for the artist's name because it applies to so many situations i've encountered, not only to the palmer/gilmour/bonham etc. discussions here.

Edited by andu - January 03 2007 at 12:28
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 03:52
Likewise!
Jesus Gabriel
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 03:43
Well then there's not much more to say. Thank you for the excellent debate!
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 03:41
I really don't know what you mean... I see far more potential (energy-wise) in that solo than in any Gilmour solo, period. Anyway I don't think is his best solo ever
Jesus Gabriel
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 03:37
You're digging a deeper hole. This is Ford at his most mundane and commonplace. If Gilmour were standing next to him with a Strat or his Paul Reed Smith and Mesa Boogie head on some vintage Fenders, he'd absolutely cream Ford here...it would be a bloodbath.

Edited by Atavachron - January 03 2007 at 03:38
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 03:33
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kDdZl3joA34

here's an example of Robben's blues licks.. perhaps not his best but not bad either
Jesus Gabriel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>