Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italian Prog For Beginners - Reloaded
    Posted: September 29 2008 at 17:19
Fine! Smile
Just let me know where you're goingo to post it...
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 17:27
Andrea:
My friend i have already the spanish version of your essay i you want to see before we post send me a PM

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:51

JANUS

Here you can find a very short video of Janus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOQPAsLnld4

Intersting albums for collectors, but the sound quality is very far from perfect

Info about Janus from Italianprog.com:

Created by Mario Ladich along with ex-Nuovo Canto Popolare singer/guitarist Fabio Torriero, Janus were formed in Rome in 1975 in the right wing political movements circuit and never had an easy life as the italian musical scene and rock concert organization during the 70's were led by left wing movements. The first name of the band was Janum, that was later corrected in the right form of Janus (the roman god of the beginnings).
After a debut single, in late 1976, by the original four-piece line-up, still under the early name of Janum, Torriero left the group, and a new line-up was assembled by drummer Ladich along with a guitarist and a bass player. This line-up only released an EP in 1977.
Even if he didn't take part in the recording of the EP, guitarist Stefano Recchioni (killed during a political riot in 1978) was briefly in the band in this early period, that saw no less than four different singers in the band.
Their only album, the privately released Al maestrale came in late 1978, mixing together the early hard rock influences of the band with a slight folky touch (with good use of flute) and even some punk inspired sounds (like in Manifestazione non autorizzata). 
Vocal parts are rather weak and the short album (under 30 minutes) generally suffers from lack of professional musicianship and production, but it contains some good moments. A second album, recorded in 1981 by a guitar-less four piece line-up always led by Ladich, was never released and only two instrumental tracks from the recording sessions were issued on the band's last single. The group split in late 1981. Group leader drummer Mario Ladich also took part in the recording of the rare album Science and violence by
Carrè Ladich Marchal in 1979.

COMPAGNIA DELL’ANELLO

Here you can find the link to the official website of La Compagnia dell’Anello:

http://www.compagniadellanello.net/

The short samples on the official website and the very low quality video that you can find on youtube do not really give an idea of their music... Especially their first album “Terra di Thule” is not bad, although very far from the level of  Italian prog masters like PFM, Le Orme or BMS

Anyway here you can find the links for some decents youtube videos:

Info about La Compagnia dell’Anello from Italianprog.com:

Active in Padova since 1974 with various line-ups, in 1977 the band became La Compagnia dell'Anello (one of the chapters in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings), and was strongly connected with right wing youth movements. 
Janus, they had a good live activity in those circuits since their early years, but could only release a self produced debut album in 1983. The recently reissued Terra di Thule is a good folk-rock album containing dreamy ballads mainly built on acoustic guitar, piano and vocals, while the second side has more keyboards and instrumental parts.
The original LP is rare.
A second album, In rotta per Bisanzio, followed in 1990.

Edited by andrea - April 22 2009 at 14:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 12:56
Andrea, yesterday i read again your article and see this:
"Actually, there were also bands with political tendencies openly for the right wing, like Janus or La Compagnia dell’Anello, but they didn’t have any commercial impact at all and they had to operate in almost “clandestine conditions”".

Did you hear those bands?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 18:00
ok Andrea thanks a lot, i already see this in that page too,Smile thanks and i will PM when i have ready the traslation.
Cheers

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 16:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 16:02
Andrea your article is great!!!! can i traslate into spanish my mother tongue?

Thanks this is solid gold.
Alberto

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 10:14
Fabulous work for the Italian Prog genre, Andrea, many many thanks for your efforts.  Clap

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 15:33
also while  not directly relating to RPI but to what I would do to the site.. which is blow the whole damn existing  sub-genre system to hell...

'The main contribuation of Continental bands was to bring national characteristics to bear on the idiom (progressive rock)'

he then uses Prog Andaluz as an example which could... or should be a sub-genre here if... hahahha... we go sub-genre crazy here.

Edited by micky - April 03 2007 at 15:34
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 15:31
while taking a break...from things Art Rock LOL... I thumbed through that book Andrea.. and came to one page on Italian prog.  What he lacked in brevity...he said with clarity LOL

'Italian bands introduced an emphasis on lyricism, vocal effusiveness, and melodrama (OH YEAH hahahha) that often differentiates them from their English colleagues'
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I've read that... LOL.  Have you read the whole book.. .the idiot thinks that all prog can be explained as a function of English culture and the upper society hahahhahha. 

look for a PM from me Andrea...maybe I can make what we are doing more clear....

I see... Well, I will try to contribute...
I just think that the best place where try to explain and describe music and lyrics is in the reviews of the albums rather than in another blog... Anyway in RPI is almost impossible to separate music and its "social connections"...

Just a few examples:

As for the book, I like the author's approach but I haven't finished it yet...

exactly.. it really can't be seperated... that whole book says nothing to what you all dealt with and experienced in Italy ...or Germany for that matter that directly influenced the prog movements in those two countries.  That book  is a complete 'anglo-centric' version of prog.

Edited by micky - April 03 2007 at 12:08
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 17:12

I've read that... LOL.  Have you read the whole book.. .the idiot thinks that all prog can be explained as a function of English culture and the upper society hahahhahha. 

look for a PM from me Andrea...maybe I can make what we are doing more clear....

I see... Well, I will try to contribute...
I just think that the best place where try to explain and describe music and lyrics is in the reviews of the albums rather than in another blog... Anyway in RPI is almost impossible to separate music and its "social connections"...

Just a few examples:

As for the book, I like the author's approach but I haven't finished it yet...

Edited by andrea - April 02 2007 at 17:41
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 15:27

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 15:21

just an update.. a second part ... entry if you will.. is being worked on. 

Andrea P. did a stellar job with historical basis of RPI, next up is the musical basis of it.

Anyone who has any thoughts can PM me, I know there are many here who have quite a knowledge of RPI beyond the big 4.

Sorry, I can’t catch what do you mean...

Just some quotes from the book “Rocking the Classics – English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture” by Edward Macan...

First, no music exists outside any society... Second, if no music can really be asocial, no music can be “timeless” either... Finally, the European approach to musical analysis not only neglects the relationship between music and audience by concentrating exclusively on the sounds themselves, but it also limits itself to those elements (harmony, melody, meter and structural organization) which the European notational system can accurately convey...

As a result of its insistence upon the “objective” existence of music in some sort of ideal world outside time and society, traditional musicology has tended to isolate the music it attempts to illuminate from the realm of everyday experience. As a result, it has increasingly become a hermetic pursuit of no interest to anyone but other musicologists, and has had difficulty in engaging issues that are truly meaningful to contemporary society... Music exists as a form of communication between people of a certain time and, most often, a certain place...

Analyzing the sounds should not be an end in itself. The ultimate goal of musicology, in my view, should be to document the relationship between music and society, because people do not exist for music: music exists for people. I felt that only through reconnecting music to real people in specific times and places could musicology connect with society at large, engage it in a symbiotic dialogue, and thus avoid the death by social irrelevance to which a continued reliance on unexamined positivism will surely condemn it...

Dear Micky, I fear that you’re on the wrong way...  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:27
just an update.. a second part ... entry if you will.. is being worked on. 

Andrea P. did a stellar job with historical basis of RPI, next up is the musical basis of it.

Anyone who has any thoughts can PM me, I know there are many here who have quite a knowledge of RPI beyond the big 4.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 03:16
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

^^^^ Thank you for the feedback

Garion81, I don't think PFM are reluctant to play in the USA... Probably it's just a problem of management and budget... Anyway in this period they are touring in Italy and they're still a great band!

I know... I think I missed one of their shows here in Rome by a week or two Angry. At least we can catch Le Orme Big%20smile
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 14:09
^^^^ Thank you for the feedback

Garion81, I don't think PFM are reluctant to play in the USA... Probably it's just a problem of management and budget... Anyway in this period they are touring in Italy and they're still a great band!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 19:32

"However, also some progressive fans would deserve to be put on the Index because they’re too “nostalgic” and bound exclusively to the bands of the golden era while they don’t pay enough attention to the new bands, as an emerging band, Taproban, remark in an interview: -  It’s the world of progressive rock that is indifferent towards itself. "

Very good article Andrea.  I am copying this statement because this is not just true in Italy but everywhere in the world. 

I also have  a question; a band like PFM still has followers in the USA but they seem very reluctant to play here (2005 at the Nearfest Legends Pre Show is a big exception)  What is their reasoning for not touring here?

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
markl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 22:08
ClapClap nice article  great job !!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 19:48
Originally posted by cucacola54 cucacola54 wrote:

ahh great work, thank you a lot!   Thumbs%20UpClap

It really was... it was something I took a stab at early on but without knowing the language well enough to read source materials.. Andrea P took it over.. good thing as well...I couldn't have done a quarter the job Andrea did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>