Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInappropriate reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 141>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inappropriate reviews
    Posted: January 28 2005 at 10:07
I'm new here, so apologies if this isn't the proper procedure - it doesn't look like this forum is used much.   I thought this "review" is a good candidate for removal:

------------------------

MARILLION - Radiation
Review by gof**kyourself @ 5:05:15 AM EST, 1/28/2005
0 stars  —   RADIATION IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE BIGGEST PILE OF '[%*!#]ING sh*t' I HAVE EVER HEARD. IT MADE MY EARS BLEED FOR A WEEK. AND LETS FACE IT MARILILION ARE sh*tT ANYWAYS........ PEACE OUT [%*!#] you all muuhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah PS. GOD IS GAY

------------------------

Also, I'm not sure if this is technically against the rules, but I noticed there's someone with his caps-lock key stuck who's posting under a variety of different names, including two reviews of one album:

------------------------

GENESIS - Duke
Review by Randy Alavero @ 12:39:45 PM EST, 1/27/2005
5 stars  —   ATTENTION- BEHIND THE LINES, DUKE'S TRAVELS AND , DUKE'S END ARE VERY GOOD SUPER-STRUCTURE PIECES. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A BIG FAN OF TONY BANKS AND KIETH EMERSON. MANY FANS LIKE MYSELF WOULD LOVE TO HEAR LENGTHY SYNTHESIZER SOLOS. IT'S A SHAME THAT BILL BRUFORD COULD NOT CONTINUE TO TOUR WITH GENESIS UNTIL 1980 . IT WAS LOVELY THE WAY HE WOULD TUNE HIS INCREDIBLE DRUM- KIT.

GENESIS Three Sides Live
Review by ALEX CORONA @ 7:41:34 PM EST, 12/29/2004

5 stars  —  BILL BRUFORD WAS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPEND TO THIS BAND. WHEN I REALIZED THAT HE WAS ACTUALLY FEATURED ON THREE SIDES LIVE ,I WAS VERY DELIGHTED AND THATS WHAT MAKES THIS ALBUM SO AWESOME. THERE MUST BE SOME WAY THAT BILL BRUFORD SOMEHOW CAN BRING THIS BAND BACK TO LIFE.

GENESIS Three Sides Live
Review by gary wells @ 3:17:57 PM EST, 1/8/2005

5 stars  —  WHEN YOU PLAY THIS RECORD LISTEN CLOSELY TO BILL BRUFORD ON DRUMS, A VERY SPECIAL GUEST. AND SOMEONE WHO REALLY SHOULD HAVE STAYED WITHIN THIS BAND FOR MUCH LONGER. A DRIVING MUSICAL FORCE IN ITSELF. A BAND LIKE GENESIS SHOULD REALLY MAKE A COME-BACK WITH BILL BRUFORD.

GENESIS Second Out
Review by alex montgomery @ 3:28:56 PM EST, 1/24/2005

5 stars  —  ATTENTION- MUSICIANS LIKE TONY BANKS AND BILL BRUFORD DO NOT NEED FANCY EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT AND COSTUMES TO HELP THEM SOUND GOOD. IN FACT JUST LISTEN CLOSELY TO BILL BRUFORD ON DRUMS , HE HAS A VERY UNIQUE DRUM-SOUND. THEY SHOULD RE-FORM AGAIN AND DO A MINI-TOUR WITH BILL BRUFORD. INDEED .

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 11:00
Thank You ! I deleted all of them , It was the same guy (same IP)
Prog On !
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 15:09
Well spotted Wilson, and welcome!Clap
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 14:47

Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Thank You ! I deleted all of them , It was the same guy (same IP)

Obviously it was the same guy in this instance Max, but I've had someone use my computer to post on this forum in the past.Confused

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 00:45

It's funny, most trolls, flamers and fakers write with the cap-lock on, can't understand why? Do they believe it's easier to read?

Good eye Wilson and Welcome.

Iván

JCProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 05:49
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

It's funny, most trolls, flamers and fakers write with the cap-lock on, can't understand why? Do they believe it's easier to read?

Maybe it's a desperate cry for help, and they actually want to get caught?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 12:53

Ok Dr. Sigmund JCProg.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Iván

JCProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 14:20
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks. Been here for a while already. Haven't posted that often, though.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 14:42

Spot the clues here, CAPS LOCK on, "Alex" first name, Surname "Bruford". There is hidden within it, a one sentence review though!LOL

EMERSon LAKE & PALMER ELP Love Beach progressive rock album and reviews EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (ELP) - Love Beach
Review by Alex Bruford @ 1:51:00 PM EST, 1/30/2005

5 stars  —   ATTENTION- EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER AND GENESIS ARE THE GREATEST BANDS ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH. PLEASE PUT THIS ALBUM IN YOUR STEREO RIGHT NOW AND TURN THE BASS-LEVEL A BIT HIGHER AND PLAY AT FULL VOLUME . THIS ALBUM IS EXECELENT . IT CONTAINS BEAUTIFULL ROLAND GUITAR SYNTHESIZER AND CLASSICAL- ELEMENTS. IN FACT , LOVE BEACH IS THERE BEST ALBUM EVER .DON'T EVER CRITISIZE THE MECHNICAL ASPECTS OF THE MUSIC. TONY BANKS, AND E.L.P. NEVER PUT OUT BAD ALBUMS . LOVE BEACH AWESOME AND BRILLIANT.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 13:33

How about this one - not to mention several other Radiohead reviews which criticise the site instead of the music. This one implicitly accuses me of bullying and "getting at" the site Admins.

Am I just over-reacting because I'm named?

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Reed Lover @ 11:09:41 AM EST, 1/16/2005

2 stars  —  So the Radiohead Appreciation bully boys got their way and an Alternative Rock Group crashes the Prog Rock party. I have listened to this album 3 or 4 times in the last few days and I still do not get it! I do not hear any Prog Rock. Sure the playing is top notch and many of the "right instruments" are present but this is a typical Alternative Rock package.Political commentary, satire and black humour mixed with odd electronica interludes and self-conscious "anti-Guitar God" riffing. The whole album is absolutely dreary. Thom Yorke is the least happy vocalist I have ever had the misfortune to hear and each song just grinds on and on.Only the xylophone intro to "No Surprises" stops me from giving the album "one star"-I MUST BE GETTING SENTIMENTAL.Sorry Mark this certainly doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Certif1ed
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 21:02
This makes me wonder about something.  In theory, would it not be possible for one person to use a whole bunch of different names and review an album over and over again, thereby raising its average rating considerably?
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 03:48

and whats about this...?!?!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD. asp?cd_id=5930

1 vote for bad do not buy.. ok.. could be someones opinion.. but with no motivation.. I thought it wasn't enabeled?

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 15:21

They clearly haven't got the guts to state their opinion, RT!

More RADIOHEAD reviews to remove - NONE of these talk about the album OK Computer at all - they all bash the site's decision.

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Tonny larz @ 12:56:16 PM EST, 1/19/2005

2 stars  —  Im inclined to say that reviewer BOB X are right....do RADIOHEAD really belong to this site ?? When KRAFTWERK & ENO dont !! Now mind you i think that RADIOHEAD are great but they´re just not progmusic in my mind....to me they are Brit-pop and as such they are great...and very innovative indeed. Not much to say ....than 2 stars, for great pop- music...and super self arrangements into the wonderful world of brit pop!!! C´mon y´guys..lets get serious......prog rules!!! Appendix: while we are at it..how come the great us outfit LOVE..are not in these fine progarchives?? As James Unger put it:" Pop.rock,folk,prog....i call it brilliant" Sorry james if i didnt quote correct, but the essence is there. Oh..and by the way have you frequented James Unger´s prog site ?? Please do..it is a very informative and wonderful progsite.... there are plenty of suggestions as to new experiences in the prog world.

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 7:34:33 AM EST, 1/16/2005

2 stars  —  This kind of stuff should not be on this site, I hope someone will wake up and remove it. Since when did alternative rock become progressive rock? You might as well add Green Day, Chemical Brothers and other techno-crap. And oh, throw in David Bowie too. And why not Oasis or Nirvana?

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Guilherme Baldin, the GG fanatic @ 11:21:48 AM EST, 1/19/2005

0 stars  —  C´mon guys! You can´t be serious! A band that is all the time on MTV, doing videoclips, or whatever, with a leprechaun as a vocalist, IT´S NOT PROG. Why we should listen to this @#**??? It´s modern, it´s "fashion"! The real prog was made in the 70´s by Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, and it´s OVER. I´m 14 years old and I really think you oldies and I should stay where we know it´s safe: living in the past. I really hope this message would open your eyes to the truth about prog music. [%*!#] MTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Prog-O-Saurus @ 11:53:15 AM EST, 1/19/2005

0 stars  —  Like the other reviewer has put it, this is not anywhere close to prog. Where I disagree, is that there are a lot of great modern prog bands, not just the 70's bands, but it's ridiculous and even pathenic to include an alternative MTV-friendly band in here. Even the 14-year old reviewer understands this, so come on you "prog-heads" - wake up and delete this % #&* from here!

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by bob x @ 12:06:23 PM EST, 1/19/2005

0 stars  —  Ok - I guess my first attempt at this wasn't accepted because I didn't meet the 50 word requirement. With that being said,I would like to just say how much I enjoy the prog archives and how helpful they are by turning me on to many new and good bands.But I am not so sure a band like RADIOHEAD should be included here. Let me repeat my first attempt at a review of this. THIS IS NOT PROGROCK!!!!! How could anyone ,ever want to list this as such? Esp. when the likes of BRIAN ENO and KRAFTWERK have not been included in the archives? Somebody fumbled on this one!

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Redhead @ 9:52:36 AM EST, 1/30/2005

0 stars  —  Its a laugh...Radiohead...progressive???? Ha..Ha....it is at most britpop with angry undertones...there are no way near those great musicians normally reviewed in Prog- archives!!! Come on you guys.....or maybe this site should be called: POPARCHIVES !!??

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 15:31

PS - you can see in some of the other reviews that reviewers are fed up with this kind of childish "review" as well - look at the reviews for "Hail to the Thief", which look like the considerate reviewers have bumped up the album ratings in order to compensate for the idiots like bobx, Redhead and Prog-O-Saurus.

RADIOHEAD Hail to the thief
Review by Jim Young @ 9:51:52 PM EST, 1/26/2005

4 stars  —  Those who keep on writting reviews saying this is not prog band are wrong... 1- This is as prog as any prog band that I know, and it doesn't matter... 2- Listen to this album, as i bet none of you did... 3- If you don't like the band at all (if you don't think it's progressive is not the point), don't review an album, because it's quite stupid, as you know... It's about a review of the ALBUM, not the BAND... If you don't like the band, no need for reviews about the album (just read a little something: "2 - Try to write in an intelligent and considerate manner. Rude or insulting language is not appropriate! Show respect for other reviewers and readers, the artists, and the cd and song titles. Please try to write reviews that will be of real use and interest to other progressive music fans, who can then benefit by finding new avenues for their musical exploration.")... 4- Radiohead isn't prog music at all, it's just music... Music at its best... On the album: Very good, but i think it's the "less good" they've made since "The Bends"... "2+2=5" is a real crazy rocker while "Scatterbrain" is a calm and lovely ballad..." A Wolf at the Door" is the best here... It is a simple track, but really beautiful... "I Will" and "There There" are quite impressive too! "Sail to the Moon" could've been better (for what i did read about this song), still is a very, VERY good tune... The other tracks are good, except "Backdrifts" (just don't like it)... Not Radiohead at their best, but better than many bands called "progressive" by the same people that say this is junk... Oh! I'm working on my english... No good, sorry for that...

RADIOHEAD Hail to the thief
Review by Dieter Fischer @ 4:10:45 PM EST, 1/20/2005

PROG REVIEWER
2 stars  —  Somehow I find the discussions going on here about RADIOHEAD being progressive or not amusing and for me it seams to be more or less a fighting between generations. First I have to state generally I'm favoring old-school PROG and their respective "rip- offs" as Peter calls it (but in fact I'd not call them like this since they use the old stuff just as a base to build up something different and own). On the other hand I also have to say that my musical taste is not restricted to only one direction and I listened during my life all sorts of music Prog or not it doesn't really matter. Important is that one likes the music and whether a specific kind of music or an album is good or bad is always a quite subjective decision. I'm admitting honestly I used to listen to RADIOHEAD for a while in the 90s and the music they did, at least on the albums "Bends" and "OKC" was quite OK and I had the impression that they were sure much better than other bands from the genre, whether it's Oasis,Nirvana or whoever. But later they decided to change their style and became "progressive" in a literal way (but not in the sense how "progressive" has been defined in the old days), because they started to include a lot of electronics in their music. I'm not very fond of electronic music (with a few exceptions) and that's why I lost interest in the band and anyway I started to tend more towards Metal (Progressive and Gothic) and started to discover a lot of bands which are much more interesting than RADIOHEAD. And I'd like to tell all Newbies in Prog that there are many more good bands apart from Flower Kings, Arena and DT. Might be that these are not everyone's cup of tea, but Progressive Rock is such a wide field and includes bands of many many different styles. You young guys just have to listen sometimes something else than Radiohead,Tool and the alikes or you are all that depressed and melancholic that you can only support such type of music. And this is the keyword for coming back to "Hail To The Thief" and RADIOHEAD. Okay let's try to go in detail through this album.

/snip
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 15:40
There should be a review section, for reviewing the reviews
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 09:53

There is - it's called a discussion forum...

I think that people should have to register to review albums - or did I read that suggestion somewhere else here? It's a damned good one - it won't stop silly reviews - but we'll be able to beat up the people that make them more easily...

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 10:40
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I think that people should have to register to review albums - or did I read that suggestion somewhere else here? It's a damned good one - it won't stop silly reviews - but we'll be able to beat up the people that make them more easily...

What about ...

FORUM MEMBER only can SUBMIT REVIEWS ? I can do that....

Prog On !
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 13:30

wouldn't that be narrowing the field of (potential) reviewers?

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Spartacus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 10:37
MARILLIon Marbles  progressive rock album and reviews MARILLION - Marbles
Review by Darren Brush @ 7:08:19 AM EST, 2/4/2005
1 stars  —   I feel it's time for me to make My review of this cd. MARILLION hasn't been MARILLION since FISH left.... Steve is too damn ballady, where is the prog. it's like listening to Dean Martin with great musicians but a bad vocalist... Steve take a hint either get the PROG out and get back to what MARILLION stood for when FISH was around or leave the band and sing on some Cruise ship. thats what you have is a pathetic cruise ship or tacky lounge singer.....yes you had some good songs but since the good songs..I love Easter, cover my eyes, hooks in you, and the Uninvited guest. But now MARBLES is so lame.

Once again one more review without saying a word about the music.  When will these people learn to take this stuff to amazon.

Edited by Spartacus
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 14:02
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

What about ...

FORUM MEMBER only can SUBMIT REVIEWS ? I can do that....

Clap

I would second that. It is fair-why should non-members submit reviews to this forum?

I have posted a poll in the Discussions Not Related..area.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3445&a mp;PN=1

Edited by Reed Lover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 141>