Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 26>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 10:53
The other day I picked up a cheap old copy of DSOTM on vinyl, and have reacquainted myself with the joy old putting the needle on the record, and hearing the original version, all scratchy and wonderful.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 11:03
David Gilmour's most recent release "Live In Gdansk" has some nice renditions of some Pink Floyd tracks. And I think it's the last recorded performance of Richard Wright.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 11:24
I've recently noticed on Amazon that the Pink Floyd back catalog is about to be re-released once again. I and many other vulgers wonder if this time they will include bonus tracks such as..."Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man". ...or...even some of those Zabrinskie's Point sessions tracks they've been holding out on for so many years. Wouldn't that be a fine trick? I would love to see this material be officially released and mixed properly as well.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 15:34
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

The other day I picked up a cheap old copy of DSOTM on vinyl, and have reacquainted myself with the joy old putting the needle on the record, and hearing the original version, all scratchy and wonderful.
That's the way I like Atom Heart Mother the most. I know all the scratches of my old LP...

More than Scream Thy Last Scream or Vegetable Man which are the last shot of a sick genius, I'd like to see The Embryo officially released. It's a song which deserved a proper release.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 16:29
^ I assume you mean a 12+ minute live version of Embryo, the shorter studio version was released on A Breath of Fresh Air and Works.
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 16:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ I assume you mean a 12+ minute live version of Embryo, the shorter studio version was released on A Breath of Fresh Air and Works.

I mean how they played it in the two BBC specials when the band presented the still unreleased Atom Heart Mother. Yes, I think it was more than 12 minutes. I don't know the two compilations above. Do they deserve to be purchased? 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 16:44
it's always a pleasure talk about Pink Floyd. I born musically with them and after I can't stop to love them!! probably they are the most important band of all times, pure intelligence, always one step ahead, the power of creativity.
It's hard to say which is the best album. Is also difficult to say which is my favorite. Maybe Animals, or The Dark Side Of The Moon. Anyway every time I listen to Pink Floyd I discover new sounds, as if I had never heard them before.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 17:21
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I mean how they played it in the two BBC specials when the band presented the still unreleased Atom Heart Mother. Yes, I think it was more than 12 minutes. I don't know the two compilations above. Do they deserve to be purchased? 
Ah, from the John Peel show, 16th July 1970 - yes, that would be good to see as an official release.

A Breath of Fresh Air is a very good history of Harvest Records, if you're into that era of British music. Works doesn't offer much.
What?
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 09:42
rotten hound of the burnie crew
KonradKupiec View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KonradKupiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 15:19
Hey everyone,

Can't add much more that's already been said, but it's my first post on here so I figured I'd get started in the right place, appreciating the prog band that transcends prog - Pink Floyd Smile

Cheers! 
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 11:58
Always there's something new to add about Pink Floyd's works:
Thank You Alan Parsons for your superb contribution to the timeless DSOTM !, your essential "Echoes" transcends all time forever...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 13:56
Confused He didn't have anything to do with Echoes or Meddle. He was the studio engineer for some of the time on Atom Heart Mother though.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 14:27
^As far as i'm concerned he did a great job as sound engineer for the DSOTM album, one remarkably noticed is that "echoes" sounds he brilliantly introduced in the songs "Us and Them" and "The Great Gig In The Sky". 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 16:14
Amazing to think that 20 years already have passed since that final gig... And how I wish... how I wish I was there...

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 16:18
Just want to say i've always appreciated "Animals".
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 16:23
^Just say it as much as you can... and as you like it.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 17:30
What a coincidence, I'm listening to The Division Bell right now Big smile
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:22
Sometimes I feel like that first PF's albums are not appreciated, unfortunately... So many people know Another Brick in the Wall, Money but don't know Interstellar Overdrive, A Saucerful of Secrets, The Narrow Way pt. 3. Btw, my track is Shine On You Crazy Diamond but favourite album probably Ummagumma but I can't say why. :D :D
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:06
Battersea Power Station to be demolished and rebuilt.  http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/01/world/battersea-power-station/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Battersea Power Station as depicted on the cover of Pink Floyd\s album \
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Battersea Power Station to be demolished and rebuilt.  http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/01/world/battersea-power-station/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Battersea Power Station as depicted on the cover of Pink Floyd\s album \

Cry
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 26>