Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 12:02
I like PF In USSR they used to be a Symbol of Art/Prog Rock, and even GENESIS and YES were less popular than PFs.

Dark Side,WYWH and Animals are really flawless.The Wall is weaker musically,but it has awesome movie-incarnation (one of my favouritest movies ever!).Early albums are Post-Rock parents
Dieu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 12:23
Pink Floyd introduced me to progressive too, when I was 14 years old (I'm now 36). The Wall was the first CD I bought in 1986.
Only sick music makes money today.
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fassbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 12:33
Where have you been with your appreciation thread some 10 years ago? I was then a big fan of Pink Floyd. I truly thought there couldn't be anything better. Now I can appreciate... not them, properly, but only my nostalgic feelings towards those years...

I still like The Wall, however...

Pink Floyd music was one of the most important steps in my way into progressive rock (if you count this as an appreciation), but now I hardly find an interest in listening to it...
TheDrake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 18:32
The Wall, guys, The Wall.
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 18:42
R.I.P. Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett.Cry

If it weren't for Syd, I never would have picked up a guitar in the first place, never would be an avid fan of pyschedelic music, never would appreciate the little things in life. I actually have had the pleasure of speaking briefly with Nick Mason over the telephone to give my deepest regard to the family of Mr. Barrett and to wish Mr. Mason luck in his future. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Beauty will save the world.
Kim Ankara View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Ankara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 07:05
Originally posted by jtullprog jtullprog wrote:

As a young prog listener, only 15 years old, I would have never gotten into this music without Floyd as a gateway.

Same, the first time I heard "On the Run" I knew I'd discovered something amazing. I also fondly remember hearing Money for the first time (I had never heard it on the radio).

Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands, luckily my dad has a box set of every album up to Dark Side, makes the back-catalogue purchasing a lot easier. I love nearly everything they've put out; the two soundtrack albums are my favourites along with Animals and Division Bell.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakespeare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:22
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Good news for me, Roger Waters is comming to Lima in March.

Iván

I already got my tickets for his show in Ottawa Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile!

Also, an anonymous caller has bought me tickets to Rush. Dead serious. Somebody  has bought me tickets, but my mom won't tell me who.
Maga View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 14:05
dark side of the moon is my first memory ever, my mother used to play it for me when i was in her womb
"be honest and unmerciful"
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 18:04
Pink floyd has been my favorite band all my life, Animals and the Wall and Atom heart mother are my fav albums  from this band. Does anybody know the  very good french  PF clone  called Negative zone, they really recreate the typically PF atmosphere as accurately as possible spanning their career from Pipers to the Wall in a confident manner with compositions that are all their own?.
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glass house Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 18:59
I know negative Zone Dirk. A pleasure to listen to.

At a young age I started to listen to WYWH amongst all my hardrock cd's. I still listen to it a lot. Pink Floyd is like a warm coat, i feel snug and comfortable in it.

darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksideof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 04:58
The mighty Floyd are the band that got me into Prog 22 years ago.!!!!!!!!
and I am still a big fan after all those years. I have everything they ever did and some bootleg too. I am bless that I saw them when they last time they tour in the usa back in 1994 and still today it has been the greatest live show I ever seen. I recently saw TOOL on their 10,000 dream tour and I saw how much PInk Floyd Had influenced this great band brilliant. Prog is nothing without the mighty FLOYD!!!!!!!!!

I love porcupine tree because of their PF influence everywhere.
Radiohead :Ok computer is am excellent album beacuse of PF influence. they critics called them once they new PInk Floyd.
early Tangerine Dream is so incredible interesting beause of also the mayor influences of PF.
Dream Theater did the whole dark and they had amitted their big influences, tool and symphony x as well
Early Gong and Eloy are heavyly loaded with early floyd sound. essenciaI.

I think PT is the only prog band out there that albums like the wall and the dark side of the moon have been done in its intirely by the prog musicians themselves. Guys like steve howe, steve hacket, ian anderson, rick wakeman. jhon wetton, andrew below, tony levin, alan white, etc........
Ok who else?l. get my point.!!!!!!!
Prog would be nothing without the mighty FLOYD!!!!!!!!!

Edited by darksideof - April 22 2007 at 05:17
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 07:53
Originally posted by giantenemycrab giantenemycrab wrote:

I really think that "Dark side of the Moon" could be the best CD ever produced..  How's that for appreciation? Just kidding.

If you're talking purely about the engineering and production, then it is the best PF album ever.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philéas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 08:34
Do we really need a thread like this?
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydian42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 11:09
No one else is so creative to make music that you can so much drift away too and listen intensely, No one
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 23:35
Originally posted by Dieu Dieu wrote:

Pink Floyd introduced me to progressive too, when I was 14 years old (I'm now 36). The Wall was the first CD I bought in 1986.

same man, even though I didnt know they were prog until I listened to yes, I thought they were another classic rock band.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomic_Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 23:45
Speaking of Pink Floyd, on youtube you can see a video of Gilmour singing "Comfortably Numb" with Robert Wyatt singing the part of the doctor.  Its very good.

Dark Side of the Moon was the second prog album I got after ITCOTCK, though I didn't know either were prog at the time.
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
cyberiancygnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberiancygnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 17:00
Originally posted by TheDrake TheDrake wrote:

The Wall, guys, The Wall.

hear hearSmile

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 20:33
Floyd fans, don't miss this clip.  It's the Floyd at their peak doing Astronomy while Syd was still together and lucid, but the real treat is after the performance watching them being interviewed by old BBC curmudgeon Hans Keller.....who pisses Roger off by scolding them for being too loud. 

And what a joy watching Syd actually respond coherently, this is just before his rapid decline started.  Hans speak both before and after the performance. 

Great video!  Here's the link.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ts-2lg5fpQ4

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A B Negative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 11:35
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Do we really need a thread like this?

Why not?

The first prog album I heard was DSOTM when I was a young kid in the 70s. I didn't know it was prog, I just knew I liked it (although the yodelling on The Great Gig In the Sky is too over-the-top for my taste).

In 1980 I was 13 and becoming more seriously interested in music. My Floyd collection consisted of Meddle and Relics. I loved sitting in the dark listening to Echoes or Interstellar Overdrive (and I still do).

I started playing in a band with my school friends. Our repertoire was mostly made up of Floyd songs.

I gradually got hold of all the Floyd albums and solo albums apart from Richard Wright's Wet Dream (I've still not heard it) and I'm eternally grateful to Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports for introducing me to Robert Wyatt's amazing voice.

Then it all fell apart. I love the bleakness of The Final Cut but it was obvious things couldn't continue the way they were going. After Waters left, things became too smooth for my liking. For me, Floyd without Waters (and Waters without Floyd) is missing that vital element that makes the difference between good and great.

Live 8 was very, very special but I'm glad the reformation didn't last - how horrible would it be if Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason made an album that was mediocre?

Edited by A B Negative - May 12 2008 at 05:24
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 12:47
How did I miss this thread? LOL

Pink Floyd have been my favourite band since I was 13 (look at my profile and do the maths), from the moment of first hearing I was hooked, the music just slotted into a floyd-shaped hole that had naturally formed in the nether reaches of my brain and stayed there. Other bands have come and gone, leaving traces behind, but they all go and spoil it by making an album or song that I just don't like. I've never had that with Floyd ... Even A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is fine by me, not a classic any means, yet it's not squirmingly embarrassing like some of the low-points that other bands released during the 80s.

People seem to forget that Floyd were popular before Dark Side of the Moon - Atom Heart Mother was their first Number One album in the UK. All of their studio albums have been UK Top Ten hits - no other progressive band can make that claim.

Yet, I get the impression that Floyd never tried to please anyone but themselves, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here were never inteneded to be a huge crossover albums, they just made albums of music that they wanted to make - following no trends, or even wanting to set them. If they wanted that then Animals would have been a totally different album, The Wall would have never been recorded and The Final Cut would have been a Roger Waters solo album. The fact that they have become huge critical and commercial successes that have stood the test of time is a testament to the music, not to any hype or fashion-trend and I admire that.

Fanboi? You bet Approve
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>