Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The hissing of summer lawns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe hissing of summer lawns

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 18 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The hissing of summer lawns
    Posted: January 27 2005 at 00:53
I was sitting at home listening to that album last night, "the hissing of summer lawns" by Joni Mitchell, from 1975. I certainly consider the arrangements "progressing" since no song is shorter than 5 or 6 minutes (well a couple are 3-4 minutes) and they are highly, highly creative and unique and arranged to death, but still relatively docile to most. The album is painful for me to listen to because it is kind of sad in a way  but thee melodies and odd chords are what do it. Anyone else who can connect to me on this one? I only have one friend who likes this album, talk about a lonely world!

best,
John
Back to Top
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Joined: April 19 2004
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 12691
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 05:45

Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

I was sitting at home listening to that album last night, "the hissing of summer lawns" by Joni Mitchell, from 1975. I certainly consider the arrangements "progressing" since no song is shorter than 5 or 6 minutes (well a couple are 3-4 minutes) and they are highly, highly creative and unique and arranged to death, but still relatively docile to most. The album is painful for me to listen to because it is kind of sad in a way  but thee melodies and odd chords are what do it. Anyone else who can connect to me on this one? I only have one friend who likes this album, talk about a lonely world!

best,
John

 

Played Jungle Line on my radio show before Christmas.  (A favourite because of the sampling of  the Burundi Drummers - but she had pinched the idea from a French hit single which used exactly the same (full) sample, called Burundi Black - I have the 7" single somewhere). Hissing was the album that saw Joni shift away from the straighter folk rock to the more experimental rock, and then more fully into the jazz rock; here, first with Tom Scott's LA Express - apparently  her lover at that time was LAE's drummer, John Guerrin - and then with Jaco Pastorius. From this middle period Mitchell, Hissing  and Miles Of Aisles (which at long last, is due out on CD in the UK sometime in 2005) are the least played of my Mitchell recordings. IMHO Shadows & Light , sampling from many of Mitchell's albums, has better versions of tunes from Hissing (partly because that live album has one of my dream-line-ups of support musicians).

Back to Top
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: August 26 2004
Location: Isle of Lucy
Status: Offline
Points: 7456
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 06:25

Hissing of the Summer Lawns.
Part of an amazing trilogy of studio albums inc' Court & Spark & Hjera. Jungle Line and Shades of Scarlett Conquering from HoSL are fantastic tracks.
The coterie of musicians on these albums is the creme de la creme of Americas jazz rock/seesion players


Edited by Man Erg

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Back to Top
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 23 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3323
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 14:13
not only do we here Tom Scotts LA Express but Larry
Carlton and to a lesser extent Jeff Baxter from Steely
Dan, with Carltons influence all over this album. Of
course Tom Scotts band was always a part of Steely
Dans studio. Also clearly heard are the Crusaders
influence.

This could easily be considered a Joni Mitchell and
Larry Carlton collaboration as many of their mates
are brought together in this recording.


Edited by DallasBryan
Back to Top
Oracle View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie
Avatar

Joined: January 26 2005
Location: Greenland
Status: Offline
Points: 71
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 14:15

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:



This could easily be considered a Joni Mitchell and
Larry Carlton collaboration as many of there mates
are brought together in this recording.

i dont think they bring there partners to the recording studios as you say mr bryan. they can leave there mates in waiting rooms perhapd?

I see the future.Tomorrow is cancelled.
Thorgeir Vifilsson
Back to Top
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Founding Moderator

Joined: January 30 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2632
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 16:42

Speaking strictly personally (i.e., not "officialy"), if "we" are suggesting here that Joni should be included in PA, I would say that, if the plan goes forward to include only the "progressive" albums of non-progressive artists, Hissing would probably qualify.  I might even include Hejira.  However, Court and Spark would not qualify: as good as it is, and though it may have "progressed" Joni's own work, I do not hear it as "progressive."  After Hejira, she went into he "jazz-tinged" period, and I would not include that either.  However, if a vote were taken, I would vote to include Hissing and, possibly, Hejira.

Peace.

Back to Top
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Joined: April 19 2004
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 12691
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 16:55

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

not only do we here Tom Scotts LA Express but Larry
Carlton and to a lesser extent Jeff Baxter from Steely
Dan, with Carltons influence all over this album. Of
course Tom Scotts band was always a part of Steely
Dans studio. Also clearly heard are the Crusaders
influence.

This could easily be considered a Joni Mitchell and
Larry Carlton collaboration as many of their mates
are brought together in this recording.

 

Wasn't Carlton part of Steeley Dan around this time - e.g. for Pretzel Logic. The reason I suggest this,  Leo Sayer was on BBC Radio 2 just before Christmas and reckoned the sessionmen on his first LP and a hit single (a million miles away from Dan's music) were Carlton & Co, borrowed from Steeley dan.

Back to Top
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 18 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 17:31
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:


This could easily be considered a Joni Mitchell and
Larry Carlton collaboration as many of their mates
are brought together in this recording.


no, joni did the composing! What good is great studio players without GREAT songs?
Back to Top
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 18 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 17:37
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:


Hissing of the Summer Lawns.
Part of an amazing trilogy of studio albums inc' Court & Spark & Hjera. Jungle Line and Shades of Scarlett Conquering from HoSL are fantastic tracks.
The coterie of musicians on these albums is the creme de la creme of Americas jazz rock/seesion players


I agree except, well I'd definitely replace Hejira with "Don juans Reckless daughter" 1978, which to me, resembles Hissing much more than Hejira. Hejira seems more adult contemporary with WAY less use of drums and all, but "song for sharon" is quite a creepy sounding sterile song. Black crow, all those songs are good. Id say the last track is one of the better ones.


"Shades of scarlett conquering" is extremely beautiful, but Id say "edith and the kingpin" wins here.
Then "boho dance", "in france they kiss on main street" and finally "The hissing of s. Lawns", title track.
Can you believe that when I walked to McDonalds once at 6am, the speaker system was playing "edith and the kingpin" ?? I was half awake anyway, but I could hardly believe my ears...

Back to Top
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 18 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 17:48
[/QUOTE]
Played Jungle Line on my radio show before Christmas.  (A favourite because of the sampling of  the Burundi Drummers - but she had pinched the idea from a French hit single which used exactly the same (full) sample, called Burundi Black - I have the 7" single somewhere). Hissing was the album that saw Joni shift away from the straighter folk rock to the more experimental rock, and then more fully into the jazz rock; here, first with Tom Scott's LA Express - apparently  her lover at that time was LAE's drummer, John Guerrin - and then with Jaco Pastorius. From this middle period Mitchell, Hissing  and Miles Of Aisles (which at long last, is due out on CD in the UK sometime in 2005) are the least played of my Mitchell recordings. IMHO Shadows & Light , sampling from many of Mitchell's albums, has better versions of tunes from Hissing (partly because that live album has one of my dream-line-ups of support musicians).[/QUOTE]


My gripe with hissing is that Larry Nash is missing on keys.

Damn, good info man! I always hated that song (!!) until a year or so ago; Jungle Line finally worked for me. I hated it because I thought the mixing was lousy (can anyone actually tell what chords shes playing?) but then I had sheet music for the chords, and played them alone. In fact, without that minimoog bass by Gueron, the song is hardly recognizable. I think thats why they mixed her guitar so low- just to mess with you, but to give you the impression of strumming along. Very effective.

That sample theft is quite interesting, but as long as the melodies are different, it dont` bug me. But the drums do sound original, something I never heard before and get the feeling I never will again.

Miles is GREAT because of the last 3 songs. 'Richard', 'Love or money', and 'Jericho'. Especially these live versions, much better than the studio versions (suprisingly, the live ones sound more "studio" than the studio ones themselves!).

On the contrary, I couldn't stand the musician line up on Shadows and light. I don't like jaco, I just dont like it! I'll take the original Max Bennet over Jaco ANYDAY of the week (by the way, max B is a *sickly* underrated bassist, who was born in 1925 or something like that- this dude has been playing longer than most and is still chugging today).

I dont like Metheny, I dont like the arrogance of that 1979 show. And the album versions sound way better than these live takes. Just an opinion, but the movie is cool to watch! I think it starts off black and white....very clever.
Back to Top
chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: December 27 2004
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 299
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 18:14
I haven't heard this album, only Blue from Joni Mitchell. Now that album is certainly no prog, but I enjoyed it.
Back to Top
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 23 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3323
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 18:37
[/QUOTE]no, joni did the composing! What good is
great studio players without GREAT songs?
[/QUOTE]

Guess the driver did all the work, but in my eyes its
the vehicle that got her where she wanted to go.
Back to Top
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 17 2004
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 2779
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 09:44
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

no, joni did the composing! What good is
great studio players without GREAT songs?
[/QUOTE]

Guess the driver did all the work, but in my eyes its
the vehicle that got her where she wanted to go. [/QUOTE]

Well...

I got the Shadows & Light DVD recently and even though the line up includes, The Persuasions, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias, Lyle Mays, and Michael Brecker. Joni appears to be holding her own perfectly well.

Having said that, the ice skating sequence is a load of fetid dingo's kidneys.

 



Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Back to Top
Harlequin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: October 23 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 546
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 12:13
I adore this album. One for private moments just to savour her lyrical genius. Shades of Scarlett Conquering and Dont Interrupt the Sorrow are beautiful songs.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best...
Back to Top
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Joined: April 19 2004
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 12691
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 13:23

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

 

Having said that, the ice skating sequence is a load of fetid dingo's kidneys.

 

 

My major peeve at the Shadow & Lights DVD, is the crass use of footage 60's Las Vegas, when Pastorius and Mike Brecker do that incredible duo on Dry Cleaner From Des Moine - each pushing the other on to new heights (probably my favourite all time jazz rock track), and I can't BLOODY see them do it (when the thought of seeing them in action for the first time in 25 years of knowing the track, was top of my list of reasons for buying the DVD). Worse Pastorius appears on all too few DVDs or videos. One can only hope footage of the guys playing, is safe somewhere in the archives.



Edited by Dick Heath
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 14:33

JAco footage is relatively rare isn't it: I do have a video instructional tape by him - and there is a band jam at the end with John Scofield and is it Kenwood Dennard or someone. Its pretty impressive - being a bass player the first time I heard JAco I just thought I might'as well give up!

my fave piece of Jaco must be BAdia from 8:30 and his stuff on Coyote from Hejira.

Back to Top
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 27 2004
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 1125
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 15:09

Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

I was sitting at home listening to that album last night, "the hissing of summer lawns" by Joni Mitchell, from 1975. I certainly consider the arrangements "progressing" since no song is shorter than 5 or 6 minutes (well a couple are 3-4 minutes) and they are highly, highly creative and unique and arranged to death, but still relatively docile to most. The album is painful for me to listen to because it is kind of sad in a way  but thee melodies and odd chords are what do it. Anyone else who can connect to me on this one? I only have one friend who likes this album, talk about a lonely world!

best,
John

This a true icon from a lady whose voice I adore.Having passed through Joni's folk rock period via her early albums; this piece of music simply blows me away.When first purchased I played this constantly.My faves Edith and the Kingpin,Don't interupt the sorrow and the Hissing of summerlawns, but there is no failures on this glorious record.Not beginning to advocate Joni to be on here.There is enough non prog being forwarded almost every day at present, but thanks for bringing this up, 70's person.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.345 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.