Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInappropriate reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 141>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 16:20
...and make the mp3s available to members only as an incentive for people who love prog rock music to register
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 17:01

that would suck

i think we should allow everybody to discover prog music. And allow everybody to share their opinion with us. Inappropriate ones should just be deleted.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 17:41
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

And allow everybody to share their opinion with us.

Why?

I do not understand.

Why should opinions from non-members be relevant or usuful?

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 18:43
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Why?

I do not understand.

This is true.  We can't even get opinions from members to be relevant or useful most of the time.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 22:05
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Why?

I do not understand.

This is true.  We can't even get opinions from members to be relevant or useful most of the time.

I resemble that remark

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 23:03
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Why?

I do not understand.

I resemble that remark

It's true, it's true.... GDUB is irrelevant...

Er, so is Reed.

Me too.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 05:33

Max,

I'd support making it compulsory to register with the site to post reviews. If using the forum ID is the easiest way to do this, then that makes sense. A couple of things to consider though.

• Some members, like myself, prefer to post thier reviews in their real name, but have a forum name which is more annonymous. Can you allow this OK if the forum log on is used?
  • In order to ensure the site is still available to all, it should still be possible to read the reviews without registering with the site.

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 10:01

that would suck

i think we should allow everybody to discover prog music. And allow everybody to share their opinion with us. Inappropriate ones should just be deleted.

I disagree with compulsory registration in order to post a review. I believe one of the reasons why ProgArchives is so popular is its open nature, unlike some of the other Prog Web sites that have a cliquey feel and a limited number of reviews and reviewers. I have read many good reviews by people who are clearly not members of these forums and who presumably are not interested in participating other than to record their love – or dislike – of one or more albums. And actually, I enjoy reading some of the more quirky reviews – they are quite entertaining even if I don’t agree with all of them (and I do agree with some, too).

As to the argument that compulsory registration would put a complete stop to crass reviews or sarcastic reviews, I have my doubts. Look at how easy it has been for ‘multiple personality disorder’ in these forums (i.e. the same person registering under multiple nicknames, even going as far as to converse with their alter ego).

Also, look at how much discussion – good and bad – the crass or sarcastic reviews have generated. If compulsory registration were to be instigated and were to succeed – and, as I said above, I have my doubts it would succeed completely – then there would be one less thing for people to discuss in these forums.

Lastly, some people may simply not want to be hassled with registration but just want to record their view on an album. Some of these people don’t even speak English but want to leave their views on a particular album or albums. Will compulsory registration put these people off completely? Why discourage people from contributing?

When I first discovered ProgArchives I thought the current model of allowing anyone to review an album easily was a breath of fresh air, and I still think that. As for the suggestion of making MP3s only available to those who register, I say something similar: the site is a breath of fresh air and let's keep it as easy as possible for people to discover progressive music. Joren sums it up nicely.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 10:53

Even though I agree with the com´pulsory registration only as the last solution posible, I believe the best option would be to create a special registration only for the review section, with a mechanism that rejects the same IP number, same e-mail or repeated user.

Maybe a person would like to review and doesn't care about the forum, but I also believe we must protect our review section allowing everybody to post a review but with the obligation to log on using the same name or nickname and protecting ourself against multiple personalities.

Iván

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 16:48

Going back to Wilson's original post, here's 2 more by what is clearly the same person using differnt names again.

GENESIS Second Out progressive rock album and reviews GENESIS - Second Out
Review by John DeAndres @ 3:47:57 PM EST, 2/7/2005

5 stars  —   TONY BANKS AND BILL BRUFORD ARE A DRIVING MUSICAL FORCE . IT WAS LOVELY THE WAY BILL BRUFORD WOULD TUNE HIS INCREDIBLE DRUM-KIT.THEY SHOULD REALLY FEATURE BILL BRUFORD ON DRUMS ONCE AGAIN IN THE FUTURE. I HOPE THEY CONSIDER IT BECAUSE BILL HAS A VERY UNIQUE SOUND.

GENESIS Live - The Way We Walk Volume Two - The Longs progressive rock album and reviews GENESIS - Live - The Way We Walk Volume Two - The Longs
Review by kim shwartz @ 3:56:59 PM EST, 2/6/2005
5 stars  —   I GOT MY MONEY'S WORTH. THE ALBUM IS FUN, FUN, FUN IN THE SUN .IT'S A SHAME THAT BILL BRUFORD COULD NOT CONTINUE TO TOUR WITH THIS BAND. IT WAS LOVELY THE WAY HE WOULD TUNE HIS INCREDIBLE DRUM -KIT. BILL BRUFORD REALLY DID HELP GENESIS. HOPEFULLY ONE DAY BILL CAN RETURN.

More proof perhaps that some sort of "registration" to post reviews is needed.

Edited by Easy Livin
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 21:11

that would suck

I disagree. Yes, everybody should be able to discover prog rock, but having all these random and anonymous people posting reviews just cludders the archives with opinions from unexperienced listeners. Although this site has nowhere near as much material on it, www.progreviews.com has a nice way of doing reviews... a select group of nine or ten people review all the albums. I'm not saying we should limit ourselves to that degree, but some limitation would be beneficial to everybody.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Wilson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 11:12
Some more of CAPS-LOCK GUY's witticisms, in addition to the two Easy Livin mentioned above. Not all of these are in all caps, but the Bill Bruford references, all-or-nothing ratings (1 or 5 stars only), and odd spaces before commas and periods are giveaways. It's bizarre that he hasn't posted any reviews of Bill Bruford's albums...  Of course he's entitled to his opinions, but these reviews don't contribute much to the quality of this website. 

It's amazing how few inappropriate reviews there are, considering how easy it is to post - I'd vote for not requiring registration as long as there aren't more problems like this.

GENESIS Archive - Volume 2: 1976-1992
Review by Louis Pantera @ 2:48:33 PM EST, 1/16/2005

5 stars  —  ATTENTION- THEY REALLY SHOULD HAVE FEATURED BILL BRUFORD ON THIS RELEASE AND LOTS OF IT. SERIOUSLY , MORE PEOPLE WOULD RATHER SEE AND HEAR BILL MORE THAN ANY OTHER DRUMMER. HE DOESN'T NEED EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT TO HELP HIM SOUND GOOD. HE'S EXTREMLY CREATIVE. TECHNICALY, PRODUCES A BETTER DRUMSOUND. THEY SHOULD RE-FORM AND TOUR AMERICA WITH BILL BRUFORD.

GENESIS Archive - Volume 2: 1976-1992
Review by JAHN LA PRAIRE @ 1:13:44 PM EST, 1/26/2005

5 stars  —  FINE PROG BANDS LIKE GENESIS AND E.L.P. ALWAYS PUT OUT QUALITY MUSIC, BUT WE NEVER SEE THEM FOR YEARS. MUSICIANS LIKE TONY BANKS AND MIKE RUTHERFORD CAN PROBABLY PUT ROLAND-GUITAR SYNTHESIZERS TO GOOD USE AS WELL. AND THEN ADD BILL BRUFORD ON DRUMS AND THE RESULT IS EXPLOSIVE. CREATIVE POWER.

GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits
Review by kim arbuckle @ 3:20:30 PM EST, 1/23/2005

1 stars  —  Personally ,in my opinion they should have never wasted their time with this. BUT IT'S NOT TOO LATE. ATTENTION - THEY SHOULD RELEASE A NEW ALBUM FEATURING BILL BRUFORD ON DRUMS FROM TOUR-76. Surely there must some vintage recordings from this tour. In fact they should re-form and tour america with BILL BRUFORD .

GENESIS Calling All Stations
Review by DAR COTTAN @ 3:39:05 PM EST, 1/9/2005

5 stars  —  MR. AND MRS. AMERICA, PLEASE READ MY REVIEW- I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A BIG FAN OF TONY BANKS AND KIETH EMERSON. THIS ALBUM IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS. FROM A MUSICAL POINT OF VIEW RAY WILSON SINGS JUST AS GOOD AS PETER.G. OR PHIL.C. , IN FACT HE IS EVEN BETTER. AND NOW ,THE ONLY THING THIS BAND NEEDS TO DO IS MAKE A COME-BACK AND TOUR WITH BILL BRUFORD. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE AWAY A BEAUTIFULL THING.

Review by Dale Norton @ 2:14:52 PM EST, 1/10/2005

5 stars  —  ATTENTION - We don't miss Chester Thompson at all . In fact he seems to think he owns the band.....Well, he doesn't. Basically if he feels they should add a disco-beat,commercial rap, and more media then perhaps he should take a hike and go elsewhere. If I were leader of a prog-band I certainly wouldn't take him in, simply because he's a crap, boring drummer. It's nothing personal. We want quality music not downers. Once again , it's nothing personal.

Review by Frank McDonald @ 3:04:05 PM EST, 1/18/2005

5 stars  —  TREVOR HORN . THEY SHOULD HAVE HIRED TREVOR HORN TO DO VOCALS ON THIS ALBUM AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MARVELLOUS. TREVOR CAN SING ANY GENESIS BETTER THAN ANYONE. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT FOR THE JOB. PERIOD .

GENESIS We Can't Dance
Review by danny decarlo @ 5:21:44 PM EST, 1/14/2005

1 stars  —  OBVIOUSLY this album really sucks. I DON'T LIKE IT. In fact it is the worst phil collins album ever. It doesn't sound like a genesis album. So therefore many fans would like to see a comeback with a change.......back to the past. They should hire BILL BRUFORD and tour north-america. Think about it. It can be a plus.

Wilson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 18:35
And here's another new one... his third review of this album (the other 2 were deleted earlier).

---------------------

GENESIS - Three Sides Live
Review by Dan DeCarlo @ 5:47:22 PM EST, 2/8/2005
5 stars  —   TONY BANKS AND BILL BRUFORD ARE A DRIVING MUSICAL-FORCE . AS YOU KNOW , BILL WAS WITH GENESIS FOR A SHORT TIME . I CERTAINLY HOPE THAT ONE DAY, THE MASSES OF PEOPLE WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE BILL BRUFORD IN HIS ROLE WITHIN THIS BAND . APPARENTLY HE'S ONLY FEATURED ON 2 TRACKS . 3-SIDES-LIVE IS A PLUS. ENJOY IT , AND HAVE A GOOD TIME , FOR LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE-AWAY. THANK- YOU AND HAVE A GOOD DAY.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 18:57
Persistent little gopher
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 19:56
Gopher's reviews deleted
Prog On !
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 14:37

BANKS, TonY The Fugitive progressive rock album and reviews BANKS, TONY - The Fugitive
Review by Alex Corona @ 1:49:57 PM EST, 2/11/2005
5 stars  —   ATTENTION- I HAVE 3 HEROS - EVEL KNIEVEL , BILL BRUFORD , AND TONY BANKS . I AM A DAREDEVIL BUT I DO MOST OF MY JUMPS ON A BICYCLE, SIMPLY BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD A MOTORCYCLE . I ALSO LIKE ''FISH,N,CHIPS'', GERMAN BEER, AND MUSIC . THIS ALBUM IS NO-1 . GIVEN THE CHANCE AND CIRCUMSTANCES I REALLY THINK THAT BILL BRUFORD COULD HAVE SURELY ADDED GREAT DRUMMING TO THIS ALBUM. SUPER-TECHNICAL HEROS AND STRONG RELIABLE EQUIPMENT= 2 ELEMENTS .

This is the best one yet
We Lost the Skyline............

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 23:54
I'm wondering if he accidentally posted his review twice and couldn't delete it? Maybe someone needs to get this for him...

HORSLIPS - Book of Invasions: A Celtic Symphony
Review by chris stacey @ 10:58:55 PM EST, 2/3/2005
PROG REVIEWER
—   fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffff
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 20:22

Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Gopher's reviews deleted

Don't forget to remove the little bugger's latest under Tony Banks' album Seven.

Thanks, Max. 

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Wilson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 22:33
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

Don't forget to remove the little bugger's latest under Tony Banks' album Seven.

ATTENTION - here's one more, plus the ELP one that Easy Livin found earlier is still there.  Looks like he's learned to turn off CAPS-LOCK, though the spacing around punctuation marks is the same.

TONY BANKS Seven (A suite for orchestra)
Review by Alex Corona @ 4:54:10 PM EST, 2/10/2005

5 stars  —  FINALLY WE GET TO HEAR QUALITY INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC AND QUALITY SOUND. YOU GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH MY FRIEND. PERHAPS ONE DAY IN THE FUTURE WE CAN BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HEAR AND SEE MORE ORCHESTRA WORKS . I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMEND TONY AND COMPANY TO SOMEHOW FEATURE BILL BRUFORD ON DRUMS WITHIN THE ORCHESTRA . THIS IS A PLUS .

TONY BANKS Bankstatement

Review by Lawrence .T . Aldred @ 4:32:41 PM EST, 2/13/2005

1 stars  —  Very dissappointing , I don't like it at all . Did NOT get my money's worth . ATTENTON - We really want to hear instrumental pieces, lenthy keyboard solos . We really want to hear long synthesizer solos played on a custom-made mimi-moog. Any '' very old music '' would be much better, please and thank-you .

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (ELP) Love Beach
Review by Alex Bruford @ 1:51:00 PM EST, 1/30/2005

5 stars  —  ATTENTION- EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER AND GENESIS ARE THE GREATEST BANDS ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH. PLEASE PUT THIS ALBUM IN YOUR STEREO RIGHT NOW AND TURN THE BASS-LEVEL A BIT HIGHER AND PLAY AT FULL VOLUME . THIS ALBUM IS EXECELENT . IT CONTAINS BEAUTIFULL ROLAND GUITAR SYNTHESIZER AND CLASSICAL- ELEMENTS. IN FACT , LOVE BEACH IS THERE BEST ALBUM EVER .DON'T EVER CRITISIZE THE MECHNICAL ASPECTS OF THE MUSIC. TONY BANKS, AND E.L.P. NEVER PUT OUT BAD ALBUMS . LOVE BEACH AWESOME AND BRILLIANT.

Edited by Wilson
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 06:33
deleted
Prog On !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 141>