Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA bit of a dilemna...

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which should I do (read post first)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bit of a dilemna...
    Posted: January 17 2007 at 17:26
Unfortunately, when I was younger, my dad got me started using websites like allofmp3.com and gomusic.ru to get most of my music.  I have just recently decided that this is unethical, and am planning to replace or delete all that I downloaded illegally (well, I guess it's legal technically, but again, it's unethical).

My dilemna is this:

Do I

a) replace just what I like on CD and delete the rest
b) replace it all on CD

The argument for part a) should be obvious.  The only thing about it that bothers me is that I have "owned" much of it, even what I don't like, for quite some time, and a part of me feels like the artists should get those royalties.  I'll leave you to vote, because I'm really not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help and understanding regarding this unfortunate breach of respect for the artists I've shown...

In the meantime, I will start replacing all the ones that I like.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 17:27
Also, this will mean a bit of a damper on my reviews shortly, as soon as I run out of albums to review, because it will probably take several years to replace all of the albums.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 17:36
The illegality of downloading must be taken into account THE MOMENT you did the downloading, not in a retroactive way. If you did the downloading when it was NOT ILLEGAL (if it was not REGULATED AT ALL it couldn't have been illegal, maybe unethical but not illegal) then I would suggest you keep your files and spare you such a tremendous work.

If you don't agree with that or if you agree but you made the downloading when it was already illegal to do it, I would suggest replacing ALL of them as soon as you can... Man how can you live without music?

I would say, my advice is, never again download files illegally, but don't be so radical with yourself... The files are already in your computer (or wherever they are), the damage (if there was damage) is done....I'm not speaking in favor of illegal downloading (I actually NEVER download music, specially prog...), but I'm speaking in favor of your music collection, your ability to write reviews, and mostly, in favor of making life liveable, in musical matters, for you. My suggestion:

laissez passer... (it's an economical term but it aplies here)
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 17:53
Thank you, The T.  The problem is, I'm not sure if it is illegal or not...

I know that people other than The T have an opinion though, and I'd like to know it...
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 04:45
Well, I will join The T's advice.

If at the moment you downloaded the files, this was legal, then I think it is moral to keep the albums you like and buy them in CD and to delete albums that you dislike.

It helped you discover artists and make other people discover them, to expand people's music knowledge. By buying the albums you like, you respect artists ... What is done is done.

Hope it helped you in your choice...
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 04:52
if you got enough money, then you could replace them all . however, since it's already illegal when you download those stuffs, IMO it won't matter much. Then again, instead of spending your money for replacing those albums, why don't expand your collection(and stop downloading of course. It's better to correct than to regret after all
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 07:32
a)

When tou have money, replace all but meanwhile... be patient...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 14:14
Why would you buy CDs you don't like? I say buy the ones you like and delete the rest.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 14:52
    I actually did the same thing. I am replacing them as I find them available. There is also problem of spending money on something I already have, as opposed to something new. If it is something I don't have, and is harder to find, I purchase that first.
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 15:32
Originally posted by inpraiseoffolly inpraiseoffolly wrote:

The only thing about it that bothers me is that I have "owned" much of it, even what I don't like, for quite some time, and a part of me feels like the artists should get those royalties. 

Just mail the artist(s) $0.25 - they'll be better off financially than if you buy the CD.
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 18:07
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

The only thing about it that bothers me is that I have "owned" much of it, even what I don't like, for quite some time, and a part of me feels like the artists should get those royalties. 

Just mail the artist(s) $0.25 - they'll be better off financially than if you buy the CD.

As impossible as this sounds, as absurd as it sounds, it may actually be the truth. Many of these bands won't receive the same treatment as the popular acts and they will get something like that per cd sold. IF....
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 09:01
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

As impossible as this sounds, as absurd as it sounds, it may actually be the truth. Many of these bands won't receive the same treatment as the popular acts and they will get something like that per cd sold. IF....

I know it sounds absurd but...

The following is a breakdown of where the money goes when we buy a CD. Typically, the artist earns just over $1 on every CD sold. Promotion, video, recording and touring costs are often subtracted from that figure, leaving the artist with very little after every one else has been paid.

Royalty Math

Consider this hypothetical example based on realistic figures. Suppose a new band signs a contract stipulating a royalty rate of 14%, which applies to cassette sales. The CD rate is 85% of that. The band records its first album on a $300,000 budget with a producer who gets a standard 3% royalty share.

CD suggested retail price

$18.98

Less packaging (25%)

-

$4.74

Royalty base

=

$14.24

Royalty rate

14% minus 3% for the product, multiplied by .85 to determine CD rate

=

9.35%

Royalty rate per CD

=

$1.33

Royalty amount x 500,000 CDs

-

$665,000

Less 15% free goods

(Copies given away to retailers, distributors, radio stations and reviewers)

-

$99,750

Less recording costs

-

$300,000

Less 50% of independent promotion

(Cost of hiring outside agents to secure radio airplay. Multi-format campaigns can run $350,000 to $700,000 per single)

-

$100,000

Less 50% of video costs

-

$75,000

Less tour support

(Losses accrued on tour. Few new acts break even on the road)

-

$50,000

Total

(Before managers, agents, etc. take their cut)

=

$40,250

Source: All You Need to Know About the Music Business By Donald S. Passman (Simon & Schuster)

So, that's $40,250 / 500,000 CD's = $0.08 per CD

If the group has 4 members that's $0.02 per member per CD sold - before the managers, agents, etc. take their cut.

Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 09:22
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Why would you buy CDs you don't like? I say buy the ones you like and delete the rest.

Exactly. Clap
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 09:56
Famous major label-signed artists don't lose much money from illegal downloading, neither do the major lables themselves. Lesser known artists on independant labels are worth supporting though.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 11:26

Thank you, The T.  The problem is, I'm not sure if it is illegal or not...

I know that people other than The T have an opinion though, and I'd like to know it...

The problem is the Russians say they are legal and they pay royalties, but I have been told (by Nick Barrett) that the artists do NOT receive royalties from these sites. They are now being clamped down on - I read recently that allofmp3.com was being targeted but haven't seen anything since.

I too have downloaded albums from similar sites in the past (before I realised they were illegal) and am slowly buying the CDs that I like.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 11:35

Unfortunately, when I was younger, my dad got me started using websites like allofmp3.com and gomusic.ru to get most of my music.  I have just recently decided that this is unethical, and am planning to replace or delete all that I downloaded illegally (well, I guess it's legal technically, but again, it's unethical).

My dilemna is this:

Do I

a) replace just what I like on CD and delete the rest
b) replace it all on CD

I'd suggest:

c) Get an account with Napster and only get those on CD which you really, really like (masterpieces)

Smile
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 11:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The problem is the Russians say they are legal and they pay royalties, but I have been told (by Nick Barrett) that the artists do NOT receive royalties from these sites. They are now being clamped down on - I read recently that allofmp3.com was being targeted but haven't seen anything since.[

This is true, the artists recieve NOTHING from these sites, you are being CONNED when you buy an album for $1 from russia!!!!

I think in the circumstances though that it is acceptable to DELETE all file, replace those that you like, and be determined only to buy officially released material in the future...... if you are unsure, go to a bands website, someone will be able to help you with authenticity information.

Well done you for seeing the light though!!!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 13:39
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The problem is the Russians say they are legal and they pay royalties, but I have been told (by Nick Barrett) that the artists do NOT receive royalties from these sites. They are now being clamped down on - I read recently that allofmp3.com was being targeted but haven't seen anything since.[

This is true, the artists recieve NOTHING from these sites, you are being CONNED when you buy an album for $1 from russia!!!!

I think in the circumstances though that it is acceptable to DELETE all file, replace those that you like, and be determined only to buy officially released material in the future...... if you are unsure, go to a bands website, someone will be able to help you with authenticity information.

Well done you for seeing the light though!!!

Thanks p-c. I hope that's not a self-portrait in your avatar!
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 14:08
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

The person buying the album gets what he wants cheap, so I wouldn't say he's the one being conned.
Psychedelia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 19:59
This is ridiculous. If you downloaded a lot then there is no way you should buy them all. It is a real waste of money. It is not particularly unethical i'm sure the artists wont really care if they get about 50p more money from you. I illegally download quite a bit mainly to see if i like a band i.e. using it as a sampler. This is just way overboard on the rightoussness front.
Another emotional suicide, overdosed on sentiment and pride
 Post Reply Post Reply