Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInappropriate reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 17:34

I'm not so sure Tony.

He refers to the Hairless Heart website, plus his quote "No, I can smell Hobbyists at work. Amateurs pretending to be Professionals. Bedroom journalists. Being a "music enthusiast" doesn't necessarily mean that you're suddenly qualified to release poorly written diatribe after diatribe about other people's work." could easily be said to point towards sites like ours. 
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 17:36
Originally posted by OpethGuitarist OpethGuitarist wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=89183

On front page, very short, less than 50 words.

Still checking, Joey... there's some information about the music there. Confused
Guigo

~~~~~~
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 10:18
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I'm not so sure Tony.

He refers to the Hairless Heart website, plus his quote "No, I can smell Hobbyists at work. Amateurs pretending to be Professionals. Bedroom journalists. Being a "music enthusiast" doesn't necessarily mean that you're suddenly qualified to release poorly written diatribe after diatribe about other people's work." could easily be said to point towards sites like ours. 

Sorry Bob,misread that,I saw the name Herald and presumed he was being facetious!

If that's the case then he is being quite arrogant.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 13:03
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Sorry Bob,misread that,I saw the name Herald and presumed he was being facetious!

If that's the case then he is being quite arrogant.

The real rpoblem is that most Proffesional reviewers are very careful not to mess with the musicians or the music industry, their main objective is to entertain and they are bland with the albums, if they don't like it they take 100 words to say this and hide the fact the album is really bad.

Professional reviewers normally are worried to keep their job and of course they will praise an album thatis popular because ifthey something good about Madonna or Britney, their fans (Who are a lot) are going to buy the paper, the owners will be happy and pay the guy more.

Amateur reviewers (Amateur refers to people that don't get paid, those who make something for pure love) are in most of the cases honest, if they (we) don't like something, we say it in two simple words "It's terrible", amateur reviewers don't have agendas or depend on a magazine or radio related to the music industry, the most we will get is aphrase in a forum saying "hey xxx, good review"..

I read proffesional reviewers talking crap of really good albums like saying about Kansas something like they are only hillbillies that should learn a fifth note (Something like this was said by a Pro reviewer named Bottomley) but at the same time he said that ABBA is an essential band.

What some artist want are bland reviews that entertain and don't warn the new consumer if an album is really bad. I don't kbnow if this is the case, but it0's the reality in some cases.

Iván

Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 13:30
Many times I have seen that some of the "Amateur Reviewers" know more about the history of bands than some of the "Professional Reviewers". For example, I read in a magazine in 1978-79 a review about "Bob Fripp and Cream Crimson" LOL

I also read in other magazines of the seventies that Genesis` "Trespass" album or "Nursery Cryme" were their first albums, ignoring previous albums. A reviewer also only credited Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Peter Gabriel as the Genesis line-up of "The Lamb..." album, and another mentioned that Phil Collins and Steve Hackett were original members of the band.

In ABWH`s "An Evening of YES Music Plus"  live album (in the Herald Records release), the writer of the sleeve notes wrote that the members of ABWH "didn`t play together since they were on tour in 1979 promoting YES`s "Tormato" album". Of course, Bruford wasn`t playing with YES then!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 15:04

As a result of the introduction of slightly revised procedures for reporting reviews that may contravene the PA guidelines this thread is now closed. A new "Reviews reporting thread" has been created here. Please ensure you read the first post in that thread before posting in it.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28343

A Reviews discussion thread has also been created here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28344

The Admin Team thank all the members who contributed to this particular thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141